Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my cat is norris posted:

Someone with a posting history in AI should see if we can get some car goons interested in trivia this year. :ohdear:

That'd be me, I guess. I'll try to shill for it in the ai chat thread tomorrow.

Also, good job nobody mentioning the gbs thread was up on the mailing list, sheesh! I only noticed it by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you can look at a shittily-photocopied, grainy, black and white clipping of a piece of crappy art and somehow remember which advertisement in a 1958 magazine it's from, or at the very least, the name of the obscure artist who drew it, that'd be fantastic.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh guys, this "log" cabin does not appear to be made of logs. Like, it's just a cabin. OK it's made of square cut pieces of wood but come on, logs are round.

Also

Leperflesh posted:

That'd be me, I guess. I'll try to shill for it in the ai chat thread tomorrow.

I forgot to do this sorry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Blackajack posted:

Trivial Fursuit: Furry Sanders for President

Trivial Fursuit: Bernie Sanders, Fur President

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The wikipedia article for the rawhide theme song was last edited in May 2015, so we can assume it has not been vandalized yet.

Someone get ahold of personal contact information for Carrie Fisher, we might need to ask her about her machine gun.

The mall chase scene was filmed in recently-abandoned (and not very old) dixie square mall in Harvey, Ill. It was trashed and they never fixed it up after the movie. It was torn down in 2012.

I assume someone is even as I post, documenting every single brand name of musical instrument in the store, and seen on stage throughout the film?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

foxatee posted:

Was this actually a thing? Because of course that guy is real. I only know him from Once Upon a Time and 28 Weeks Later, though.

The actual question read out loud on the radio asked for the name of the character depicted in a six minute commercial. Not the actor, the character. The video never actually specifies the character's name, but it's strongly implied, so that was our answer. Turns out they wanted the actor's name. The q got thrown out but goddamn after 47 years you'd think they'd be better at this.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

WE'RE IN FIFTH

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Congrats everyone. I've been doing Trivia on and off since year 2, but the last couple years I've had other obligations and hadn't been able to spend much time. This year my weekend was totally free and I did nothing but sleep and Trivia from Friday night through Sunday midnight.

I did a lot of searching and posted a lot of links where someone had just posted it 10 seconds earlier or perhaps 2 seconds after me. But that's OK, it's part of the scramble. I led us down the wrong path a couple times but that's OK too, because sometimes there are more than one likely answer and it's good to have alternatives thrown into the mix just in case it's one of those misleading questions like stubblyhead just mentioned.

Even if I didn't personally lead us to a big correct answer even once, it was still tons of fun: just the tension, the mad scramble, getting the answer in and then shooting the poo poo for the next seven minutes is enjoyable and cool. We have a few really intense participants but even with them, it's because they're enthusiastic and committed and that's an infectious atmosphere that takes hold of people and keeps them motivated.

I think for next year it's time we got off the public IRC channel. Using synirc does make it easier for people to join, but the degree to which we are being paranoid about spais (perhaps justifiably) is becoming a little oppressive. If we could vet people before they can even join our chat, then there wouldn't be a need for things like keeping the photo answers hidden in the secret elite members only club, which is decidedly Not Fun. With our own private chat area we can probably also implement some more tools and controls to make life easier, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are obviously several paths for Spais but honestly we're letting any goon play and that means someone planning in advance can pay the :tenbux: to register and there's gently caress all we can do about that.

The issue with the public IRC room is that people can wander in right when we're hashing out a tough question. Athanatos or whoever can kick them, but our normal procedure is to try to verify them as goons first, because we don't want to be kicking people who are legit. So there's a window of opportunity and it also places a burden on the admins to vet people the instant they come into the room, especially if we're right in the middle working a difficult question.

So a private chat room would require people to be vetted before they join - to the extent that we verify anyone, anyway - and that means admins don't have to instantly boot someone when really they'd probably rather be working on the question at hand.

