Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Which reminds me, I need to request that Monday off of work. And everyone else should, too, because you'll probably oversleep on Monday like I did the first year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Superrodan posted:

Yes. We literally identified it for the first time during the question that was asked about it, and if I recall correctly, the question itself didn't help us, it was just sheer number of people and someone's oddball idea to look on the board game web site.

Yeah I had been looking on BGG for that picture all week but just didn't use the right search terms. So mad.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

wa27 posted:

Same, though to be fair the clue did give some additional info. "What is the elevation of Let Me Pass?" Without that, the only thing we had to go on was "well it kind of looks like Parker Bros art from the 80s". Once we knew it had a mountain theme that narrowed it down a lot.

But yeah, it's something we would have found if we had enough eyes on it before the contest. The pictures are one department where we could do much better every year, especially given our numbers. It's just hard to get people motivated to show up early and get verified/registered to see them.

I knew it was a mountain pass without the question, but never included "mountain" in my search terms because, well, stupid newbie. :/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Robert Carlyle got tossed.

But if you have a complete set of old retail store branded magazines, we need you.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
:suicide:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Didn't insist when I should have, insisted when I shouldn't have. Classic mistake.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 18, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
The most important thing about trivia is participation and having fun! It's not about whether or not you're right or wrong, but just ~friendship~ :ninja:

This year has been great, as always :D I think I will definitely head out to furstation next year, it looks like a blast.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

wa27 posted:

It was a question about a certain scene involving a cupcake and a shot-out windshield. We were having real trouble finding the scene for some reason. I think the version on youtube was missing it.

And then it turned into a debacle where we had the right educated guess but *someone* told us to stop calling and provided an incorrect answer.

Ultimately it was 20 points so it didn't affect our standing. Still, it was kind of funny to see our well-oiled machine break down on such a simple question so late in the contest.

I found the movie but it wouldn't let me maximize, so I had trouble scrubbing through it effectively. I should have just taken the time to go to the video host because if I'd done that, I would have been able to find the scene much more easily (which I did after I finally went to the video host).

So just remember, folks: haste makes waste!

And we can ALWAYS use more people. You can ALWAYS contribute. These questions are often tricky! For example, the obvious answer is often a red herring and doesn't fulfill every criteria of the question. People that are searching will often share search results that look likely but wrong or incomplete, and having people who are able to verify (as well as cross-check other people's sources) are KEY to us not missing the questions that are our bread and butter.

Even if you contribute just one answer or are able to lead us away from one wrong answer, WE NEED YOU. We were 50 points away from 5th and 35 points in front of 7th so even though we placed high, it's still incredibly close.

And if you get a 500 pointer, you would have won over a thousand dollars this year. That's over $20/hour, not bad for a trivia contest!

Edit: and donate! Friends of 90FM http://www.cfcwi.org/list-of-funds/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I agree that there's a lot of benefit to keeping things as simple as possible and that basically means IRC. I don't really think slack is great for the fast paced stuff that happens in trivia. It gives people flexibility, which is what's important. If you WANT inline images to show or something then you can set up IRC clients to do that. And, if we want to increase security, we can do that through IRC (institute lobby and then +k the main channel, for example, or at least registered only).

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
My Alma Mater also does a 26 hour trivia contest, Kaleidoquiz, though it's held in the spring (and thus already ended this year).

It's pretty epic, though, with the full contest involving ridiculous scavenger hunts and a traveling question (which in my year sent people out of state, 4+ hours away, and has apparently been even further away). I'm not sure that we could do the full contest due to the HUUUUGE ground crew requirements, but they do offer radio-only teams.

http://www.kure.stuorg.iastate.edu/trivia/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hey, I'm famous!

edit: I mean, hey, I got called out by a famous person!

• Locked thread