Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

hughesta posted:

Wall of Ice was pre-TKOL, people thought it would be an EP with Twisted Words/Harry Patch
Whoops you're right, I was conflating it with the imaginary followup to TKOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
hmm wall of eyes is also eight songs long…

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What is the significance of that?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Jewmanji posted:

What is the significance of that?

Weirdos who weren’t satisfied with TKOL convinced themselves it was just half of the project since it “only” had 8 songs on it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
8 track albums loving rule. Remain in Light, New Order’s Low-Life…get in, make a statement, and promptly peace out.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Freaquency posted:

Weirdos who weren’t satisfied with TKOL convinced themselves it was just half of the project since it “only” had 8 songs on it

"If you think this is over, then you're wrong"

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Freaquency posted:

Ok, yeah, I do remember those rumors. And so because this new album is 8 tracks.... the theory is that Thom has taken those 8 songs from the TKOL sessions that they couldn't fit onto TKOL, the TKOL b-sides, A Moon Shaped Pool, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes, Anima, or Amok and recorded a whole new album based entirely on those castoffs?

*Superintended Chalmers voice* Aurora Borealis!?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't imagine TKOL having more tracks, or being the first half of a double album. It just feels perfectly formed as it is.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

stev posted:

I can't imagine TKOL having more tracks, or being the first half of a double album. It just feels perfectly formed as it is.

Yeah I agree. The album progresses so beautifully that I can’t see trying to fit anything else in the middle, and by the time it’s done it feels like they’ve said everything that they’ve wanted to.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

The Modern Leper posted:

"If you think this is over, then you're wrong"

I mean, they weren’t lying. Afterwards they released four singles, a live album, and a remix album. That album had a pretty long tail of related releases.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The post-TKOL period of singles is really underrated. I've probably listened to Staircase more than any other RH track the past few years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Answers Me posted:

The post-TKOL period of singles is really underrated. I've probably listened to Staircase more than any other RH track the past few years.

:yeah: I think the From the Basement version of Daily Mail could be tighter and would've benefited from a bit more work before an official release, but Staircase is basically perfect.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Album cover reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-CaElCTBmk

Also 8 tracks doesn't mean much, I imagine they had more but decided to cut a couple and replace them with Bending Hectic which originally wasn't going to be on the album, as far as I know? There's some songs they've been playing live for a while that aren't on the tracklisting so I'm sure there's plenty of b-sides laying around somewhere that may (but probably won't) be released.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Answers Me posted:

I saw some list on the internet that ranked all RH songs, and The Butcher was right near the bottom. That's when I really started questioning my reality.

https://www.vulture.com/2016/05/every-radiohead-song-ranked.html

Yeah sorry this whole list is violence.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Also 8 tracks doesn't mean much, I imagine they had more but decided to cut a couple and replace them with Bending Hectic which originally wasn't going to be on the album, as far as I know? There's some songs they've been playing live for a while that aren't on the tracklisting so I'm sure there's plenty of b-sides laying around somewhere that may (but probably won't) be released.
All they said was Bending Hectic wasn't an album single, which was true. They weren't releasing it in promotion of an upcoming album. The album mix seems to be a bit different as well. My guess is there are 8 songs because that's all they managed to get recorded that they were happy with.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Answers Me posted:

I know TKOL was (and probably still is) considered a pretty mediocre effort, but I loved it and with all the great supplemental material that era has probably wound up being one of my favorites for the band.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think the trouble is that TKOL is so short that even a single track being mediocre can really impact the general feel of the album. There's three tracks on the album that I don't really care for, and so it doesn't really leave you with much. If you were to add in the b-sides and extra stuff like Staircase and Supercollider, suddenly those three bad tracks wouldn't have as much impact. This is essentially what happens with HTTT. I think everyone probably has 2-3 tracks on HTTT they don't care for, but because it's so long, there's still plenty to love and so its reputation remains fairly solid.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jewmanji posted:

I think the trouble is that TKOL is so short that even a single track being mediocre can really impact the general feel of the album. There's three tracks on the album that I don't really care for, and so it doesn't really leave you with much. If you were to add in the b-sides and extra stuff like Staircase and Supercollider, suddenly those three bad tracks wouldn't have as much impact. This is essentially what happens with HTTT. I think everyone probably has 2-3 tracks on HTTT they don't care for, but because it's so long, there's still plenty to love and so its reputation remains fairly solid.

King of limbs is way better than HTTT though. And there’s like 6 boring songs on HTTt

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All of the songs on TKOL are bangers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HD DAD posted:

All of the songs on TKOL are bangers.

Exactly. I don’t even know what songs people are supposed to not like on it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

King of limbs is way better than HTTT though. And there’s like 6 boring songs on HTTt

6!? Name them.

For TKOL I’ve never really enjoyed Mr. magpie, little by little, or give up the ghost. I sense that I’m way in the minority on those first two. The only other RH song where I think I deviate further from consensus is Let Down, which I’ve never liked much.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jewmanji posted:

6!? Name them.

For TKOL I’ve never really enjoyed Mr. magpie, little by little, or give up the ghost. I sense that I’m way in the minority on those first two. The only other RH song where I think I deviate further from consensus is Let Down, which I’ve never liked much.

