Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Still got the TKOL newspaper. Was pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I really wasn't a fan of TKOL, but "Little by Little" was a track that I really liked. When I saw them on the TKOL tour, they played every song on the album except Little by Little :argh:

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Tkol is five years old already

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I liked a few tracks from The King of Limbs (Codex, Lotus Flower, The Butcher which I count because it came out like a month later and you got it for free if you bought the album), but it was a letdown after 3.5 years of waiting after a truly great album. Hopefully they've had some better ideas in the past five. It is the longest they've gone between albums so they should've had some time for writing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
King of Limbs is really good, you guys are crazy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I adore TKOL, but including The Butcher on it would have shot it into the stratosphere. No clue where it would go on the tracklist, though.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

I liked a few tracks from The King of Limbs (Codex, Lotus Flower, The Butcher which I count because it came out like a month later and you got it for free if you bought the album), but it was a letdown after 3.5 years of waiting after a truly great album. Hopefully they've had some better ideas in the past five. It is the longest they've gone between albums so they should've had some time for writing.

Dusting off Lift either bodes well or terribly, depending on if you find the 2002 version amazing or a sloppy slow reconstruction bearing no relation to the guitar pop original.

Identikit is the bomb though.

Burn the Witch!

... But they ruined Supercollider.

(deliberately not mentioning Videotape)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The original version of Videotape exists as a commercial release-quality concert recording, so I've never understood the butthurt about it not making the album like that. We have it both ways. Everybody should be happy.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

The original version of Videotape exists as a commercial release-quality concert recording, so I've never understood the butthurt about it not making the album like that. We have it both ways. Everybody should be happy.

Well we don't have it both ways;
1) Videotape appears on In Rainbows, this is an album.
2) Say you buy In Rainbows. The other version isn't there.
3) So you have to find the other version and like, compile it yourself.

I get what you're saying but you seem to be pretending the buffed up rework undoes the album Videotape (which I don't even mind!)

You would only be right if you could get In Rainbows in both flavours.

Plus there is something to the idea of the "released studio version" being definitive. Even if many bands, and definitely Radiohead, frequently have better live / radio / basement takes than what's on their albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Well we don't have it both ways;
1) Videotape appears on In Rainbows, this is an album.
2) Say you buy In Rainbows. The other version isn't there.

I get what you're saying but you seem to be pretending the buffed up rework undoes the album Videotape (which I don't even mind!)

You would only be right if you could get In Rainbows in both flavours.

Plus there is something to the idea of the "released studio version" being definitive. Even if many bands, and definitely Radiohead, frequently have better live / radio / basement takes than what's on their albums.

Boo hoo.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

The album version of Videotape is really good. I never imagined that there were people who didn't like it.

i think King of Limbs is their 2nd weakest non live album after Pablo Honey. A weak Radiohead album is still a good album.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I love King of Limbs. I pretty much have to hear it on nice headphones though. The appeal of it is the extreme depth of the sound. There's little sound textures going on constantly throughout that you don't quite notice or they flatten together if you're on something crappy, which I usually have. It really gives off a "surrounded by sound" quality that the name implies, as though you're in a thick, uncharted ghost forest.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I would rather listen to king of limbs than YAWN ok computer

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

:agreed: But mostly because the stuff I burned through in high school I prefer to avoid.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Getting an mp3 and putting it in a playlist is a titanic struggle

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I would rather listen to king of limbs than YAWN ok computer

I literally yawn at the thought of the king of limbs

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

A human heart posted:

Getting an mp3 and putting it in a playlist is a titanic struggle

Son, I have In Rainbows on vinyl.

Drop your smart assed smarky bullshit and inform me the vinyl editing process! :)

And no dodging it by saying Listen to MP3s instead!

I'll wait. ;)

This thread is gonna be so funny.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ZoDiAC_ posted:

This thread is gonna be so funny.

Really?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really, really like Identikit.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors is the best Radiohead song.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Creep is their only good song.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

Creep is their only good song.

