Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
I'm scheduled to work night shift all three nights. I guess I'll try to get some in just before and just after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Athanatos posted:

We already won one.

No poo poo?

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Posting again to prove I'm not a spy because stupid synirc deletes your nic reg after too long, apparently.

Dumb

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
West coast night crew still doing work.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

FadingChord posted:

It also occurs to me that a non-negligible feature of Slack is that you could constantly make the main room topic be the current question (which you can do in IRC) but still have links to everything else (Google Docs, the thread, scores, radio stream) in the Channel Purpose.

I'm not sure how the "call successfully placed" bot would import to Slack, but having a separate #callers channel could probably make that work. As somebody who wasn't on call duty and will never make a call, I honestly couldn't care less about successfully placed/unsuccessfully placed calls as long as somebody gets it in by the buzzer, so missing out on that wouldn't be the end of the world. (You could probably make a bot to do this pretty easily; I just don't personally know how.)

We'd have close to a year to figure it out, after all.

Watching the calls be placed is like half the excitement

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider

The Rabbi T. White posted:

If someone reminds me closer to the time next year, I'll spin up an AWS instance and configure us a private silc (encrypted IRC) server.
This has the added advantage of those who know what they're doing being able to use it as a shell with screen / tmux so you don't drop off from the channel when you shut your computer down and your session is available from anywhere.

If we want to get really fancy we could also set up a voip server of some description, allowing people outside the US to be able to join the phone team...

I'd say we could also host the wiki there and lock it down to connections from localhost only, but the thought of tech supporting a pile of people through dynamic ssh port forwarding is already giving me an eye tic.

Any barrier to entry will cut the potential pool of goons. Gotta be minimally invasive. I used to be a technerdbro and I could probably still do a linux thing but its been loving ages and I doubt everyone is going to be able or willing to ssh into a secured PGP VPN hypersecure goonclave.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
Google Calendar next April marked for taxes and trivia. Will be scheduling myself to not be at work too. Going to represent for night crew, best crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I just joined a slack thing for work and I highly advise against it.

IRC is better and is also part of the goon heritage.

• Locked thread