Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Phuzzy posted:

Emma Watson is an overrated bitch

Your off the team

(Sorry ra i gotta get practice if i'm ever to be your true understudy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I Greyhound posted:

TRIVIA!!!

If you get too stressed out from the Googles, or if that's just not your thing at all, you are welcome to hang out with music crew and chill out, talk about tasty jams, and help the tryhards working on solving the questions know how much time they have until the phones go down in the back.

Music Crew 4 Lyfe

Music Crew Best Crew.

If you join us prepare to DL five different song identification apps.

If you're fast at typing and dedicated then we always appreciate people working the music spreadsheet. It's used to produce the yearly trivia Spotify playlist and just in case Oz ever asks us about what music was playing. Which may or may not ever happen.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is there a wikihow guide for how to connect to IRC? Here's a helpful post from Athanatos:

Athanatos posted:

Little IRC help if anyone needs it. We use +v (Voice) to designate that you are a goon.

This link should take you where you need to go: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#tp@irc.synirc.net

That link should take you to this.

Enter what ever name you want (Preferably your SA name), hit go and wait. It will take you to the chatroom. You should see people talking, and the Topic with information in it.

Down at the bottom where you can type stuff type this in:

You can double click your name in chat to open a private window incase you misstype

Use any password you want, and an email you can check. (DO NOT USE YOUR SA PASSWORD)
/ns register <PASSWORD> <EMAIL>

This should pop up so head over to your email:

You'll get an email like this:

Copy that command, and paste it into the chat.

If you did it right you will get this:

Once you are registered you should make sure nobody tries to impersonate you (we've been having problems with this)
Type /ns set KILL ON
You should get this message.

This will tell IRC to change your nickname if you are not identified with the server.

Once you get that far send me (or another one of the OPs) a message:

Now up at the top of the screen you can see your private messages to people:

If I am around I'll tell you to rejoin the channel. At the top part of the screen you can click the x near the #tp tab then type /rejoin #tp. OR you can totally close the mibbit tab and restart it. At this point you are registered and good to go.

If you have done all this and ever find yourself without +v in the channel type:

That will log you into IRC and autovoice you. As always if you have any questions ask in the channel, everyone is helpful. You can message me anytime and if I am around I'll do my best to help.

We still have pictures to identify before the actual trivia starts, so hop in and see if you recognize something.

If you know what you are doing the server is irc.synirc.net and the channel is #tp.

I super recommend using a client other than Mibbit (such as mIRC or xIRC or whatever's cool), but using Mibbit for now will at least get you in the chat and get your nick registered.

TEAM T-SHIRTS are up for preorder. We have no definitive name yet so I can't post the 100% final logo, but if you wanna check out what we're going with in theory, or if you want to order a shirt, all the details are available in the order form.

:siren: T-SHIRT ORDER FORM :siren:

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Year 6 for me. Let's get it on.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Woo, I can do the thing! It will be a refreshing change from crushing "Geek Trivia" week in and week out at the local nerd-hut.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Almost forgot some hardware shots of the trophies

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
More example questions:

1. In one TV advertisement, an advisor, Arthur, tells us: "You can go to a doctor and tell them 'I've got this pain.' What's the difference? You can call a psychic and say 'I have this pain in my emotional life.'" What is the extension given to call Arthur?

2. Time for some basketball! This one time NBA MVP made an unexpected appearance with the fictional Tornadoes high school basketball team back in 1997. What brand of shirt is this professional athlete wearing while playing with the Tornadoes?

3. What American animated comedy, which aired on Jetix after its original run on Fox, debuted in 1995 and featured characters which included a veteran of a world war and a pet goldfish?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Woo, time to get my portesi on!

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Athanatos posted:

3. What American animated comedy, which aired on Jetix after its original run on Fox, debuted in 1995 and featured characters which included a veteran of a world war and a pet goldfish?

Life With Louie

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Someone with a posting history in AI should see if we can get some car goons interested in trivia this year. :ohdear:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

my cat is norris posted:

Someone with a posting history in AI should see if we can get some car goons interested in trivia this year. :ohdear:

I've seen JRS post there, but I don't think he's to active these days.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
Trivia is awesome. Play trivia. Feels really good when the entire channel's stumped and you clutch a 300 point answer by endlessly scrolling down a GIS for "coneheads comic book bedroom".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

That'd be me, I guess. I'll try to shill for it in the ai chat thread tomorrow.

Also, good job nobody mentioning the gbs thread was up on the mailing list, sheesh! I only noticed it by accident.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I recommend Trivia to all. The dizzying highs and lows of point values and score updates are just some of the IRC yelling you can expect from punch drunk people slowly unraveling.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Phuzzy posted:

Emma Watson is an overrated bitch

Guys, Captain America is right...

Also, our motto this year should be "I Lust Fur Trivia!" It's an anagram of Trivial Fursuit

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Network delenda est.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lightning Jim posted:

Guys, Captain America is right...

