Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Hey, what's your favorite anime?
Cowboy Bebop
Ghost in the Shell
James Cameron's Avatar: The Last Airbender
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Generation Kill
Dragonball
Mobile Fighter G-Gundam
The Godfather
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
View Results

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
She gets better with Lazlow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

So is Revelations as bad as some people say

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it is probably the worst fire emblem game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gaiden is also insanely janky but at least gaiden is janky in a funny and charming way

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the writing is awful and most of the maps are gimmicks (some work; most don't. a lot of them are retreads of maps in the other routes with a slight twist), and silas is literally the only unit in the whole game they rebalanced for a different recruitment time from the other routes. it's not good but it's alright if you want more fire emblem. not something you need to play tho

Endorph posted:

shadow dragon

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Depends on how much you like grinding. Otherwise you'll have units who are actually useless, many of them Nohrian. Some of the early maps are by far the worst in the series, legitimately awful by any metric, though some later maps are cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shadow dragon looks terrible and boring and has some pretty assy maps itself but at least the writing is occasionally funny and it has some decent maps, and the unit balance is kind of interesting

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I legitimately can't think of a single unit or map that I have even a remote attachment to in shadow dragon. plus the art style sucks the life out of everything. yea it has a few decent lines but that's all it has going for it and I never, ever want to play that game again. I could see myself playing revelation again tho, on the other hand, since it at least has some stuff that isn't objectively the worst

also you have to kill your units to get more units and that's even worse than giving you a bunch of garbage ones since shadow dragon does that anyway

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The Wooden Cavalry is like the only map that was anywhere near as painful to play through as the loving snow map where the gimmick is at complete odds with your absurdly low six deployment slots. Or the wind tribe map where at base level Hana, Subaki, Rinkah, and Kaze are just the loving worst.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wolf and sedgar are fun to use in fe11

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We have one crazy person that calls Shadow Dragon the best FE game.

I have not met the crazy person that calls Revelation the best.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, idk that everyone would even count revelation as a separate game from the rest of fates

it's a bad expansion more than anything

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

FE1 is worse

Shadow Dragon is also probably worse

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FE1 is a janky, unplayable mess of a game. The fact that anybody could come away from it in 1990 with a favorable impression shows how truly low gaming standards were back then

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Manatee Cannon posted:

to be fair, idk that everyone would even count revelation as a separate game from the rest of fates

it's a bad expansion more than anything

Everything I saw about Revelations stinks of bad romhack. I stopped playing at chapter 16 and haven't really looked back.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im willing to give fe1 a pass because it was made in 1990 and was literally inventing a genre, unlike revelations, which was made in tyool 2015 and had like 800 other srpg to look at

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

inthesto posted:

Everything I saw about Revelations stinks of bad romhack. I stopped playing at chapter 16 and haven't really looked back.

Chapter 17 is a continuation of chapter 16 with no save and you have to protect a bunch of irredeemable jerkoffs (Laslow, Peri, Odin, Niles) :shepicide:

Endorph posted:

wolf and sedgar are fun to use in fe11

Those are my favorite units, gameplay wise, in the entire series.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I only beat the last few chapters of SD on lunatic by warping an arena trained wolf with a forged dragon slayer to bosses and save scumming crits

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Cake Attack posted:

I only beat the last few chapters of SD on lunatic by warping an arena trained wolf with a forged dragon slayer to bosses and save scumming crits

This is why SD is good TBH

I actually like the portrait art in SD, it's just the ugly blobby '3D' sprites and poor animation that's bad

Combined with the vast majority of characters being paper-thin or legitimately nonexistent and it looks very bad compared to the Tellius games or 7/8

It's only somewhat worse than 6, imo

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
SD without the gaiden chapters would be a thoroughly unremarkable entry in the series, instead of being almost universally reviled

I will be very cross with anyone who responds that you can just ignore them if you don't like them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The switch Fire Emblem game's battle animations might just make me yell at the screen because I don't know how they can improve more after Echoes other than better player models.

The running sword dash when starting an attack is so absurdly addicting to watch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Every battle should play out as a mini dark souls fight

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The flash cart I ordered is taking forever to show up, but I should still have time to finish New Mystery of the Emblem by the time Shadows of Valentia comes out in a real language. I'm worried, however, that I'll make the mistake of starting up Shadow Dragon again while I wait.

Edit: what thread am I in

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Do they have bow attacks as cool as fates though?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

Every battle should play out as a mini dark souls fight

So a bunch of dudes awkwardly rolling past each other and swinging at thin air?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

Do they have bow attacks as cool as fates though?

The camera goes behind the archer so you get to watch the arrow fly towards its target

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Yeah but do they jump around and do unnecessary flips?

I just love the merchant/apo animations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They flip sometimes when in melee range

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

SD without the gaiden chapters would be a thoroughly unremarkable entry in the series, instead of being almost universally reviled

I will be very cross with anyone who responds that you can just ignore them if you don't like them

just because you point out the giant hole in your argument doesn't make it go away

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
I love SD and it was my first fire emblem game that I finished. I did however get stuck on the Maria map because I was dumb enough to spread my exp around instead of just feeding it to the cavaliers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cake Attack posted:

just because you point out the giant hole in your argument doesn't make it go away

There is a huge amount of content, and major characters, locked behind some of the strictest gaiden requirements. Which suuuuucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a huge amount of content = five maps with barely any plot and also nagi, who raises more questions than she answers

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cake Attack posted:

I bet you don't use Bartre every time in Hector mode so you can recruit and then not use Karla

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Hell Yeah??

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have never seen one of the gaiden maps in Shadow Dragon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zore posted:

There is a huge amount of content, and major characters, locked behind some of the strictest gaiden requirements. Which suuuuucks.

If you're using this logic then Awakening is an irredeemable piece of poo poo for locking all of its non-Seize/Rout maps behind playing a certain way, and Conquest/Birthright are even worse games than that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

If you're using this logic then Awakening is an irredeemable piece of poo poo for locking all of its non-Seize/Rout maps behind playing a certain way, and Conquest/Birthright are even worse games than that.

None of those games require yoy to kill off a majority of the cast to access that stuff though?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

this makes negative sense, so grats

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

Um, how is this following the same logic? Pretty sure that Awakening and Fates don't require you to send your army to the slaughterhouse en masse just to play gaidens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There is nothing wrong with sacrificing your worthless fodder for the greater good :colbert:

But like, there are only like five chapters you miss out on if you don't want to, and they're meant as a breather for training up your guys. It's lame that you miss content like that if you're super against losing units, but it's not the end of the world.

Tae posted:

We have one crazy person that calls Shadow Dragon the best FE game.

I have not met the crazy person that calls Revelation the best.

I'm going to assume you're talking about me since I'm the resident Shadow Dragon lover. I don't think it's the best FE game, it's just the one I enjoy the most. I mean, the game that came directly after it was the same thing but better afterall.

Never played Revelation though. I find janky games interesting but Conquest in general satisfied me enough to not feel the need to go back to Fates anytime soon.

• Locked thread