Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
:siren: This post will likely be evolving, so stay tuned! :siren:

:wotwot: A trivia contest you say?!

Let's get prepared again for TRIVIA, goons! We're back in action April 15, 16, and 17!

For those with archives...
Trivia 42's thread
Trivia 43's thread
Trivia 44's thread
Trivia 45's thread
Trivia 46's thread, with additional late year contests discussed in the end.

What the crap do you want us to do?

We've broken top ten 3 straight years, which should be described as an inhuman feat for a team that doesn't stalk Oz or obsess over crap like special edition cereal boxes and candy wrappers.

Some teams play for generations and haven't cracked top 50.

Info from previous years posted:

Tell Me More! :allears:
For the last 42 43 44 45 46... 47!! years Steven's Point, WI college radio station 90FM has run the world's largest trivia contest. There are around 500 teams from around the world who compete. The entire town is taken over by trivia contestants.

These are the canonical rules, but here's a brief overview.

• Game runs for 54 hours straight (non stop trivia action!)
  • Approximately 8 questions every hour. They read a question, play a song, re-read it, play another song. You have until the end of the second song to get your answer in. You're competing to get a correct answer and to get the answer in on time. :flashfact:

Imagine a couple thousand trivia nerds hitting redial :f5: for 54 hours straight. Yeah.

Things you should know:
  • The questions are designed to be Google-proof, but that's not always possible. They want to make you at least work to get the answers.
  • Scoring: The fewer people that answer correctly, the more valuable the question is and so those people get awarded more points.
  • You can do anything to get the answer.
  • Someone needs to dethrone The Network and Dad's Computers

What TEAM GOONS needs from you! :eng101:

Here's a list of things we need:
  • On the ground Goons: We had a group of goons in previous years that ran the On the Ground stuff for us in Stevens Point, and we're looking for more this year. Your primary tasks will be Running Questions, The Trivia Stone Rally Drive, and getting alcohol poisoning. Also you get to eat the free food if we win that again.
  • IRC. We have a channel on synirc #tp
  • Mumble We stream the audio for everyone over Mumble.
  • Recording the stream for review is essential. There are music questions where they play a 20 second clip of like 8 different songs. You have to try to get them all right. You are given a long time to answer, but if you only hear it once and don't have a recording you're missing out on big points. Being able to edit the clip and analyze it is invaluable.
  • Data Entry Goons: Someone to transcribe the questions to text for people on IRC
  • Non-Americans are welcome: Goons from around the world. They've had questions that Americans won't get. Pop culture or things in other countries could be on the list. Hey, it's 54 hours long... I'm not staying awake that entire weekend.
  • Media whores. You have every season of Hogan's Heroes, M*A*S*H* and other random TV shows? Yeah, we might need you to help us figure out what color socks someone is wearing or some other bullshit question.
  • Music nerds: Example question given by a coworker (accuracy not guaranteed)

"In the Huey Lewis and the News vinyl's included artwork there is a neon sign on the wall. What does it say?"

• Brains: Small panel of decision makers. We need some people to be the go-to about whether or not we submit an answer. A voting panel, per se.
  • Phones: Ability to call. We're on the internet. Get out your SIPs, your Skypes, and your cell phones -- we'll need everything you got to get our answers submitted.

Note, only one person can call the answer in for the team. Multiple offenses result in disqualification.

Official website (Don't be shocked at how bad this is)

We have improved steadily with each year, with our best year being last year, where we placed in FOURTH out of over 300 teams, giving us our third straight top ten finish.

Join us, and...

Sooo... are you ready to play Trivia, Fast Eddie?

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

:siren:IRC INFO:siren:

Athanatos posted:

Little IRC help if anyone needs it. We use +v (Voice) to designate that you are a goon.

Edit: Dont let all this stuff under this message stop you from joining. If you dont do it you can still play trivia, the minimum you have to do is click that link. That's it. The other stuff is just extra for admin stuff.

This link should take you where you need to go: http://client00.chat.mibbit.com/#tp@irc.synirc.net

That link should take you to this.

Enter what ever name you want (Your SA name works fine), hit go and wait. It will take you to the chatroom. You should see people talking, and the Topic with information in it.

Down at the bottom where you can type stuff type this in:
:siren:You can double click your name in chat to open a private window incase you misstype:siren:

Use any password you want, and an email you can check. (DO NOT USE YOUR SA PASSWORD)
/ns register <PASSWORD> <EMAIL>

This should pop up so head over to your email:

You'll get an email like this:
[/img]http://i.imgur.com/dYh7IAh.png[/img]
Copy that command, and paste it into the chat

If you did it right you will get this:

Once you get that far send me (or another one of the OPs) a message:

Editor's Note: An OP is anyone in chat who has the same symbol (what symbol it is varies between clients) in front of their username as Lowtax. Lowtax is a bot though so don't send a pm to Lowtax

Now up at the top of the screen you can see your private messages to people:

If I am around I'll tell you to rejoin the channel. At the top part of the screen you can click the x near the #tp tab then type /rejoin #tp. OR you can totally close the mibbit tab and restart it. At this point you are registered and good to go.

