Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
This sounds weird as gently caress but is actually fun. Join in April or whatever and see if it's any good.

Have some examples of what the contest question are:

1. Thomas R. Maguire writes a heartfelt letter to a Colonel thanking him for the letter of sympathy regarding his son. He understands they have to be careful about security these days, but wishes they could have told him how his son died. What is the first name of his son?

2. In a breakfast advertisement, a product which claims twice the vitamin and mineral nutrition sees Bob Bartram bet his entire house and lose it. Amanda Pittman bet something she was wearing and lost that too. What did Amanda Pittman bet?

3. This new wave band had their most success on the Billboard Charts in late 1982 with a Top Ten single, before following up almost four months later with another single that peaked at #30, in 1983, which talked about falling in love. What is the name of the band in question?

Be sure to put on 2 songs from the 1930s for each of these questions for the right immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Parahexavoctal posted:

These are actual examples? What are the answers?

1. Tommy
2. The Family Jewels
3. A Flock of Seagulls

It's how all the questions are, gives you enough to google/get an idea what the question comes from, then once you have the source, you start digging into that source for the answer.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
More example questions:

1. In one TV advertisement, an advisor, Arthur, tells us: "You can go to a doctor and tell them 'I've got this pain.' What's the difference? You can call a psychic and say 'I have this pain in my emotional life.'" What is the extension given to call Arthur?

2. Time for some basketball! This one time NBA MVP made an unexpected appearance with the fictional Tornadoes high school basketball team back in 1997. What brand of shirt is this professional athlete wearing while playing with the Tornadoes?

3. What American animated comedy, which aired on Jetix after its original run on Fox, debuted in 1995 and featured characters which included a veteran of a world war and a pet goldfish?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

CrashCat posted:

Alright, time off has been reserved. Looking forward to causing us to lose points with panicky time announcements and spamming the potato ads all weekend.

dig in and eat your heart out

Potato ads?

Wait, do you think Portesi Cheese Fries are actual fries?

Tell me not CrashCat.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Oh yeah brylcreem, we wouldn't want to bring down the high name institution that includes "My Couch Pulls out but I don't," "Dead Girls Dont Say Know," and "8=====D"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

8 track betamax posted:

You guys want a new thread title while we're at it?

"Trivia 47: Mystery pictures on Monday, contest starts 4/15"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Hey the Movie is Blues Brothers. If you know anything about Blues Brothers come to Trivia next weekend.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Demonachizer posted:

Is there an archive of the mystery pictures somewhere? I remember one year spending waaaaay too much time trying to figure out a cartoon character on one and I just remembered about it and now I am totally going nuts because I want to know what it ended up being.

Join the IRC

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Teddybear posted:

300 or so teams, roughly fifty hours, this is our sixth year. We're probably due.

We already won one.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
:siren: We have pictures, come help. :siren:

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Will anyone who lives near or in driving distance of:

Fort Wayne, IN
Benton, KY
Mission, TX
Salem, OR

please come to chat?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Oh my god.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Everyone feel free to hang out and chat over the year if you have any questions or concerns.

Leperflesh posted:

ut when it comes to people being yelled at or even being kicked from the channel for having fun in the chat because it's confusing the callers because they need to call the secret answer

This was 2 different things and not the issue.

Athanatos fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 18, 2016

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
You're still here?

It's over.

Go Home.

Go.

We won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Turdsdown Tom posted:

watching that highlight video, it blows my mind how absolutely loving horrible some of these on-air folks are at pronouncing things. the "cee why young" award???? how do these people run a trivia contest yet are not able to pronounce some of the most critical words in a question?

They are students and learning.

Also they are young so they have no idea what baseball is, or Abba

• Locked thread