Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Tigntink posted:

"I remember FDR taking office like it was yesterday..."

Sanders is allowed to remember the young man who influenced him greatly actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goetta posted:

It'd be cool to be able to tell 1970s Bernie Sanders that if he worked real hard someday he would eventually get a chance to poo poo all over Kissinger in front of millions of people

Maybe next time, he'll poo poo all over Robert Moses. :pray:

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
churchill was a safe and bad answer.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

euphemism posted:

He considered the man to be like a son, give him a break

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

euphemism posted:

It was safe, but not necessarily bad. Churchill brought a ton of people together around a single cause that otherwise hated each other. Bernie sees himself in the same vein.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

He considered the man to be like a son, give him a break

haha this reminds me of a fdr joke i heard

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

KillHour posted:

It was safe, but not necessarily bad. Churchill brought a ton of people together around a single cause that otherwise hated each other. Bernie sees himself in the same vein.

Churchill was a eugenicist.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agreed this is how I Feel 100%

gently caress you human being liberals with your worthless women's studies degrees rot in hell

TRUMP

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Not a Step posted:

Maternal leave is cool and good, but as the secondary earner who will be primary care giver for future offspring it would be nice to skip the battle over non traditional gender roles and implement maternal/paternal leave in one go.

It's called it Family/Maternity leave and dads will not be left out.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Vile posted:

gently caress you human being liberals with your worthless women's studies degrees rot in hell

TRUMP

I've got a math degree actually :shobon:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
But they said woman's studies would be full of hot chicks...

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

KillHour posted:

Winston Churchill posted:

The part played in the creation of Bolshevism and in the actual bringing about of the Russian Revolution by these international and for the most part atheistic Jews ... is certainly a very great one; it probably outweighs all others. With the notable exception of Lenin, the majority of the leading figures are Jews. Moreover, the principal inspiration and driving power comes from Jewish leaders ... The same evil prominence was obtained by Jews in (Hungary and Germany, especially Bavaria).

Although in all these countries there are many non-Jews every whit as bad as the worst of the Jewish revolutionaries, the part played by the latter in proportion to their numbers in the population is astonishing.

One may dislike Hitler’s system and yet admire his patriotic achievement. If our country were defeated I hope we should find a champion as indomitable to restore our courage and lead us back to our place among the nations.

I am strongly in favour of using poisoned gas against uncivilised tribes. The moral effect should be so good that the loss of life should be reduced to a minimum. It is not necessary to use only the most deadly gasses: gasses can be used which cause great inconvenience and would spread a lively terror and yet would leave no serious permanent effects on most of those affected.

R. Guyovich has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Feb 12, 2016

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind
yeah the only question is would he get hammered on it, he didn't, thankfully. also i think attacking churchill is hard but hillary had the knowhow to do it.

Vile
Aug 28, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

memy posted:

I've got a math degree actually :shobon:

loving SJW Nerd

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Churchill was also the one who brought Stalin into the Allied cause. The Societ Union was too important.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

gohmak posted:

It's called it Family/Maternity leave and dads will not be left out.

I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be nice.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Churchill was also the one who brought Stalin into the Allied cause. The Societ Union was too important.

out of necessity, sure. his betrayal of greek partisans showed his true colors though and he hated the soviets more than the nazis

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Not a Step posted:

I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be nice.

What is hard to believe? last year my city government job passed a new policy for 12 weeks paid leave just in time for our new child. I took mine after my wife returned to work after her 12 weeks unpaid.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Honestly it can be a hard question because pretty much every world leader is going to have a kernel of shittiness in their history (some more than others). Any figure the candidate references leaves them open to people digging up the worst parts of their record as if the candidates had intentionally, sincerely endorsed the entirety of that individual. The answers are less about the full reality of the alluded leader than the specific aspect that the candidate is evoking and their reasoning as to why that is important to them.

That being said, Churchill is one of those figures that is in desperate need of deflating in US culture, much like Reagan.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Vile posted:

TRUMP

They're moving towards calling it "gender studies" now. My college actually offers Masculinities (studying male gender roles) as a class some quarters.
My friend, the cause of gender equality will set you free, when both men and women are freed from the restraints of rigid gender expectations and truly allowed the freedom to do whatever the gently caress they want.
actually the ideal future probably involves finding a way to make physical transition between the sexes so easy that people do it all the time, so that most people experience being both a man and a woman. or maybe I have read far too much science fiction (but read John Varley's work everyone, Steel Beach is amazing).