I'm generally against the secret club question secrets thing. I realize it might mean a 500 point question gets found out by some other unscrupulous team and that turns it into a 300 point question and we don't gain on that team when we answer it. But honestly, and I don't know if this is how other people feel, but: keeping this thing a fun and engaging goon project is way more important to me than exactly where we place in the top ten. If other teams are dedicated to stealing and cheating in order to win, then they're going to win that way, and we shouldn't let that put a damper on our fun.

Of course I can live without knowing what that statue of liberty picture was before we answered the question, it's not that big of a deal. But when it comes to people being yelled at or even being kicked from the channel for having fun in the chat because it's confusing the callers because they need to call the secret answer and so we all need to shut up just in case of spais and our precious points? In my opinion that's a bad path to go down.

Let's put together the structure and use the tools necessary to avoid the necessity for that kind of thing if we possibly can.

Just to reiterate, my fun was not ruined or anything, nothing close to that, and everyone is cool and good, including the admins who were just doing their honest best.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

What I am envisioning is a public chat room anyone can join. A handful of admins monitor the room. If you want to join Trivia you go there and ask to join. An admin gets to you when its convenient (e.g., not in the middle of a frenzied attempt to answer a tough question) and if you check out, you get the password to the password-protected main Trivia chat channel.

It's one added step, it's a little less convenient for people to join, but it means there's no chance of a random unapproved person popping into the pw-protected channel at an inopportune moment... and that means there's no need to constantly be on the lookout so you can super-fast kick someone who wanders in at an inopportune moment.

We essentially already do this with the spreadsheets. You can get spreadsheet access if someone looks you over and accepts that you're a genuine goon. You get the pw and you're good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

joke_explainer posted:

I was getting really confused there and really appreciated the adminstrators stepping in to calm things down a bit. I was transcribing and verifying best I could but between the joke answers and the lag (I don't read chat while transcribing) it was just getting really confusing and hard to separate what was going on. Everyone was still having fun, it's just very easy to get derailed or slip into some blunder running into the last few hours, and after days and days of doing it there are frustrations all around. Sorry if it was stressful to anyone who got kicked or yelled at.

Okay, this is actually surprising to me, because I've been assuming that at some point when a decision is made to call in an answer, all of the people on phone duty are explicitly given an answer to call in. If you guys have to extract the right answer from the stream... and are also doing other things at the same time? Then A) you're loving amazing because I don't think I could do that and B) hey maybe we should think about a more formal method of getting the consensus answer unambiguously in front of the eyeballs of all of the callers at the same time.

Athanatos posted:

This was 2 different things and not the issue.

Yeah true, I'm conflating two things, but for me they're closely related: e.g., let's develop whatever tools we need to develop to make that sort of action a lot less necessary.

I'm not a programmer but I have a lot of spreadsheet experience and I'm also good at documentation. I volunteer to help in any capacity that I can be useful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

But actual questions that are no long relevant? I don't understand why people humor his autism.

He's afraid of the internet and we don't want him to decide to ban us, an internet team, for being too internety.

.e think of it like this, you know how your grandma is still paying for dial-up AOL even though you set her up with cable internet ten years ago, solely because she refuses to understand that the AOL email client isn't literally "the internet"? At some point it's not worth arguing about it because hell, she's probably got less than ten years to live anyway.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 19, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I hang around on a goon's private Slack and it's a pretty great tool. It has way more features than IRC - for example, if you place a link to a video inline, slack loads an embedded video player. Paste a link and slack loads a quick preview/title for it. Paste a link to an image and it loads a thumbnail of the image. You can easily spawn side-conversations, you can comment on a specific post someone just made, you can set up notifications, etc.

You can connect to slack using a browser tab, or you can install a client on mobile, plus there are dedicated desktop clients.

You can upload documents to a slack room and share them with others. Slack also supports bots and scripting macros etc.

I do not know how well it will perform when 100 of us are hammering it with links. If we consider slack I think we need to test it. One issue might be all the previews cluttering up the page so they fly by too fast, but I think that sort of thing is configurable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Look at what you people have done to me

Just look at this. We all know our Google profiles get irreperably polluted by 54 hours of googling ridiculous poo poo, but Amazon apparently thinks it's cool and good to recommend me poo poo based on Oz's trivia questions. :argh:

• Locked thread