Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Barry Foster posted:

Kid A and Amnesiac are like ying and yang, one might have a preference but neither can be properly thought of as 'better', at least imo

Extremely true, I always looked at Amnesiac like Kid A's dark side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

SUNKOS posted:

I think These Are My Twisted Words could technically be considered the first song of the TKOL era? But yeah I'm just lumping all the songs that they worked on during the recording of the album together. What surprised me was learning that Daily Mail was actually written 6 years prior, and when they decided to perform it for Basement the arrangement was completed in a week by Jonny. Wild how long they can have things cooking before they're recorded, if at all.

Completely agree about Identikit & Ful Stop as well, for me the original live versions were incredible and the AMSP versions were disappointing. That album in general is just weird to me though, even though I really like Burn the Witch, Daydreaming & True Love Waits. I agree with the sentiment that there is kind of a missing album between TKOL & AMSP where if they had gone back into the studio with their new material as soon as the tour ended, I imagine they probably could have put out another album of similar length to TKOL which would have captured the sound of the band at the time. The original versions of Ful Stop & Identikit? A studio recording of Cut a Hole? :vince:

I thought full stop turned out good but identikit was a little disappointing. Which is crazy considering how amazing it was live when they started playing it on the TKOL tour. Present Tense and Spectre are defijitely my favorite final versions from that period, those were both just perfect

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volte posted:

Twisted Words came out and was first performed during the In Rainbows tour

edit: It was accompanied by art reminiscent of the TKOL art though, so the association is pretty natural

It definitely sounds of a piece with TKOL as well. The production style wasn't nailed down yet but the musical style was.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Twisted Words feels closer to the Amnesiac B-sides than TKOL. It has the same dark vibes as like Fast-Track, Kinetic, Orgy.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I thought full stop turned out good but identikit was a little disappointing. Which is crazy considering how amazing it was live when they started playing it on the TKOL tour. Present Tense and Spectre are defijitely my favorite final versions from that period, those were both just perfect

Yeah I love the synth in the live version and every time I listen to the album version I cannot help but start laughing at the vocals that drown out that section because it just sounds so ridiculous and goofy. I just cannot fathom the band and Nigel in the studio listening to that and not giggling/snickering because of how comical it is. Then the disappointment sets in and yeah :smith:

I get what they were going for with Ful Stop and it works, it's just personal preference for me since the live version was a banger. It also works as a more muted and darker song as well, but I liked the original performance live which was kind of like National Anthem or Idioteque for impact, albeit with Ed dancing around rather than Thom. That version wouldn't have really worked on AMSP though, I guess, which makes me agree with what Volte said about an album between TKOL & AMSP being perfect for that material and the synth-focused direction they were going in.

I keep forgetting about Spectre but that's a great song as well! Surprised it got turned down for the movie but after it did I think it would have been worth changing the lyrics and putting it on the album since I think AMSP could have been a record with a lot of string arrangements rather than occupying a weird (for me) space that comes across as kind of unfocused and as if the band was a bit lost. I think Nigel said somewhere that Spectre completely disrupted the recording sessions with the band stopping halfway through to do that and I think that with songs like Burn the Witch & Daydreaming in the bag, and then Spectre? That would have been a great direction to take the album in imo, and I suspect the band would have recorded a spectacular version of Cut a Hole with string arrangements added, the song is perfect for that. I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority of being iffy about AMSP, though.

My favorite final version of a song from that period is probably Skirting on the Surface. The Smile version is one of the highlights of that record, imo, and why I'm holding out hope that they hopefully tackle Cut a Hole at some point since the band has revisited unfinished Radiohead songs before.

Sir Lemming posted:

It definitely sounds of a piece with TKOL as well. The production style wasn't nailed down yet but the musical style was.

