Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i would like to see a dungeons and dragons type game sourced from general african mythology that would be cool as hell, maybe this already exists?

Spears of the Dawn is arguably the closest; it's a fantasy setting/OSR game but tries to be rooted in cultures from Western Africa. But it doesn't work 100% because it loops back into the decidedly Euro-centric underpinnings of DnD and then focuses on African flair, fitting witch doctors and an oral tradition on top of the usual classes (wizard and bard, respectively). It's actually a decent debate as to how deep the African elements reach (is it just a veneer, or did Crawford succeed at baking African into the game's roots?), made harder by the fact that as an OSR product it's made to be light in concrete details to let things evolve at the table and it's in those details that things could have really come alive.

Personally, I think that it almost hits the mark it was intended to, and that even having the attempt made is something worth a nod of approval towards. Putting aside whether it made a DnD game that ignores the European roots to evoke Africa, it's a good game with a lot of solid mechanical ideas and some really fun flavor ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread