Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Bought a PS4 almost exclusively for this game. Finally.

Gonna change the menu music to be non-stop IROC-Z Song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Baseball mmo sound p neat, yes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Picked this up today, might finally make a RTTS dude.

Or I'll just play 15 iterations of draft Twins teams and pray. Either way I'm getting my drat $60 out of it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I suppose this only includes accounts from prior to a certain date, huh? Because I've just been sitting here not playing my copy.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Casnorf posted:

You have to have logged in to the game at all before I think Friday at 1pm.

Well I'm out then. Fie.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So I knew getting into this that there was a lot to do in the game. Like it's basically four different baseball video games all mashed on top of each other. I panic defaulted to Franchise, but how much of a time investment are DD/Conquest/RttS as well? I don't even know where to start beyond "Play a baseball season."

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Ice To Meet You posted:

It's not that bad. The key is to grab as many open spaces as possible at the start of the game. Don't worry about strongholds yet. Just concentrate all your reinforcements into one space and cut a swath of destruction through your enemies. You get an extra reinforcement per turn for every 3 spaces you control, so as long as you keep picking up spaces, you should be able to get a numerical advantage when you're ready to attack a stronghold.

Once I took out the Rockies and Twins, I had more territory than any other team, so I just kept on slowly expanding until I got close to another stronghold. The majority of the time, I was able to play that game on Veteran.

Oh so it's baseball Risk. Neat.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

StupidNewbie posted:

I saw this listed in their bug reports, so it's not just me. I'm just wondering how widespread it is, or if someone knows what's going on.

After playing a game in RTTS, the game goes to the "item reward" screen. It spins for a little bit and then says that the connection to The Show shop has been lost. A few seconds later, my PS4 says that it has lost the Wi-Fi connection. The game is completely frozen after that.

I'm thinking it's something about my setup, but I have no idea. Any clues?

Nah, it's the server being poo poo still. It's doing it on my wired connection, too.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eifert Posting posted:

My wife is convinced The Show's developers are racist because a bunch of Korean players aren't in the game and there are about 50 more recorded Japanese names than Korean.

Well it *is* arguably the most accurate representation of Major League Baseball...

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Here is the story of Boy Howdy the 3B:

Performed terribly at Midwest prospect tryouts, drafted late rounds by the Blue Jays, where he was sent to AA at 18 and behind their Top 50 prospect and Josh Goddamned Donaldson. Called up to AAA just before the All-Star break. Came in second in average for the team because he couldn't take a walk to save his soul. Won the IL pennant with the Bisons, while leading the team in HR during that series. Had one appearance in the AAA Chapionship while getting demolished in that series. Re-signed by the Jays to a AAA contract.

Immediately traded to the Mets, whereupon he was added to the 40-man and invited to spring training. Made a platoon/bench slot out of ST, sharing time with David Wright. First MLB hit was a no-doubt 3-run HR into the second deck.

All before turning 19.

RttS is pretty neat, I guess.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Is there actually a server maintenance schedule for this game? Official channels are vague at best (or down right now!) and googling isn't any help because angry gamers. Should I just expect downtime on Tuesdays?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Traded from the Blue Jays as AAA backup to the Mets as platoon 3B/bench guy to the Rockies on Monday of All-Star Break to the Angels after the game to be starting 3B. Hitting around .350 and currently first for RotY. Also learned how to walk and getting better at stealing.

Baseball.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

RTTS is quite possibly the most "Just one more turn!" thing I have ever played. "Just one more series" *3 hours later* "One more won't hurt!"

Definitely not an empty quote.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

vyst posted:

If you don't care about playing online do you all feel this is still a fun game? I prefer just doing make a player modes and playing solo to pass the time.

RttS is the most fun I've had playing a baseball game in a long time. I mean, it's basically a baseball aRPG, but it's an interesting twist. That said, to really do everything the game has to offer, I think there needs to be some online play. But I wouldn't know because I'm still playing all the solo poo poo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The controller yells were not a thing for me until the patch (which I didn't get til just now) and it's in Presentation Options -> Audio/Video -> RTTS Player Yells.

The patch notes claim that Dynamic Difficulty has been fixed but idk. I've been stuck just under Veteran+ forever and I assumed it was because I suck.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

Do the base coaches yell at me through the controller in RTTS? That's what I really need, I'm tired of my manager looking forlorn in the dugout because I didn't try to take an extra base on a ball nowhere near deep enough for that sort of thing but they apparently wanted me to do anyway?

I never listen to the coaches. It doesn't matter how many bases I take because the god drat loving Angels are gonna strand me wherever I am anyway.

But yes I think they're supposed to yell at you. But do you really listen when it's Mecha-Mike Scioscia telling you what to do?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inspector_666 posted:

Well I'm still in AAA.

In the Phillies system.

I had to look up their manager and then look up the manager's name because I was like "Is this a real person?"

Well to be fair I'm in my second year of MLB after having won RotY and now Mike Scioscia is managing some other team (Red Sox? I think?) despite us still being called "Mike Scioscia's Angels lineup." This game is weird sometimes.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

VermiciousKnid84 posted:

Oh you're role-playing Andrelton Simmons that's cool.

It's funny because Andrelton Simmons is on my team. It's apparently a team full of us, except I'm apparently the only one that can get on base this way. I haven't even looked at my BABIP but it's probably ridiculous.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Okay so I know what the C icons on player cards are, but what are the stars and colored icons next to those for?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I've switched basically every possible control to the least dexterous version of it, because baseball is hard enough without having to fight with the interface on top of it. I can barely switch between standard and RttS baserunning, let alone all the hosed up weird throwing schemes. One button, one base, thanks.

On something less bitchy, holy poo poo Conquest mode. Risk except the die rolling is replaced by arcade 3-inning games? Well okay I guess I don't need to sleep.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm playing dynamic batting difficulty and worked my way up to Legend. Halfway between that and Legend+ and difficulty jumps back Beginner 5. You'd think that would be easier, but holy poo poo I am in front of everything now and basically every ball goes directly to a fielder.

This is the second time this happened. It's like Dynamic hits some overflow value and wraps around or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

alpha_destroy posted:

That has happened to me as well. I find the difficulty jumps in general to be weird sometimes. On my second time through the dynamic ladder I found myself struggling more with veteran than all-star because on veteran the CPU throws more strikes and therefore I can't get myself into as many hitter's counts.

This game has a vendetta against Ventura btw. I played that game again, he left in the fifth with an injury. The start before he broke his hand he left early with an injury. So for four straight games the computer has killed Ventura... I just added 20 pts to his durability cause this poo poo is silly.

The last version I played (12? I think?) I had a period where I could just NOT WIN one specific game and I'd rage start over and over and some dumb bullshit would *always* happen. My normally stellar infield suddenly filled with incompetents, my starter melting down and giving up back-to-back-to-back dingers in the third inning to the bottom of the order, the ball hitting the bag, the pitcher, the pitcher then the bag, dropped catches, you name it. One specific game, almost always in the fifth or sixth inning, and only that one game. Every game before or after was just butter. Sometimes the AI just did NOT want you to win a game.

• Locked thread