Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Infidel Castro posted:

Yeah. They basically said that the difference between us and them is that they have a ton of notes and whatnot.

What sorts of things would they keep notes on? Seems like the questions are so varied that it wouldn't help much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
So basically these guys are being mechanical turks for Google to index the deep web.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I look forward to being considered a spy when I inevitably join at some point to help out.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
This photo thing means there are some photos released ahead of time that we can research prior to the actual contest start?

If so I guess I'll try and join up on IRC sooner than later to help out.

I guess there's a rule about posting things questions and pictures publicly in the official rules? I see everyone was really against, but as this will be my first year participating I'm not real sure about all of that. Not that I would have anyways, but just curious.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Oh certainly don't want to post anything we found. I didn't realize the quiz runners cared that much about the questions being reposted elsewhere though.

What would stop someone from another team just coming here and posting everything in this thread to try and get us banned? Or vice versa? It's like mailing drugs to someone else. They may get a search at worst, but they aren't going to get arrested because you can't prove who did it.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
A private forums thread would be great to discuss things for next year. I tossed out a few ideas on IRC, but wouldn't want to post them publicly.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I definitely enjoyed joining right before it started as notaspy and requesting the wikipw from the bot.

It sucks for those labeled as a spy - I think people got more paranoid as it went on - but no concerns next year it seems. It was my first year as well and I'll definitely be joining again. I didn't add much, but I was able to locate the exact version of a really old song our music crew wouldn't identify so hopefully that data is useful in the future!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Best part is it sounded like they do a read-through of it all ahead of time too so it's not even like it's the first time the person has even read the question.

• Locked thread