Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgfj2fM-omU

The Smile is about to take the stage on the Pitchfork Fest livestream, if anyone's available to watch. I would've posted about it earlier but I just found out myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess Thom's son Noah makes music now? It kinda bums me out that he's doing a bad impression of his own dad. Go find your own lane, kid :(

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
wait what?

*listens*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjAiHuEHq0

Actually, I think it's a decent impersonation of his dad. But yeah, a LOT like his dad. But y'know, early in his career. Let him figure things out.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This one is even more uncanny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAfwUpCBEcI

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That last one sounds very much like I Will / Spinning Plates, though I don't actually think his voice sounds too much like Thom's. Ironically I think he sounds more like Chris Martin, especially in the first linked track.

edit: I also hear some early Steve Winwood e.g.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLK3dPPryiw

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 1, 2023

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Jewmanji posted:

I guess Thom's son Noah makes music now? It kinda bums me out that he's doing a bad impression of his own dad. Go find your own lane, kid :(

I had no idea his son was 22 holy poo poo my perception of time is hosed :stare:

Regardless, those two songs are quite frankly beautiful imo and for him to be making music like that so young is incredibly promising and exciting and it doesn't sound like a bad impression of his father to me. He's obviously very talented and has either self-taught while inspired by his father or via some wizardry Thom himself has somehow found time out from being a complete workaholic that is constantly touring and recording to teach his son how to sing incredibly well and be a multi-instrumentalist.

I put his name into Google and one of the first results was a Reddit thread highlighting people making GBS threads on him for daring to make music while being Thom's son and being a nepo baby and he comes across as a nice person, very humble and seemed to just want to put some music out and now feels the need to clarify that he'll always create but isn't trying to start a career. It's pretty sad to read, tbh.

Frustrations with nepotism are valid of course because it leads to so much bullshit that's harmful to society but this is just a young guy, barely out of his teens, making what I think is some great music that I'm glad I've discovered through this thread and I really hope that all the poo poo he's receiving off people (who even admit that they've had his songs on repeat because hey they're actually good) doesn't deter him from making more. I notice comments are turned off on the videos for those two songs which leaves me to suspect people really have been piling on and I wish people wouldn't be such shits to others when they're causing no harm.

Even if he was very directly ripping off his father, why would any fan of Radiohead/Thom or good music in general complain about that?!

Edit: Also goddammit the thread bump made me think another new Smile track dropped or the new album was officially announced and given a date :argh:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

lmao he even figured out nigel godrich's production style. good on him I'm impressed.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

I had no idea his son was 22 holy poo poo my perception of time is hosed :stare:

Regardless, those two songs are quite frankly beautiful imo and for him to be making music like that so young is incredibly promising and exciting and it doesn't sound like a bad impression of his father to me. He's obviously very talented and has either self-taught while inspired by his father or via some wizardry Thom himself has somehow found time out from being a complete workaholic that is constantly touring and recording to teach his son how to sing incredibly well and be a multi-instrumentalist.

I put his name into Google and one of the first results was a Reddit thread highlighting people making GBS threads on him for daring to make music while being Thom's son and being a nepo baby and he comes across as a nice person, very humble and seemed to just want to put some music out and now feels the need to clarify that he'll always create but isn't trying to start a career. It's pretty sad to read, tbh.

Frustrations with nepotism are valid of course because it leads to so much bullshit that's harmful to society but this is just a young guy, barely out of his teens, making what I think is some great music that I'm glad I've discovered through this thread and I really hope that all the poo poo he's receiving off people (who even admit that they've had his songs on repeat because hey they're actually good) doesn't deter him from making more. I notice comments are turned off on the videos for those two songs which leaves me to suspect people really have been piling on and I wish people wouldn't be such shits to others when they're causing no harm.

Even if he was very directly ripping off his father, why would any fan of Radiohead/Thom or good music in general complain about that?!

Edit: Also goddammit the thread bump made me think another new Smile track dropped or the new album was officially announced and given a date :argh:

Yeah, I'm not making GBS threads on the guy at all, I just worry about it in the Jakob Dylan/Dhani Harrison sense. Just sounds like a potentially fraught road through life, unless you are very comfortable with yourself (for all I know those two guys are as happy as can be).

