Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

The Rabbi T. White posted:

If someone reminds me closer to the time next year, I'll spin up an AWS instance and configure us a private silc (encrypted IRC) server.
This has the added advantage of those who know what they're doing being able to use it as a shell with screen / tmux so you don't drop off from the channel when you shut your computer down and your session is available from anywhere.

If we want to get really fancy we could also set up a voip server of some description, allowing people outside the US to be able to join the phone team...

I'd say we could also host the wiki there and lock it down to connections from localhost only, but the thought of tech supporting a pile of people through dynamic ssh port forwarding is already giving me an eye tic.

We have AWS/Google Cloud engineers on staff and free credits for both by extension, and proxy call@sip.yiff.tech to the answer number transparently (same asterisk instance also handles our inbound number).

I do not ever want to have to walk rawillkill's dad through ssh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
re: slack - We've trialled both Slack and Hipchat (and Mattermost), and I've contributed patches to the ecosystem/API libraries and written bots for both before (and I was also in the Hipchat self hosted server beta/alpha). I have experience with all of them. They do not work well in browsers for this use case, and scrolling performance is murdered if any form of inline previews are enabled. The minimum cost will be ~$1100-$2400/month-ish too.

All message/image/inline previews have to be disabled. The desktop client starts pegging 100% cpu after scrolling upward for 15 seconds or so. Keep in mind we fairly often get bursts of 40 msg/sec+, often all links with previews. Scrolling literally drops to < 1 FPS.

Slack's free tier has 10k most recent messages; the rest drop off entirely (i.e., you can no longer even scroll upward for them, not just logging history). We use: 561304 2016-04-*.log lines.
Reactions to messages do not work because those lines scroll off by the time you click on them.

In short, think of this is twitch chat, not business discussions.

• Locked thread