This is how I feel as well, it really sounds like a starting point for the album and according to Wikipedia TKOL was recorded between May '09 and January '11, with Twisted Words being released in August '09, which aside from the artwork and musical style places it firmly in the early album sessions camp for me. I had no idea it was played on the IR tour though, I thought the only new live song from that periods was Spooks.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a good version of the pre-ASMP Identikit on Youtube someone can share? I'm not sure I've heard it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jewmanji posted:

Is there a good version of the pre-ASMP Identikit on Youtube someone can share? I'm not sure I've heard it.

https://www.radiohead.com/library/#tkol/2012-03-06-austin-city-limits

Skip to about 27:30 for Identikit, but the whole performance is great

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N7Uhfi3FoM

This is the performance from one of the shows I went to. It slapped

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Volte posted:

https://www.radiohead.com/library/#tkol/2012-03-06-austin-city-limits

Skip to about 27:30 for Identikit, but the whole performance is great

Thanks for posting this, I'd never seen it before and love it. Only watched a bit but the performance of Feral is really interesting and fun, and this version of Identikit is much better quality than my previous favorite. Wish the synth was louder but that's a small complaint when it's such high quality. Thom going over to talk to Jonny before Idioteque starts and Colin being ecstatic afterwards is also hilarious, must be stressful as hell to play live.

Speaking of, I can't remember what song it was now but I saw someone post a clip of Jonny on Reddit a while back and he was playing keyboard with the headstock of his guitar (modified so it was thin enough to hit single notes) while playing guitar :stare:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of, I can't remember what song it was now but I saw someone post a clip of Jonny on Reddit a while back and he was playing keyboard with the headstock of his guitar (modified so it was thin enough to hit single notes) while playing guitar :stare:
He does that in Street Spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXy5xdwJaIY&t=4980s

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
New Smile song dropped today. It's amazing. One of the most beautiful songs Thom/Jonny have written in a long time.

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-smile-share-new-song-friend-of-a-friend-announce-global-movie-theater-screenings/

edit: Oh poo poo I didn't realize the album is out in 2.5 weeks! When they announced it in November I just put it out of my mind that it was coming out anytime soon because the wait felt interminable.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 9, 2024

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Song makes me think of late era Beatles for some reason. Another great track and I'm really fond of the strings throughout, I sometimes wonder if they'll one day go all-in with a record and tour with a string section to support, adding in some appropriate Radiohead songs as well. Either ways it's going to be exciting if they manage to maintain this level of output with The Smile.

Does anyone know if it's possible to download that Austin City Limits live show from the Radiohead Library, by the way?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

the Wall of Eyes song and music video (directed by Paul Thomas Anderson!) is some good poo poo. I can't be the only person on the planet that thinks of the Unsolved Mysteries theme when I listen (this might sound lame but I mean it in a good way)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Album leaked since some copies went out at events. Personally, I think Friend of a Friend is the best track on the whole thing by a wide margin. Need more listens to make a real judgement on whether it's better than their first.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

From an NME article about a listening party event and Q&A:

quote:

After the eight tracks of the album were played – accompanied by visuals of the artwork made by Yorke with designer and longtime collaborator Stanley Donwood – a message came up on the screen, reading: ‘What’s this then?’ before a lush and orchestral ‘hidden’ track was played, later revealed by Yorke to be called ‘Tiptoe’. However, it was not revealed if this would be part of the album or see a later release.

They did, however, promise that fan favourite live tracks including ‘Bodies Laughing’, ‘Colours Fly’ and ‘Just Eyes And Mouth’ would eventually see the light of day.

“The ones that we haven’t released, we either just haven’t recorded yet or we’re working on,” he said, with Skinner admitting: “There are more songs but those eight just sort of fit together. It wasn’t a really conscious thing, they just all seemed to work together somehow. Sam helped us to see that.”

I think it's safe to say we'll be getting a third album!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pitchfork should've reviewed it early, now nobody will get to read it :rip:

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

ive only heard the 3 singles from the new smile album. wall of eyes and bending hectic i liked almost immediately. friend of a friend bored me to tears. maybe it will grow on me like their first album eventually did. i will listen to anything thom and jonny touch, but i just dont spin the smile like i do most radiohead albums. hoping the full album will make me eat these words.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhivN4GJQCQ

Only 5 and a half hours to go until the new album drops!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hackers film 1995 posted:

friend of a friend bored me to tears.

are you one of the kids in the video?