There There is an all-timer. A+ song. The rest of the album is mediocre to bad. The ballads are sleepy instead of dreamy, the rock songs don’t break any new ground, the gloaming is maybe the most boring song in their catalog. The whole thing is too long and it feels longer. They sound burned out. I could absolutely listen to an argument that HTTT is their worst album. I would make the argument it’s their 2nd worst. Vs king of limbs which is exciting and energized and tight.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jewmanji posted:

give up the ghost.

wtf

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

Exactly. I don’t even know what songs people are supposed to not like on it.

The Radiohead fandom is just a bunch of lifelong contrarians, you'll always find someone not liking something

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Jewmanji posted:

6!? Name them.

I like all those TKOL songs but I'm with you on Let Down. Watching Ixi Music video about it helped me appreciate it, but it's still very very far from being my favorite.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

The rest of the album is mediocre to bad.

There's nothing new under the sun when it comes to Radiohead opinions. But this... this is a new one for me. FWIW I agree with you on The Gloaming.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
who else thinks amnesiac is the best one?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Amnesiac is better than Kid A, yeah

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Otis Reddit posted:

who else thinks amnesiac is the best one?

Pull/Pulk is the best song therefore Amnesiac is the best album.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I don’t like let down either and tbh the last time I listened to TKOL my favorite songs was Feral so not sure what that says about my opinions.

Staircase is better than the entire album tho

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think HTTT is almost a good album, but a bit bloated and not sequenced particularly well. I have my own track list for when I do want to listen to it.

TKOL is a great album but I think the stuff really shines live. The album version of Lotus Flower is mellow, but the live version has way more energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiaf-ErX1Ow&t=43s

Magpie really rocks live too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ko-qRJVME&t=34s

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

Amnesiac is better than Kid A, yeah

Agree, kind of.

I used to be strongly indifferent to Amnesiac, but after listening again earlier this year it really grew on me.

I feel like Kid A is the stronger album of the two, but I don't really like listening to it unless I'm listening to it in full, which I'm rarely in the mood for. Amnesiac's individual tracks are way more enjoyable.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Kid A and Amnesiac are like ying and yang, one might have a preference but neither can be properly thought of as 'better', at least imo

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

Yeah, I think it's too tight and some poor choices were made in regards to what tracks to put on the album and what tracks to leave off. That just comes with being a fan of these guys though, there's always incredible songs that don't make it onto albums for one reason or another that will scratch different itches for different people.

What I do find really impressive about TKOL however is that it covers so much sonic ground for such a short album. Play the tracks 'Feral', 'Give Up the Ghost', 'Codex' & 'Lotus Flower' to someone unfamiliar and tell them they're tracks from the same band and comprise half of an album and they'd probably think you're bullshitting them. It's a huge accomplishment that they actually pulled it off and made it work.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the only track they actually left off TKOL was The Butcher. The rest was finished and released after TKOL came out. I could see The Butcher on there, but the other ones don't really fit the chopped, looped, and sampled nature of the other tracks on there. I think the post-TKOL, pre-AMSP era is almost its own era, with heavier use of synths and grooves with tracks like Staircase, Supercollider, Identikit, and Ful Stop. As much as I love AMSP, I do kind of wish we got a followup to TKOL that went deeper into that sound.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s funny how Bangers + Mash of all songs was kinda the most indicative of the forthcoming TKOL era. Just grooves built out of loops and splices.

The main difference is TKOL was digital, while Bangers was physical tape loops. Weirdly, it was also the earliest song worked on from what would become In Rainbows, dating back to 2004. So they’ve had that funky loop streak in their system for a bit.

e: yeah forgot about Nude

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 29, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

HD DAD posted:

Weirdly, it was also the earliest song worked on from what would become In Rainbows, dating back to 2004.
Nude would like a word

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Now that I don’t have to change discs in my car or Walkman I don’t really think about the albums themselves that much anymore. I just play what I feel like hearing by them in whatever order I’m in the mood for. I hope the release another 8-12 songs soon or whatever but after the initial release they’ll just end up in the same rotation as everything else.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Volte posted:

I think the only track they actually left off TKOL was The Butcher. The rest was finished and released after TKOL came out. I could see The Butcher on there, but the other ones don't really fit the chopped, looped, and sampled nature of the other tracks on there. I think the post-TKOL, pre-AMSP era is almost its own era, with heavier use of synths and grooves with tracks like Staircase, Supercollider, Identikit, and Ful Stop. As much as I love AMSP, I do kind of wish we got a followup to TKOL that went deeper into that sound.

I think These Are My Twisted Words could technically be considered the first song of the TKOL era? But yeah I'm just lumping all the songs that they worked on during the recording of the album together. What surprised me was learning that Daily Mail was actually written 6 years prior, and when they decided to perform it for Basement the arrangement was completed in a week by Jonny. Wild how long they can have things cooking before they're recorded, if at all.

Completely agree about Identikit & Ful Stop as well, for me the original live versions were incredible and the AMSP versions were disappointing. That album in general is just weird to me though, even though I really like Burn the Witch, Daydreaming & True Love Waits. I agree with the sentiment that there is kind of a missing album between TKOL & AMSP where if they had gone back into the studio with their new material as soon as the tour ended, I imagine they probably could have put out another album of similar length to TKOL which would have captured the sound of the band at the time. The original versions of Ful Stop & Identikit? A studio recording of Cut a Hole? :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Twisted Words came out and was first performed during the In Rainbows tour

edit: It was accompanied by art reminiscent of the TKOL art though, so the association is pretty natural

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 30, 2023