Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tygor posted:

Which was the best name we've had :)

It's true - especially the top-10 announcement at the end. "What does that mean...?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Yeah I had been looking on BGG for that picture all week but just didn't use the right search terms. So mad.

Same, though to be fair the clue did give some additional info. "What is the elevation of Let Me Pass?" Without that, the only thing we had to go on was "well it kind of looks like Parker Bros art from the 80s". Once we knew it had a mountain theme that narrowed it down a lot.

But yeah, it's something we would have found if we had enough eyes on it before the contest. The pictures are one department where we could do much better every year, especially given our numbers. It's just hard to get people motivated to show up early and get verified/registered to see them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

I knew it was a mountain pass without the question, but never included "mountain" in my search terms because, well, stupid newbie. :/

Oh right, I guess it did include "LETTME PASS" in the picture. Welp! :v:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

MisterZimbu posted:

I spent way too long last year trying to find the exact magazine ad containing a picture of a mascot we had already identified, even going as far as to contact the designer who made a similar ad, because I thought the question would be about more than just identifying the brand.

The question was just "identify the brand" and the magazine ad more than likely does not actually exist.

Trivia is great.

Never forget the Wheaties King.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Roki B posted:

No poo poo?

First few hours of year 1. The first time the team name was read on air, actually.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

That seems impossible for most as no one knows what the questions are yet.

Typically the question is "who is this person?" or something similarly easy if you've already identified the picture.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Assless Chaps posted:

First-time trivia participant here, thinking of dropping into IRC later to chat, and possibly if I'm bored at work tomorrow. I'm assuming it's OK if I pop in and out as time permits?

Of course, and the questions are typically transcribed quickly in chat so you don't even need to listen to the audio stream to participate. It's a good idea to get verified on IRC today though because people are pretty busy during the contest.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cheese fries time!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

little_firebird posted:

This is the way I've always been taught:

Step One - Cook

Step Two - Cut for Continuous Ease of Dipping

Step Three - Enjoy
(not pictured)

and now the irc is all about anal

thank you mushmouth :v:

ok excellent cutting technique but are you sure you cooked that?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

OK, so next year we're gonna go with Trivial Hirsute, right?

I like the one suggested earlier - Trivial Fursuit: Ciderboyz II Men.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Our Trivia focus is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SybSCjSixg

don't forget to watch in 1080p60.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 17, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

DJ just pronounced Abba as "A-B-B-A". That's worse than Candle-A-Brah or Rack-eaux or any other past offense from a mushmouth DJ.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Totally TWISTED posted:

annals as anals

it's been a good year for mush mouths at least or "much mouths"

My only trivia regret this year is not recording the Anals clip. In fact it's going to be hard to put together a highlight reel at all since SPTV has been down half the time.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

Child's show, child's show, child's show child's show. Wait child's movie?! (in no order I've been listening on and off a bit the last hour)

The real enduring mystery of trivia is why does every single children's show have its own very-detailed wikia? I mean I know practically every show does, but who writes these? Are there enough autistic adults watching Liv & Maddie to write a whole wiki? Is it the show hiring people to write it? It's all too well written to be done by 8-year-olds or whatever their target demo is.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Alright, here is our trophy presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUCrCmUdWNY

And for those who missed it, SPTV put up our video Focus in HD here. Also TF is best friends with them now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SybSCjSixg

Highlights reel will be forthcoming, if I can scrape together enough footage from the busted-rear end stream. Look for it in a few days.

edit: And finally, the full ceremony video is private so just hop on IRC and ask for a link.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 19, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dead Precedents posted:

:negative:

What was the question that this was the answer to?

It was a question about a certain scene involving a cupcake and a shot-out windshield. We were having real trouble finding the scene for some reason. I think the version on youtube was missing it.

And then it turned into a debacle where we had the right educated guess but *someone* told us to stop calling and provided an incorrect answer.

Ultimately it was 20 points so it didn't affect our standing. Still, it was kind of funny to see our well-oiled machine break down on such a simple question so late in the contest.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I don't really see how IRC is limiting us or how any of the unique features of Slack would benefit us. We really didn't miss any questions this year because chat was too chaotic. Our organization and communication between people has improved every year and is a well-oiled machine at this point.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Saturday Morning Freak Show is on!
http://tunein.com/radio/90-FM-899-s23865/

This is Oz's weekly show and it's pretty interesting the week after trivia. He plays music from the contest and talks about his reasoning behind questions and how the songs tied in to them. It's on for four hours I think so get in IRC and hang out!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

falz posted:

Is there a video of the trophy acceptance like there was last year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUCrCmUdWNY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Trivia 47 highlight video is complete!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICk1W3coqV8

• Locked thread