Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Who sits on a leather couch without a shirt?

my turn in the barrel fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I still remember the first thread of the first year when the main reason for playing was to compete against the Mysterious Network team that was rumored to have NYT Crossword editors or something on their team.

Then last year they were hallway dicks about barely beating us.

And this year they are sucking hind tit.

Congrats All!

I didn't get much of anything this year because everytime I would google someone would beat me with the correct answer before I could even start to type it. The only question I was fast enough to beat google with was from a TV show car. I only knew it because I have the same exact model and year car and in the show it was supposed to be a rusty beater and my car is in the same rusty beater shape so when someone hassles me I say it's the car from the TV show and I don't want to alter it.

Wife murder car

My beater

Of course it was an easy one that was right out of the Encyclopedia of TV shows.

After placing so high last few years we probably got some new accounts not just to Spai but also to figure out how a team from nowhere has risen so fast. Our place this year will increase that number and it'll either have to be addressed or ignored for the sake of having fun. I know I spent 4-5 hours looking at ad for slide projectors, Tvs, slot cars, dictation machines, shutter bulbs etc... to try to find number 4 with no luck and someone found it and I'm curious what it was.

Capping means that if long time players get busy with life for a year or burn out there is no new blood. Trying to limit by activity in the thread or IRC will cut out goons who have limited time or only chime in when they know an answer.

Whatever the team decides I'd wait until summer to implement it as you will be getting a bunch of curiosity for the next few weeks from other teams.

Also I'm a terrible goon and have never bought a Trivia Tshirt but if we make a run of gently caress Network or something like that to commemorate our win I'm going to have to :getin:

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

HiipFire posted:

some jazz fusion album

I spent so much time looking though magazine ads for remote controlled poo poo from the 50s and 60s and it was a jazz album. Thats like that weird R Crumb looking doodle that ended up being on an album last year.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I also though OZ claimed copyright on the questions he writes? I know it's a bit fuzzy because trivia questions are essentially statements of facts and it can get murky unless you put in trap questions like Columbo's first name or fake streets on maps. Which are themselves trivia questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trivia_Encyclopedia

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Thanks for that link, I actually didn't know that. That's interesting.

But I think that The Oz would have a good case arguing that the specific wording of (some? all?) of his questions can be considerd works of art in and of themselves.

But, IANAL

Maybe in a court of law but all he has to do is ban us from trivia which is entirely within his power.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone with downtime and trivia or google skills please jump in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

The Rabbi T. White posted:

How'd you guys do? I was unfortunately tied up for the weekend, but I still well care about how goons did in meaningless trivia comps....

We got 4th.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gm5k5bSoHrrjw6JJr0Un5bNMOsqQ61voHkaULT5Gnfs/pubhtml?gid=1350135945&single=true&range=A1%3AC13

There weren't many goons playing. Those that were had to carry way too much weight and were pretty exhausted.

We probably need a trivia mailing list or something. This thread doesn't get enough posts to stay on top for the smaller contests.

Also some of the tools that goons have built weren't working which added to the stress. Hopefully they get fixed for next time.

• Locked thread