Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I regularly compare Republicans to cancer without a hint of hyperbole and even I think that this is something to be skeptical about.

No poo poo, lets all wait for at least a shred of evidence instead of uncritically accepting Iranian propaganda at face value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
This doesn't pass the smell test at all, sounds like nonsense for public consumption in Iran on the eve of their elections. They just restricted some candidates so I imagine this is a way to change the news cycle there.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Assuming it's bullshit, what's the reasoning behind it? Are they really trying to goose the Democrats' chance in the elections? I would assume that most Iranian propaganda is meant for domestic consumption, but I don't really see how this should make much of a difference one way or the other.

Like I already said, there's a bunch of poo poo going on with their elections and they'd love to be able to turn the internal conversation away from that. Remember the green revolution? They'd rather not do that one again. This is a classic rally round the flag ploy, nothing solidifies the ruling party like external influence.

The other important thing to remember is that there is just as much internal conflict in Iran over the nuclear deal than there is in the states (maybe more), things like this that could potentially weaken that deal should be treated with suspicion.

evilmiera posted:

So did this just get proven as false or is it not really being investigated?

If it's being investigated there's no way in hell they'd publicize it. The real risk is that this happens:

paranoid randroid posted:

i think its more likely that the democrats would fumble hard on the spin and end up getting it turned into "those loving idiot libs take Iran at their word. what a bunch of jackasses, right?"

cuz, yknow, democrats

At this point this should be treated how we treat kremlin/rt propaganda, because the timing is really suspect and there's no evidence provided.

• Locked thread