Also, our motto this year should be "I Lust Fur Trivia!" It's an anagram of Trivial Fursuit

:getout:

First thing I added to my 2016 planner was blocking off this entire weekend. Going to make me some dunkaroos and go wild.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Been waiting for this since the last one ended. It's gonna be amazing.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Athanatos posted:

inclined to say Life With Louie but i'm 100% sure that show debuted in late late 1994. i get the feeling this trivia contest is going to be a real fickle bitch with details so i don't think that's the right answer

quote:

2. Time for some basketball! This one time NBA MVP made an unexpected appearance with the fictional Tornadoes high school basketball team back in 1997. What brand of shirt is this professional athlete wearing while playing with the Tornadoes?

Kobe Bryant on a 1997 episode of Hang Time wore an Adidas tracksuit.

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 17, 2016

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Turdsdown Tom posted:

inclined to say Life With Louie but i'm 100% sure that show debuted in late late 1994. i get the feeling this trivia contest is going to be a real fickle bitch with details so i don't think that's the right answer

Actual answer: It is life with Louie. According to IMDB the first episode was in June 1995, the 1994 thing is just a christmas special/pilot so I guess it didn't count

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

EngineerSean posted:

We have doctors, CEOs, and at least a hundred goons who do nothing but smoke weed, eat Chipotle, and work on databases that are magical. Join our team.

Don't you dare insinuate that I eat chipotle

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I got a crew of 6 or 7 folks who'll be holed up in my apartment all day on that Saturday contributing to the effort

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Woo trivia! My wife has offered to take kids for the weekend so I can actually participate for more than five minutes at a time this year.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

feld posted:

Don't you dare insinuate that I eat chipotle

But I like Chipotle. :smith:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Man with Hat posted:

Actual answer: It is life with Louie. According to IMDB the first episode was in June 1995, the 1994 thing is just a christmas special/pilot so I guess it didn't count

well i guess that's what i guess for being a big nerd and poo poo with dates. on the flip side, i now think of myself as a useful asset to the trivia team

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

H2SO4 posted:

CAN YOU LADIES AND GENTLEMEN SPARE A MOMENT TO HEAR ABOUT LOG CABINS

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

oh gently caress man I need one

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Which reminds me, I need to request that Monday off of work. And everyone else should, too, because you'll probably oversleep on Monday like I did the first year.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Turdsdown Tom posted:

well i guess that's what i guess for being a big nerd and poo poo with dates. on the flip side, i now think of myself as a useful asset to the trivia team

Being a big nerd and poo poo with dates helps a lot. This was just, I assume, a difference in how people interpret the phrase "first aired". If we had a couple of sources for 1994 we could dispute an answer like this, and maybe get it thrown out so being a big nerd and poo poo with dates would be great here.

So yes, you would be a useful asset to our team :)

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Also anyone who has old magazines or knows people with old magazines or better yet people who read old magazines and remember the old advertisements, we need you especially bad

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you can look at a shittily-photocopied, grainy, black and white clipping of a piece of crappy art and somehow remember which advertisement in a 1958 magazine it's from, or at the very least, the name of the obscure artist who drew it, that'd be fantastic.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Everybody do a trivia! It's your dads trivia contest!

Super pumped for this, if you have never done this contest before please stop in IRC and check it out!

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Leperflesh posted:

If you can look at a shittily-photocopied, grainy, black and white clipping of a piece of crappy art and somehow remember which advertisement in a 1958 magazine it's from, or at the very least, the name of the obscure artist who drew it, that'd be fantastic.
Remember? Huh? Don't you know we don't have any natural intelligence around here?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

if our goon-run funsies contest takes off, this would make a good traveling trophy. each year the winning team gets to etch their name into the fursuit cabin for all posterity

The System
Aug 7, 2006
Special shout out to Air Julio, the keeper of the voices, the helpful chat guide, the trivia facilitator to the stars.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lutha Mahtin posted:

if our goon-run funsies contest takes off, this would make a good traveling trophy. each year the winning team gets to etch their name into the fursuit cabin for all posterity
Well, it would last longer than a potato or bottle of cider at least.

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000
This is always a ton of fun and the people that spend all year getting the goon team ready have stared into the abyss for too long but i'm not complaining.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Leperflesh posted:

I am very bad at this part but I enjoy it greatly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bishop posted:

This is always a ton of fun and the people that spend all year getting the goon team ready have stared into the abyss for too long but i'm not complaining.

Until we have a basement full of decades of old magazines, I'm gonna say we're keeping the spirit since 99% if the team just rolls up the day before and helps out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CrashCat posted:

Also anyone who has old magazines or knows people with old magazines or better yet people who read old magazines and remember the old advertisements, we need you especially bad

This is how it starts ...

Nah, I'm just joshing. Go right ahead.

also,

The Glumslinger posted:

Until we have a basement full of decades of old magazines, I'm gonna say we're keeping the spirit since 99% if the team just rolls up the day before and helps out

• Locked thread