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

No dude that was hitler

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Neeksy posted:

Honestly it can be a hard question because pretty much every world leader is going to have a kernel of shittiness in their history (some more than others). Any figure the candidate references leaves them open to people digging up the worst parts of their record as if the candidates had intentionally, sincerely endorsed the entirety of that individual. The answers are less about the full reality of the alluded leader than the specific aspect that the candidate is evoking and their reasoning as to why that is important to them.

there are a few Cândido Rondons in there who were great dudes and also no one else knows enough about to "gotcha" you about

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'm like 15 minutes into this and getting bored since Hillary is just being her usual piece of poo poo human being and Bernie apparently doesn't have the balls to do anything but keep repeating his stump speech, are there any good moments along the lines of Christie crucifying Rubio to look forward to?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Vile posted:

TRUMP

hey if you wanna be a winner and have a ton of sex in college do the exact opposite of what this guy says

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Wheeee posted:

I'm like 15 minutes into this and getting bored since Hillary is just being her usual piece of poo poo human being and Bernie apparently doesn't have the balls to do anything but keep repeating his stump speech, are there any good moments along the lines of Christie crucifying Rubio to look forward to?

Very last sentence of the debate, before closing statements

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

I missed the debate last night and didn't see a summary in the last ten pages or so - how'd it go overall? Any general winner or especially interesting exchanges?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

I missed the debate last night and didn't see a summary in the last ten pages or so - how'd it go overall? Any general winner or especially interesting exchanges?

Bernie pointed out that Henry Kissinger is a huge piece of poo poo, argued that regime change is often a poo poo strategy by schooling America about the US's role in loving up Iran.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Bernie supporters thought he did real good. Hillary supporters thought she did real good. Focus groups in Nevada favored Bernie by large margins.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cheesetriangles posted:

Bernie supporters thought he did real good. Hillary supporters thought she did real good. Focus groups in Nevada favored Bernie by large margins.

I'm already seeing articles that Bernie was "disastrous" on foreign policy, though, which appears to the be the establishment line of attack on him.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm already seeing articles that Bernie was "disastrous" on foreign policy, though, which appears to the be the establishment line of attack on him.

Of course he's disastrous, he doesn't support the forever war.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bernie was way better on foreign policy than he has been previously

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
I think it's bizarre how somebody can be "obviously stronger" on foreign policy, repeated universally among news outlets, with the specific points of the "strongness" never ever specified anywhere by anybody.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

i believe "strongness" is closely tied to the ability to justify or plain ignore civilian casualties and human suffering in general

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
So was there anything actually of note or will this change things at all? I'm watching a "highlights" video but I'm just hearing the same things as always.

edit: I liked Bernie blasting the GOP for being hypocrites on women's choices tho

Gibberish has issued a correction as of 15:00 on Feb 12, 2016

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There you go: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/12/bernie-sanders-squandered-lead-hillary-clinton-democratic-debate

The way the Guardian treats Corbyn and Sanders is quite intersting, incidentally. The only bits still I still reading are the articles by Jeb Lund and Stewart Lee.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I like people saying we shouldn't stick our dick into every single hornets nest in the middle east is somehow weak foreign policy. Because every military adventure in the region always ends amazingly well.

Also gently caress off hillary with that rah rah killed bin laden garbage. Biden was right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Ibogaine posted:

There you go: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/12/bernie-sanders-squandered-lead-hillary-clinton-democratic-debate

The way the Guardian treats Corbyn and Sanders is quite intersting, incidentally. The only bits still I still reading are the articles by Jeb Lund and Stewart Lee.

Thats because they're not really a left wing paper and in particular are clearly upset their readership ignored them to vote for Corbyn instead of their neo-liberal choice. Frankie Boyle is also good most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Jose posted:

Thats because they're not really a left wing paper and in particular are clearly upset their readership ignored them to vote for Corbyn instead of their neo-liberal choice. Frankie Boyle is also good most of the time

are there any uk papers that are really left wing anymore, besides, like, the morning star? even the new statesman has turned to poo poo in the last decade

• Locked thread