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I think this is the best album from anyone in the group since AMSP and I might like it more than that

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On first listen, I definitely like A Light For Attracting Attention more than this. The tracks on here I thought were the best were Read The Room, Under Our Pillows and Bending Hectic with Bending Hectic being the real standout of the whole thing. ALFAA feels like it had a stronger bunch of tracks that I'd rather return to, though.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Jewmanji posted:

are you one of the kids in the video?

after watching the video for the first time and hearing the song for the 3rd time yes im the dumb lil blonde kid who is clearly acting up. im bored, but im upgrading the song to middling. always nice to see thom enjoying life though.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I really like the new album a lot. It always takes me a few months to really wrap my head around RH/adjacent albums, but I like the cohesiveness of this a bit more than ALFAA. Despite these songs not being written specifically with the intention of making a record, it has a great flow to it. I think ALFAA is a great collection of songs with a sort of dizzying sequencing- it almost reminds of HTTT in that sense. And I think Friend of a Friend is a top 15 song from Thom/Jonny, which is saying a lot.

But they're both great and if RH never release another album at this point, I'll be very satisfied with more Smile.

edit: I Quit is one of the sexiest songs they've ever written.

edit2: I like this every bit as much as, if not more than AMSP and TKOL (which is a compliment, not a put down on either of those albums which are both bangers).

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 26, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Man I'm just obsessed with Teleharmonic. Those synths give me the shivers (good style)

Otherwise, gonna take a few listens. The album as a whole feels very of a piece - similar tempos, similar vibes the whole way through

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barry Foster posted:

Otherwise, gonna take a few listens. The album as a whole feels very of a piece - similar tempos, similar vibes the whole way through

To be entirely honest it bored me on the first listen for this reason. There's nothing like YWNWITA or Thin Thing to mix things up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stev posted:

To be entirely honest it bored me on the first listen for this reason. There's nothing like YWNWITA or Thin Thing to mix things up.
:yeah: :smith:

I've only listened once, but it felt kinda sleepy. I'll give it another shot, but my first impression was that I wasn't wowed by it.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Extremely strong album, no real weak spots. If I had to pick one disappointment, it's the muddy reverb-laden production on the climax of Bending Hectic. Otherwise it exceeded my expectations in every way. You Know Me is an incredibly good album closer.

edit: Weird, I've only listened to ALFAA like three times because it struck me as an insanely mellow album aside from a couple of tracks, whereas Wall of Eyes feels like it has a bit more teeth, even in the slower songs, largely thanks to way more interesting production. I've already listened to it three times and it held my interest the entire way.

Volte fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 26, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

:yeah: :smith:

I've only listened once, but it felt kinda sleepy. I'll give it another shot, but my first impression was that I wasn't wowed by it.

It is sleepy, that's a good way to put it

In fact it might be the sleepiest thing Thom has ever put out

Even more than AMSP

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm on my 2nd listen now & it's not doing a whole lot for me. I love Thom Yorke's voice & think of it as an instrument, but his voice alone doesn't make a song great. The other instruments need to be interesting too & I'm not finding that to be the case here. Even something like TKOL, which is not my favorite Radiohead album at all, has Thom's vocals over more interesting instrumentals, so I'd rather listen to that than this again.

Oh well. I'll always have ALFAA.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Oh well. I'll always have ALFAA.

That album is such an all timer, goddamn

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Barry Foster posted:

That album is such an all timer, goddamn
It really is! I'm so glad I got to see them live when they were touring for that one.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I loving love this album

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Volte posted:

Extremely strong album, no real weak spots. If I had to pick one disappointment, it's the muddy reverb-laden production on the climax of Bending Hectic. Otherwise it exceeded my expectations in every way. You Know Me is an incredibly good album closer.

edit: Weird, I've only listened to ALFAA like three times because it struck me as an insanely mellow album aside from a couple of tracks, whereas Wall of Eyes feels like it has a bit more teeth, even in the slower songs, largely thanks to way more interesting production. I've already listened to it three times and it held my interest the entire way.
Agreeing pretty much completely with this. I think the album is much more dynamic and attention grabbing than ALFAA, which I think gets boring in spots.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm really not in love with this one. ALFAA was better but still just doesn't captivate me like the stuff that comes from the whole Radiohead team.

Maybe I'm just not in the right headspace for it but this was a really sleepy album. Might like it more if I was inebriated or something lol.

Bending Hectic was the star of the show though. What a pretty song.