If you have done all this and ever find yourself without +v in the channel type:

Editor's note: Most IRC clients do support /ns but not all of them (irssi doesn't, for example) and on those you can type "/msg nickserv" instead of "/ns" - it is the exact same command only most clients have made /ns a shortcut for "/msg nickserv". This note is irrelevant if you use mibbit since that one does support /ns, I just put this here if you dislike Mibbit and happen to try one of the not-supporting ones

That will log you into IRC and autovoice you. As always if you have any questions ask in the channel, everyone is helpful. You can message me anytime and if I am around I'll do my best to help.

We still have pictures to identify before the actual trivia starts, so hop in and see if you recognize something.

If you know what you are doing the server is irc.synirc.net and the channel is #tp

Note: If you're coming in for the first time, please say something when you join!

Nooner posted:

im pretty good at trivia. also i will just cheat i got a computer and can google ya dingus

You're supposed to google/use sources other than minds. The questions are of a level that you still can't answer every single question even with the wide world of the internet at your fingertips in the allotted amount of time.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 14, 2016

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Sighence posted:

Oh jeez it's already been ten months since the last one. Finding answers 5-30 seconds after it's been called in is more fun than it should be.

What's the on-the-ground situation currently? Very (very) lightly toying with the idea.

I believe we really need more, especially since phuzzy won't be ground crew this year.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Infidel Castro posted:

By the way, we got a 200 pt. question last year because I got bored at the grocery store at 12am one day and took pictures of cereal boxes. Every little effort can be a big difference maker, no matter how stupid it may sound.

No, I am not turning into Network, why do you ask?

Basically a question like this every god drat year: On the box of a certain product, you can play a game to "connect the snozzberries." What is the name of the character that is drawn when you connect the snozzberries?

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Deki posted:

gently caress network.

Grashnak posted:

This will be the year we finally beat Network, I can feel it.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

McStabby posted:

PYF Trivia team names:
  • CHI CHI RODRIGUEZ ENERGY BANDS
  • STOP THE BUS AND HELP MY BROTHER JACK OFF
  • EIGHTEQUELS EQUALS EQUALSDEETILDETILDE

Chye Chye Rod-reh-gwezz

Also gotta give props to the team that uses "The Poopsmith" in their name each year.

Worst team name: Dead Girls Don't Say "Know"

2nd worst team name: Thicko

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

McStabby posted:

Don't forget sports chat and Quiplash.

Most boring video game: Fallout 4 (Shots Fired)

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Kloaked00 posted:

I evidently have been away from the channel for too long, what is quip lash?

Here's a video of popular internet people playing Quiplash for reference

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Infidel Castro posted:

CALM DOWN RA WILL KILL

In 344th place with 25 points is
CALM DOWN RA WILL KILL

In other news, trivia goons are quiplashin soon.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

H2SO4 posted:

gently caress everything about the fake picture last year. Such a brilliant troll.

GOD drat IT DITKA

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

So down again. I hate to admit that trivia was thrilling last year - because that sounds lame as hell - but I had a lot of fun helping look for info and answering what I could! Everybody join up!

:getin:

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Tim Peters posted:

I live in Point and I loathe this time of year.

But for real join us, we can use more goons onsite.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Probably don't really need a sticky until mid to late March tbh.

Also required commands for newbies to the irc channel:

?gently caress
?network
?julio
?portesi
?bluewher (or maybe just ?blue ) (shameless bragging yo)
?raw and/or ?ra
?emma(insert number between like 1 and 125 here)

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

CherryCat posted:

Actually there are currently 150 emmas laid down on the shrine to rawillkill.

"Emma Watson Obsession" is the newest cologne by Sun God Beauty Inc

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

my cat is norris posted:

Page went up for Dad's Trivia's 2016 trivia contest: https://www.facebook.com/events/734687740000623/

It's not until November, but I don't think there's a better place to post about this.

related: ?bluewher in chat.

I would love to see a few more people for this contest. Maybe we can make it interesting for Festivus!

((Note: Festivus and Dad's Computers are basically the two top trivia teams right now. Someone from one of those teams actually told one of our ground crew goons that they expect us to be at their level soonish))

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Aredna posted:

What sorts of things would they keep notes on? Seems like the questions are so varied that it wouldn't help much.

Teams like Dad's and Festivus (and Network, gently caress them) have literally been in this contest for longer than some of us have been alive.

It's not really notes at that level. It's archives.

Wax Dynasty posted:

Trivial Fursuit: Purrfect in Every Way

The Glumslinger posted:

Trivial Fursuit: Mad Oz: Beyond Triviadome

Blackajack posted:

Trivial Fursuit: Furry Sanders for President

Any of these IMO.

Trivial Fursuit: We "Drive" Jaguars

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 4, 2016

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

AtomD posted:

Trivial Fursuit: Bad Draggin'

gently caress

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

[06:36:45] <BlueWher> 5 and a half weeks get hyep

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Nephzinho posted:

Put on your white tshirt Friday, take off your greyish tshirt Sunday.
My body is ready.

Its stench will make the living envy the dead

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

ONE MORE MONTH GUYS :getin:

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

H2SO4 posted:

CALM DOWN RA WILL KILL

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

emf posted:

There are not. There are only not-playing-trivia-at-the-moment-because-reasons* residents of Stevens Point on Trivia Weekend.

* Reasons include but are not limited to sleep deprivation and / or substance abuse.

Yeah maybe this Peters guy actually lives in like Plover or something. ;)

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

H2Eau posted:

'Grocery bag' is a really generous name for that

it's not a 'bag', it's a 'beg'

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"