Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

My body is ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

tao of lmao posted:

Good to see you saddling up for year two. What do you plan on doing differently knowing what you know now?

Scheduling naps better so I'm not flagging when herpity has to take a break on the transcription, having more food in the house, and taking more time off work for trivia recovery. Looking forward to it... I hope we show even stronger this year.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Make sure you put all your money in a log cabin before next Friday rolls around. That hosed us over last year, all the money laying around unsecured by the impenetrable walls of a log cabin giving people anxiety that kept them from finding answers before the time ran out.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

The excitement was palpable in the air! Great work everyone.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 18, 2016

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

We did not leave top 10 this year.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

wa27 posted:

It was a question about a certain scene involving a cupcake and a shot-out windshield. We were having real trouble finding the scene for some reason. I think the version on youtube was missing it.

And then it turned into a debacle where we had the right educated guess but *someone* told us to stop calling and provided an incorrect answer.

Ultimately it was 20 points so it didn't affect our standing. Still, it was kind of funny to see our well-oiled machine break down on such a simple question so late in the contest.

K9/11. Never forget.

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

CANNIBAL GIRLS posted:

It's hard to feel productive when the goon hive answers most questions within 30 seconds. Still, verifying answers or eliminating bad answers is important. Having lots of people is a good problem to have.

That's incredibly important. A huge portion of our points come from verifying answers. Finding is really important but verification is also incredibly important. People should not feel bad about just verifying details at all, that is a major contribution.

A great example was the Happy Family Q.

quote:

H52Q8

If you look into what happened here you can see vetting the answer working great, multiple details get quickly matched and the dissenting alternate (which amazingly matched character names and marital status exactly but no profession information found and nothing suggesting a topic of a 'household' show) got shot down pretty quickly.

Another great example was Althea Gibson.

quote:

H41Q7

If you look into what happened here, we very nearly called the wrong answer. It was a really compelling answer but the years did not add up. The person that called it in held off while it was verified and we came around to Gibson with time to spare. If everybody was googling and nobody clicked the links, we wouldn't have gotten that. Eliminating the other answer was a necessary step in getting the right answer. Researchers are amazing and we have AMAZING people all around but if you feel left out just because you only got to verify things, you shouldn't! It is really super super important.

Leperflesh posted:

Of course I can live without knowing what that statue of liberty picture was before we answered the question, it's not that big of a deal. But when it comes to people being yelled at or even being kicked from the channel for having fun in the chat because it's confusing the callers because they need to call the secret answer and so we all need to shut up just in case of spais and our precious points? In my opinion that's a bad path to go down.

I was getting really confused there and really appreciated the adminstrators stepping in to calm things down a bit. I was transcribing and verifying best I could but between the joke answers and the lag (I don't read chat while transcribing) it was just getting really confusing and hard to separate what was going on. Everyone was still having fun, it's just very easy to get derailed or slip into some blunder running into the last few hours, and after days and days of doing it there are frustrations all around. Sorry if it was stressful to anyone who got kicked or yelled at.

Overall I wildly approve the compartmentalization of #4 until the call and I think we should do stuff like that in the future when we are 100% sure on something and it's had minimal contact. If we are 100% sure we have the details we need (and the source we can immediately paste if we need eyes on it, and know that's the right source), we gain nothing by sharing it and stand to lose a few points. I'm all about trivia being fun, it's a blast, but there's no reason to take unnecessary risks. When everybody figures out a picture together, there's nothing avoiding that and its fine (almost all of them are massive group efforts), but if it's just one person and no one else manages to repeat that, there is absolutely no reason to share it with the room. Everyone gets to know when it is asked anyway.

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 18, 2016

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

I understand all that. I guess my thought is if his contest is losing participants it is very likely due to his own mistakes, stubbornness, and nonsensical rules and I find it hard to feel sorry for him. The contest itself is interesting enough and is a great team activity but let's be honest here, he's not doing anything special.

So are we going to have the ChesterJT 54 hour trivia contest this year? I don't know how anybody can think what he's does is easy. Just the fact that most of his Q's are answered is pretty freaking impressive IMO and that says nothing about organizing the contest and actually sustaining operations and keeping everyone in line...

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Is difficulty of first time connecting about equal to IRC on slack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

Haven't seen anyone volunteering to bite the bullet and watch 'The Duff' yet.

• Locked thread