Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Hell yes, Trivia Time's a-coming. Time to start planning how to refurnish my entire apartment and do shopping to not have to leave the house all weekend.

WE'RE COMING FOR YOU, NETWORK

Edit:
:siren:EXAMPLE QUESTIONS:siren:
Curtesy of Athanatos and our own mini trivia contest. These are not actually from the real Trivia since The Oz doesn't want them posted on the internet, but the style of the questions is very much like real trivia.

1. Thomas R. Maguire writes a heartfelt letter to a Colonel thanking him for the letter of sympathy regarding his son. He understands they have to be careful about security these days, but wishes they could have told him how his son died. What is the first name of his son?

2. In a breakfast advertisement, a product which claims twice the vitamin and mineral nutrition sees Bob Bartram bet his entire house and lose it. Amanda Pittman bet something she was wearing and lost that too. What did Amanda Pittman bet?

3. This new wave band had their most success on the Billboard Charts in late 1982 with a Top Ten single, before following up almost four months later with another single that peaked at #30, in 1983, which talked about falling in love. What is the name of the band in question?

4. In one TV advertisement, an advisor, Arthur, tells us: "You can go to a doctor and tell them 'I've got this pain.' What's the difference? You can call a psychic and say 'I have this pain in my emotional life.'" What is the extension given to call Arthur?

5. Time for some basketball! This one time NBA MVP made an unexpected appearance with the fictional Tornadoes high school basketball team back in 1997. What brand of shirt is this professional athlete wearing while playing with the Tornadoes?

6. What American animated comedy, which aired on Jetix after its original run on Fox, debuted in 1995 and featured characters which included a veteran of a world war and a pet goldfish?

Now put on two 4-ish minute songs and try to google your way to answers to these. Then multiply what you just did by 100 goons in an irc room 8 times/hour for 54 hours straight and you have an idea of what this is like.

It is intense as gently caress, quick and adrenalined, it comes with a huge sense of achievement and just hanging in chat and seeing the magic is, well, magical.

Here are the answers to the above questions if you wanna cheat or check if you got them right
1. Tommy
2. The Family Jewels
3. A Flock of Seagulls
4. 8237
5. Adidas
6. Life with Louie

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

tao of lmao posted:

Yeah hopefully we can get a few more goons up to SP to aid what few locals we have left :ohdear:

One of these years I will fly across the loving ocean to do this. That's how good of a time this is. I Will Traverse Oceans.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Pawn 17 posted:

Pff, I only use Bing :colbert:

This is legit useful. We have a lot of people using google in different ways with different terms and poo poo to find the answers fast but different search engines give different results sometimes so someone who for reals only uses Bing could find an answer on the same search terms that would not find the answer on google.

It's really, really rare. But it can happen.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

brylcreem posted:

I'm member of a party that has their annual convention that weekend.

I was like "gently caress no, lol".

My company wanted to buy me a trip to denmark trivia weekend. Yeah, not happening, I got googling to do.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

mdm posted:

I'm pretty trivial is that useful to you guys??

Yes.

Everyone is useful, in one way or another. Unless you're a spy

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Turdsdown Tom posted:

inclined to say Life With Louie but i'm 100% sure that show debuted in late late 1994. i get the feeling this trivia contest is going to be a real fickle bitch with details so i don't think that's the right answer

Actual answer: It is life with Louie. According to IMDB the first episode was in June 1995, the 1994 thing is just a christmas special/pilot so I guess it didn't count

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Turdsdown Tom posted:

well i guess that's what i guess for being a big nerd and poo poo with dates. on the flip side, i now think of myself as a useful asset to the trivia team

Being a big nerd and poo poo with dates helps a lot. This was just, I assume, a difference in how people interpret the phrase "first aired". If we had a couple of sources for 1994 we could dispute an answer like this, and maybe get it thrown out so being a big nerd and poo poo with dates would be great here.

So yes, you would be a useful asset to our team :)

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

H2SO4 posted:

Listen, we all have to make sacrifices. Trivia is serious business.

You don't risk a wife who gets mad at you for missing beer festivals. She sounds amazing.

Except when it's for trivia.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Trivial Fursuit: Meow Max Furry Road

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Roki B posted:

I'm scheduled to work night shift all three nights. I guess I'll try to get some in just before and just after.

Quit your job!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

rawillkill posted:

Trivial Fursuit: 6 Sick Stick Shifts

Exactly 36

Yeah. This one.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Aredna posted:

Oh certainly don't want to post anything we found. I didn't realize the quiz runners cared that much about the questions being reposted elsewhere though.

What would stop someone from another team just coming here and posting everything in this thread to try and get us banned? Or vice versa? It's like mailing drugs to someone else. They may get a search at worst, but they aren't going to get arrested because you can't prove who did it.

:ssh: Don't give them ideas

As far as I know, nothing. The honor system, I guess, since most people who take Trivia serious enough to try hard take it serious enough not to cheat since that ruins all the fun. The potential thread of it makes Simplefish' idea of trivia mods seem even more useful, though.

And welcome to your first year of trivia, you're gonna love it!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Sarcasma posted:

We have clients coming in on Friday so we're supposed to step up our casual dress game. So I'm thinking that means I should wear a sports coat or cardigan with my team shirt, right?

On a similar note, on friday I have to go to Sweden's financial supervisory authority for work friday afternoon. I hope they like frog t-shirts and fursuits!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Squish posted:

So what time & time zone is the start for IRC logins/overseas goons?

I'm in there most of the overseas daytime when other people are asleep and can get you set up so it's real easy to log in on friday and play when it actually starts. If you have 20 minutes to spare please show up and just get set up in advance to make things easier for us during the actual contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere in the last 13 pages but what time does this start tomorrow? I don't see it in the first post, and I don't see it on their website.

Right after Freebird ends.

• Locked thread