Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
This comes up a few times in the thread each year, but join us if you don't think you'll be very useful. I guess I could also add join us even if you can only play for a couple of hours. We've had high-scoring questions answered by people who just hopped on for a couple of hours, and you never know what sort of useless information would get an answer right. There's always #tpmusic if you just want to hang out and listen to music all weekend (and answer the music snippet questions).

Man with Hat posted:

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, NETWORK

Did someone say Network?

quote:

03:08 Spretznaz We stayed to take a picture, they come out with their BIG trophy and go "You know, you guys should try some NATURAL intelligence"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Hey now, it's usually 1950s, not 1930s. Whichever decade had the German baby song and "Please Mr. Custer".

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Infidel Castro posted:

By the way, we got a 200 pt. question last year because I got bored at the grocery store at 12am one day and took pictures of cereal boxes. Every little effort can be a big difference maker, no matter how stupid it may sound.

No, I am not turning into Network, why do you ask?

Cereal aisle crew best crew?

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
PYF Trivia team names:
  • CHI CHI RODRIGUEZ ENERGY BANDS
  • STOP THE BUS AND HELP MY BROTHER JACK OFF
  • EIGHTEQUELS EQUALS EQUALSDEETILDETILDE

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Nephzinho posted:

Well, off season chat is mostly just gifs and tumblrs of gifs.

So pretty close to the real thing.

Don't forget sports chat and Quiplash.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Deviant posted:

hold on are you telling me the theme is actual cars and not Gary Numan's "Cars"?

When Oz announced the theme during the station's radiothon, he mentioned classic cars and cars in movies.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Tim Peters posted:

I live in Point and I loathe this time of year.

What do you loathe about this time of year? Do the local teams start having turf wars?

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

I Greyhound posted:

But only if you pronounce 'tilde' as 'teedellydee'.

I think John got the joke last year when they were reading the final standings because he paused and got a big smirk on his face.

Only 25 days to go until trivia!

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
One week from today, we will be cursing at grainy black-and-white pictures.

:neckbeard:

Oh and the trivia movie is this weekend.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

my cat is norris posted:

Hi Brylcreem!!

See, special requests DO get fulfilled. Sorry that I couldn't send "all the cats" to whoever asked for them, though.

I requested all the cats, but it was in the form of snapchat pictures.

CNN gave me some snazzy art on the package:

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Come up with a mysterious 54 hour flu.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Driving somewhere in town while the trivia stone questions are being ran must be a pain in the rear end. Same with ordering any kind of food that weekend.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
The only motivating thing about work is the knowledge that pictures will be ready by the time I get home.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Thanks to everyone who participated. Even if you weren't on very long or did much, you were at least there for moral support and that's the important part.

If you want to contribute more in the 53 weeks we aren't doing trivia, you can always take notes on lovely sitcoms so nadando aka our note-taking machine doesn't have to.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

Scientastic posted:

I've been on the team (with more or less participation) since I joined SA and it's always been worth it. Even when I've been kind of useless, there's always SOMETHING you can contribute, and it's always been fun

<+Scientastic> SEARING DOESN'T SEAL IN JUICES YOU oval office
<@MisterZimbu> MAILLIARD REACTION YOU STUPID gently caress

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!

BeOSPOS posted:

Also, I work in an academic library so maybe I can help round up obscure info some way?

I pestered a friend who works at a university library to get us a book on track and field over the past 50 years or something like that, so almanacs would be useful.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Do you want to help in the offseason but you can't stand the lovely sitcoms Oz watches? If you see pics of cereal boxes, limited edition products, whatever Vince Offer is shilling, etc., send me pics! Please pm me or check #tp or the mailing list for more info.

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
Some of us on the team ran a four hour contest last year, and that was harder than you'd expect. The most difficult thing was to make sure we had a decent spread of easy and difficult questions because we had participants ranging from Dad's Computers to a teams whose answers were funnier the drunker they got (can't remember the team name). We double-checked our questions, but even then we had one that was thrown out because of a conflicting answer and a couple that weren't worded correctly.

Yes, Oz has gotten some questions wrong, but he and Eck have to come up with ~430 questions every year that will keep as many teams entertained as possible. They do it by themselves over a span of two months. Their dedication is one of the main reasons I enjoy the contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McStabby
Jun 26, 2007

LANA!!! CRUUUUUSH!
:siren: If you're going through Trivia withdrawals, or if you missed out on the main contest, we've been invited to participate in a trivia contest this weekend! :siren:

Trivia XII: Triv And Let Die
Hosted by Festivus for the Rest of Us
Friday, September 9 @6pm CDT to Saturday, September 10 @9pm CDT

As with 90fm, Dad's computers and our own trivia contest, there are pictures that need identified. Hop over to #tp at irc.synirc.net for further details.

Here's info on how to join our channel if you've used IRC before. We're not worrying about voicing everyone this weekend, so it's no big deal if you haven't registered your nick or you forgot your password. You can still do it if you have time!

• Locked thread