I'll have to come back to this one sometime. I didn't like AMSP at ALL when I first heard it, but then I listened to it at a different time in my life and it's my all time favorite album now. So who knows!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I do feel like the whole Radiohead gang is it's own particular magic, and ultimately think I'll always love it best.

It's just different without the Phil + Colin rhythms or the Ed sounds and vox

And that's being too reductive, because it's not as simple as 'Ed does the whooshy noises' or whatever, it's a genuine Energy they have together

When Thom and Johnny are situated in the Radiohead context they're making music with people they've known and played with since they were kids, and they just fit together, and it's audible

I'll never begrudge anyone of them doing whatever they want for however long they want, because they're artists and they should do exactly what they feel

But it's been a long time since we've had some Radiohead, and I miss it

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

Bending Hectic being the real standout of the whole thing

I really like the album but yeah, Bending Hectic just towers over the rest of the tracks to such a degree that it makes great tracks sound less so in comparison. I cannot even decide which version of Bending Hectic I enjoy more, but both are fantastic. Realizing Jonny's been using Wata's Hizumitas with his LP makes me wonder if he listened to some Boris and the ending section was inspired by them a little?

Regarding Radiohead however, and I know this will be comical for obvious reasons, but all I really miss from them right now are more experimental electronic bangers. I'm talking tracks like Idioteque, National Anthem & Myxomatosis (and the original Ful Stop if you were lucky enough to hear/experience it). There were hints on ALFAA (We Don't Know What Tomorrow Brings is very much in that style) and there's some light synth use here but The Smile seems to be a very analogue-focused band. They're also limited to what the three of them can do on stage which doesn't offer Thom any opportunity to jump around since they're all doing so much to accomplish the rich sound that they create.

I really like Tom's drumming on this album as well, he accomplishes a lot without going overboard but I kinda wish that Bending Hectic was more intense when it kicks off, but I also understand the production decisions and think they achieved a great sound for this album. It's very cohesive, albeit not as diverse as ALFAA or prior Radiohead albums (KOTL is insanely diverse for an album with the same amount of tracks) but it works.

Already hungry for more from these guys however (glad they're working on so many other tracks already) but after AMSP I can't say I'd prefer Radiohead over this. It would be nice if Radiohead toured again and I do think the band deserves a much better final album than AMSP, but it was so disappointing for me (only liked a few tracks) that it's difficult to favor their return over more from The Smile. My only hope really is that the next Smile album is a bit more diverse, experimental and that they embrace being noisy. I'm sure we'll find out in a couple years.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Framboise posted:

Yeah I'm really not in love with this one. ALFAA was better but still just doesn't captivate me like the stuff that comes from the whole Radiohead team.

Maybe I'm just not in the right headspace for it but this was a really sleepy album. Might like it more if I was inebriated or something lol.

Bending Hectic was the star of the show though. What a pretty song.

I'll have to come back to this one sometime. I didn't like AMSP at ALL when I first heard it, but then I listened to it at a different time in my life and it's my all time favorite album now. So who knows!

I went in the opposite direction with AMSP. At release I had it in my top four-ish which is saying a lot, but after almost eight years I'd probably put it near the bottom. I've not given a full listen to it or TKOL in several years or more at this point. I don't think it's helped that I've kind of burned myself out from listening to them all so much.

My first reaction was that ALFAA is better and I might still stand by that when I look at it as a whole. I think that there are at least a couple really fantastic tracks on Wall of Eyes, but ALFAA was just a bit more fun and felt a little more cohesive stylistically. That said, I think both Smile albums are probably well down the tier list of all Radiohead and Thom projects combined. It's all still good music, don't get me wrong, but it could just be the general sound that I'm worn out on.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

yeah ive always been into noisy/wrong note music and i am even more so at the moment, so i would love to hear some more unique sounds coming from them in the future instead of sleepy music

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm so confused about all the descriptions of this album as "sleepy", or any Radiohead music for that matter. Read The Room is sleepy music?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
It’s good but it feels like there’s no concept behind it. Like they were just riffing out a bunch of songs and since they had enough that fit together for over 40 minutes it was time to release an album.

I think these songs are pretty dang strong though. They sound great, they build up great, and there’s a looseness to it that’s very alluring. Like watching smoke transform in an alleyway.

I hate that loving cover though. You couldnt figure out a better text placement?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 27, 2024