Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Nice to have an actual debate for once. It was a bit wonky, but eh, PBS, what'd ya gonna do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Brannock posted:

I was part of the 2011 protests against Walker that occupied the state capitol. I hosted several OWS organizers and protestors who were traveling the country and stopped in Madison before going on to NYC. Tonight is the first time that Hillary has spoken directly on the issue -- as far as I know -- and she saved it until the very end when she needed to make an impression on the Wisconsinite audience and directly attacked Walker on the issues. While I appreciate the condemnation of Walker, I can't help but see it as opportunistic and self-serving. Where was this support five years ago?

Like the first thing she said was an attack on Walker, it might have actually been in her opening remarks. She also went after Walker in her response to Bernies college proposal. I could be conflating those two.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

No, but really, why is a Democrat defending Henry Kissinger in 2016?

I'm not sure why she wouldn't jump at the chance other than a general desire to not be seen as too aggro

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah who the gently caress is against maternity leave in 2016? Why is this even a topic?

Yes, let's just have the woman pop out the child on the office floor.

Paid maternity leave. The FMLA sucks.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Joementum posted:

Or perhaps, and I'm just spitballin' here, she's part of some kind of political establishment that is still friendly to him.

please don't troll, here in the most troll-free forums on the internet

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I posted this in irc but didn't see if someone stole it

"The Mandela thing makes sense, Hillary probably feels some sort of connection to politicians who spent a lot of time in prison"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pick posted:

Even the lack of protections regarding duration of unpaid are huge problems.

Well, by statute it's super short anyway (also iirc it's cumulative within a year so gently caress you if you have a kid and something else happens that you need time for), and there's no really good way to enforce it because you'd have to sue which is probably tricky if you don't have a job any more'

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pick posted:

Right, I think maybe I misunderstood you. My point was that the lack of paid maternity leave is bad, but the unpaid angle is also super bad. It's bad to the core.

Ah, yeah, maybe we're talking at each other. The entire thing is bad and it's one of the reasons I like Hillary. She's very consistent on certain issues that I think would be really impactful that I don't feel like Bernie talks about much.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Brannock posted:

Please murder me for marxsplaining.

Scott Walker has been trying to do that for years, what makes you think we'll have better luck

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pick posted:

Yeah. And my original reason for bringing it up is, unlike abortion, I really do not think I have ever met a woman against it, even the very most hardcore Republicans I know.

Well, women are the ones who kinda get confronted by it the most. There's also a big elder care thing that gets missed - women quite often are the ones who wind up taking care of aging parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Pick posted:

I haven't seen her bring that one up, though.

I think tonight was the most anyone talked about seniors and it was sort of the standard social security pablum that doesn't really go anywhere imo.

It's a super loving hard topic because it cuts across a whole lot of areas and there's really no good answer to any of it. How much should we spend to keep people alive for a few more months? How do we take care of people who can't take care of themselves? How do we take care of the people who take care of those people? The conversation about seniors seems mostly to focus around this vague notion that Social Security should be less lovely - and it should be - but there's some real cultural poo poo about death, dying, family, and independence that we don't talk about and don't address in the political process.

To top it off, of course, long amounts of leave to deal with elder care and such gets taken from FMLA allotments which suck and are unpaid are notoriously easy for the employer to abuse even if you're in a decent job, to say nothing of the poor sod who works in a less skilled trade.

• Locked thread