I like creep better than everything on TKOL except maybe Give up the ghost

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I like creep better than everything on TKOL except maybe Give up the ghost
Same. Creep's been overplayed to death but it's still a more enjoyable/better-constructed song than just about all of TKOL's tracks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think Lurgee is a good song.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I Can't has a really catchy chorus, as does Anyone Can Play Guitar.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I'm disappointed with how TKOL turned out but I think that Codex is one of the best songs they've ever written.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Great news!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I love The King of Limbs, one of my most listened-to RH albums. Good album to gently caress to, and the newspaper edition is awesome. Plus they emailed me bonus tracks and I added them to my album for free. Hardly ever listen to In Rainbows anymore, it's pretty uneven though I liked it a lot at the time. Amnesiac and Hail to... have both aged extremely well.

Basically, Radiohead are good devs and gave me free DLC

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
At first I was somewhere between properly whelmed and underwhelmed by TKOL. I thought TKOL12345678 was an interesting experiment that mostly failed, but seeing them on the 2012 tour absolutely unlocked that record's potential for me and opened me up to the intricacies of the performances and the expertise of the layering.

Of course, the songs I recall today from that show are Staircase and Supercollider, which aren't even on the album, so...

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Sam Smith's song for Spectre won an Academy Award

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Sam Smith's song for Spectre won an Academy Award

Somewhere Johnny Greenwood is sharpening a knife and writing down the names of Academy members.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Somewhere Johnny Greenwood is sharpening a knife and writing down the names of Academy members.

Actually, I think he's probably sighing contentedly about not being the tool on stage winning an academy award for poo poo-grade balladry.

VVVVVV Oh I get what you meant homie

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 2, 2016

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Actually, I think he's probably sighing contentedly about not being the tool on stage winning an academy award for poo poo-grade balladry.

I meant more the whole "Radiohead's Spectre not being used and Johnny get hosed over with There Will Be Blood."

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

What do you guys think Johnny Greenwood is doing right now?

I bet he's playing Dark Souls.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Probably putting more anime stickers on his guitar.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

I meant more the whole "Radiohead's Spectre not being used and Johnny get hosed over with There Will Be Blood."

He didn't really "get hosed over", his score for There Will Be Blood incorporated material that was not originally composed for the film and had been previously released, so it wasn't a fully original score and was thus disqualified. I enjoyed that soundtrack a lot and in general hate the Oscars and other awards ceremonies, but that particular incident seems fair.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Goddamn the Amnesiac b-sides are amazing (apart from Fast Track).

The Amazing Sounds of Orgy
Trans-Atlantic Drawl
Kinetic
Worrywort
Fog
Cuttooth

Probably the best selection of offcuts from any single album I can think of.

They're all on the special edition of Amnesiac.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah I have a playlist of those called "Kid EP" as its from those sessions. They're all amazing songs, that were just 2001 bsides. Crazy.

Not to mention the album ("Sarky Cogs Swkringround" or something) that's all songs written after OK Computer that were going to be on the followup before it became Kid A (Nude, Pyramid Song, How To Disappear, Last Flowers etc.) but that's more a sequencing thing.

There's always the earlier bsides album - Killer Cars, Talk Show Host, Banana Co etc.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Oh it's this thread again. Christ, you're all wrong about everything!

The King of Limbs rules. Codex - the song TKOL haters like, because it most resembles previous Radiohead songs - is the only weak track. The live versions are cool but the album's better. The whole point is that it's built on loops and cycles. When you play that with real human beings it's definitely exciting and I'm glad it happened, but it's also kind of a giant mess.

My Twisted Words also rules. It's spooky and groovy at the same time. What more could you want from a Radiohead track? Motorik 4/4 drumming with a 5/4 guitar riff. Sign me up.

Tomorrow's Modern Boxes is a mature electronic album by someone who has been trying to make proper electronic music for a very long time. I appreciate how minimal and focused it is. It shits all over The Eraser, which is basically a compilation of scrappy bedroom demos stitched together by a world-class producer. The Motherlode's vocal melody is one of the best Yorke's ever come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Oh it's this thread again. Christ, you're all wrong about everything!

The King of Limbs rules. Codex - the song TKOL haters like, because it most resembles previous Radiohead songs - is the only weak track.

You see, this guy gets it.