Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Tygor posted:

I love the passion of the team and there's a lot of great discussion on what we can do better next year. Unfortunately I'm not sure discussing this is in a semi-public forum is the way to go. It would pretty easy for teams around us in standings to use our lessons learned to their advantage. Already I would say a handful of teams made a jump with us towards closing the gap to dad's and festivus so we need to be more careful discussing "some things".

Well hey, only part of our success is based on our technology and process. The rest is from being really good at answering Oz's trivia questions. I think there was a reddit team last year and they ended up flaming out within two days. What teams are you referencing that are running up on us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

rawillkill posted:

The rest of the top 10

I think it's natural to have a bit of variation year-to-year. I don't think it's realistic to expect us to increase our standing every year, especially when we're still pretty drat far away from the leaders. There's the top tier of Dad's and Festivus and then the next tier down has us, network, UUU, lactation, foole, etc. What I was asking is was there another newish team that is running up on us? It seems like the others in our tier have been there for a long time. And I'm not sure what black magic is needed to actually rival Dad's and Festivus.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 25, 2016

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

rawillkill posted:

The gap closed significantly this year.

2015: 3,690 from 3rd to 2nd.
2016: 740 from 3rd to 2nd.

and it was 2.4k in 2014, 1.9k in 2013, and just 350 points in 2012. Which is all to say that there is variance. I think all we can conclude from your figures is that 2015 was a particularly loose contest and 2016 was a pretty tight one. There's no indication of a trend either way over the past 5 years.

And for those years, this is how behind the leader we ended:

2012: 3820
2013: 3195
2014: 5985
2015: 4625
2016: 2065

Now, I'm not actually sure how instructive raw points are in a trivia analysis given that the pool of total points changes year to year due to the scoring scheme (as Kloaked notes). There's probably some inferential value in the sense of how many big point questions we miss compared to the champs.

This is how we've done in terms of a proportion: our points/points of top team.

2012: 64.3%
2013: 70.1
2014: 72.4
2015: 79.9
2016: 86.7

Here, it looks like we're clearly doing better year to year but our standing overall changes a bit from 14th to 8th to 7th to 4th to 6th based on factors beyond our control (how other teams do). There's still no evidence to me that we're losing ground to other teams beyond year-to-year variance. In terms of our progress goals for next year, it should be to continue that trend and maybe even get north of 90%.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Apr 26, 2016

• Locked thread