Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
got into the irc channel a little while ago

what's the link to check the images?

e. or maybe not share the link here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Glad I could help chime in this year even if I was just part of the peanut gallery. My radio stream seemed to be 30 seconds behind everything so I was alway that much late finding answers. :shrug:

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Also, I work in an academic library so maybe I can help round up obscure info some way?

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
+1 for slack

I'm on a few slack groups and its miles above irc wrt ease of use

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Scientastic posted:

Can you set up boys on slack for ?emma and ?grease, though?

There's support for bots, yes

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Biowarfare posted:

re: slack - We've trialled both Slack and Hipchat (and Mattermost), and I've contributed patches to the ecosystem/API libraries and written bots for both before (and I was also in the Hipchat self hosted server beta/alpha). I have experience with all of them. They do not work well in browsers for this use case, and scrolling performance is murdered if any form of inline previews are enabled. The minimum cost will be ~$1100-$2400/month-ish too.

All message/image/inline previews have to be disabled. The desktop client starts pegging 100% cpu after scrolling upward for 15 seconds or so. Keep in mind we fairly often get bursts of 40 msg/sec+, often all links with previews. Scrolling literally drops to < 1 FPS.

Slack's free tier has 10k most recent messages; the rest drop off entirely (i.e., you can no longer even scroll upward for them, not just logging history). We use: 561304 2016-04-*.log lines.
Reactions to messages do not work because those lines scroll off by the time you click on them.

In short, think of this is twitch chat, not business discussions.

This is a good case for not using slack in our case. Thanks for the write up

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

If you don't want to be called a SPAI then get in irc in the week leading up to the contest. It's not absurd to go through the process of joining a team before a contest starts

On the other hand, there were numerous occasions in this thread on sat & Sunday asking goons to join the group. There's two conflicting experiences here: come join us have fun we're a community; and, if we don't know you or don't know our protocol then we're gonna label you a spy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ghosthorse posted:

Sorry, but I missed the last couple hours this year. How many people actually joined and got kicked at the end? You guys are making it seem like it was 50 or 60+ people. I forget every year how irc works and I'm sure am a nuisance to athanatos trying to figure out getting voiced and poo poo but I know I'm not gonna remember next year either so I always get my poo poo sorted the week before. Seems like some goons got called spies or were kicked? Well sorry, but next year join a bit earlier than the last couple hours. I don't know why everyone wants a new system or huge changes to put more work and stress onto the few goons who run this thing and every year crush it.

I don't think it's a matter of how many people got kicked, but more of a discussion on the problem with vetting and/or accommodating newcomers.

I joined late Friday for this years contest because someone in another thread said it would be fun and chill... I honestly thought I could just show up to an irc channel and get the gist of things but that wasn't the case. But that's not a complaint - just my own failure to read the main thread or appreciate the mechanisms in place.

And the problem gets compounded when other trivia goons ask for newcomers to join during the later half of the contest. You'll get casual folks logging in without knowing the irc rituals, not knowing procedure, not knowing how to request access to password protected files. I think it's easy to dismiss new comers and suggest it's their fault for not joining earlier but I think it's more a question of how to deal with them when they inevitably stumble, maybe feel out of place and maybe kicked out of the channel.

I think a good way to balance out the need for a growing community and vetting folks is to have a lobby channel where a bit of hand-holding and guidance can be found. And as someone else here mentioned, use the lobby channel as a springboard to vet the user (check screen name or whatever else) and grant them access to the main protected channel. I understand this changes the workflow and might cause backlash or more stress but it's my earnest suggestion in what I hope is a community that welcomes feedback.

This is my perspective as a first time participant and maybe I'm dumb and rehashing old conversations, or stepping on toes with my feedback. :shrug:

Nonetheless, I truly appreciate all the hard work and time that goes into an event like this and I can see that it's a stressful endeavor.

• Locked thread