Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I need a ciderboys tag this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
We have doctors, CEOs, and at least a hundred goons who do nothing but smoke weed, eat Chipotle, and work on databases that are magical. Join our team.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

H2SO4 posted:

CAN YOU LADIES AND GENTLEMEN SPARE A MOMENT TO HEAR ABOUT LOG CABINS

i stored all my money in a log cabin and it got stolen by bears

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

oh gently caress man I need one

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Teddybear posted:

"Hey Siri," "OK Google," and "Xbox Turn Off" would be fun to hear read now and again. Strategically give them a bit of points to spread them out?

Ahahaha YES

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Is there a bounty-holder? I'll do $500 for anyone who gets a 400+ pt question, as many as we get but only one per person.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I know the goon motto is "kill you're famil" but a sick kid is forcing me to tap out early. Good luck goons and let me know if anyone hits that luxurious bounty.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Leperflesh posted:

There are obviously several paths for Spais but honestly we're letting any goon play and that means someone planning in advance can pay the :tenbux: to register and there's gently caress all we can do about that.

The issue with the public IRC room is that people can wander in right when we're hashing out a tough question. Athanatos or whoever can kick them, but our normal procedure is to try to verify them as goons first, because we don't want to be kicking people who are legit. So there's a window of opportunity and it also places a burden on the admins to vet people the instant they come into the room, especially if we're right in the middle working a difficult question.

So a private chat room would require people to be vetted before they join - to the extent that we verify anyone, anyway - and that means admins don't have to instantly boot someone when really they'd probably rather be working on the question at hand.

I'm generally against the secret club question secrets thing. I realize it might mean a 500 point question gets found out by some other unscrupulous team and that turns it into a 300 point question and we don't gain on that team when we answer it. But honestly, and I don't know if this is how other people feel, but: keeping this thing a fun and engaging goon project is way more important to me than exactly where we place in the top ten. If other teams are dedicated to stealing and cheating in order to win, then they're going to win that way, and we shouldn't let that put a damper on our fun.

Of course I can live without knowing what that statue of liberty picture was before we answered the question, it's not that big of a deal. But when it comes to people being yelled at or even being kicked from the channel for having fun in the chat because it's confusing the callers because they need to call the secret answer and so we all need to shut up just in case of spais and our precious points? In my opinion that's a bad path to go down.

Let's put together the structure and use the tools necessary to avoid the necessity for that kind of thing if we possibly can.

Just to reiterate, my fun was not ruined or anything, nothing close to that, and everyone is cool and good, including the admins who were just doing their honest best.

couldn't agree more with this post, it's always obnoxious and seems to get worse every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I don't want to sound salty over the fact that some people take their trivia seriously. I had a great time while I was able to play, thanks again goons :)

• Locked thread