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

How dare the child of one of the most famous and acclaimed singers of his generation take inspiration from him :argh:

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I was looking up old reviews for At the Drive-In's Relationship of Command and found a) it apparently came out on the same day as Kid A (in the UK at least) and b) the reviewers at The Guardian were not impressed with either of those records.

quote:

Radiohead Kid A
Parlophone
£11.99

It's difficult to believe that Radiohead once made The Bends, a rock record with power-chords, choruses and a Turtlewax production job. Even listeners raised on Krautrock or Ornette Coleman will find Kid A a mystifying experience. Thom Yorke rejects the notion that the disc was designed to be "challenging", but he didn't explain why it sounds like a score composed for an experimental dance troupe. It also fails to sweep away preconceptions about Radiohead, pandering to the worst cliches about their relentless miserabilism. It's an album that comes at you in fragments - the hesitant church organ of Motion Picture Soundtrack tumbling into a pastiche of celestial bliss with choirs and harps, the "overheard" orchestral snatches in The National Anthem prefacing a Mingus-like splurge of jazz anarchy. The lyrics, too, sneak out like cloaked assassins: "I laugh until my head comes off". For sheer awkwardness, it breezes off with the gold medal. Still, it does make OK Computer sound like Abba's Greatest Hits.
Adam Sweeting

And here's the ATDI review for completeness

quote:

At the Drive-In Relationship of Command
Grand Royal
£8.99

It's easy to see why El Paso's At the Drive-In are making a splash on both sides of the Atlantic. They make big punk-metal and model unfeasibly large afros. More intriguingly, they appear to have set themselves the task of grabbing the best elements of MC5, Fugazi and Captain Beefheart and selling them to depressive metalheads whose hearing and hairstyles have been ruined by Slipknot. When they pull it off - particularly on Invalid Litter Dept - the results are bold and exciting. But the Slipknot element lets things down. Produced by 'Knot twiddler Ross Robinson, every chorus has been overly designed to be chanted by alienated young men at festivals in the rain. You can't help wondering what a spectacular band they could be if they hadn't dumbed down.
Dave Simpson

It's mad to see a price next to a review, totally forgot that was a thing.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Check this one out, by Nick Hornby, the guy who wrote High Fidelity and a bunch of forgotten poo poo: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2000/10/30/beyond-the-pale

"Nick Hornby posted:

It comes as something of a relief, then, when you put “Kid A” into the machine and hear the fruity (and beautifully recorded) sound of an electric piano, playing a sweet, churchy intro. “Hey! I can handle experimentalism!” you think, but your confidence is immediately knocked flat by the lyrics of the first song, “Everything in Its Right Place,” which consists mostly of the lines “Yesterday I woke up sucking a lemon” and “There are two colors in my head.” The title track is an inconsequential piece of sci-fi soundscape—five minutes of treated voice and eerie synth noises. “The National Anthem” is an unpleasant free-jazz workout, with a discordant horn section squalling over a studiedly crude bass line. Only once on the album, I think, does Radiohead come close to creating anything that electrifies in the way that great chunks of the previous two albums do: “Idioteque” is a twitchy, hypnotic nursery rhyme that you can imagine twenty-third-century children with two heads and green skin singing in their underground kindergarten. A whole album of that and “Kid A” could have been something—something you wouldn’t want to dig out too often, true, but something strikingly ominous.

The result is that there’s no room for anything approaching conventional pop music, and though the band might want to show us its impressive breadth of taste, it’s hard to understand why we should be any more interested in Radiohead’s version of Charles Mingus than we would be in its versions of Joyce or Fassbinder—many of these influences seem semi-digested, at best, and there is very little on “Kid A” that is remotely memorable.

Radiohead reportedly spent more than a year recording one song that it eventually decided not to include on “Kid A.” The album is morbid proof that this sort of self-indulgence results in a weird kind of anonymity, rather than something distinctive and original. (The CD pamphlet, incidentally, contains a splenetic attack on Tony Blair, who may feel entitled to ask himself how a band that spends a year failing to come up with an album track would have responded to the Kosovo crisis or the floundering Northern Ireland peace process.) Nobody is asking Radiohead not to grow, or change, or do something different. It would be nice, however, if the band’s members recognized that the enormous, occasionally breathtaking gifts they have—for songwriting, and singing, and playing, and connecting, and inspiring—are really nothing to be ashamed of. In fact, they might even come in handy next time around

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
lol what losers

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Imagine saying that about everything in it's right place lol

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I would not suggest Kid A is a flawless album, but by god how do you listen to it and not recognize it as one of the most sincere encapsulations of an artist's psyche splitting in the face of unimaginable fame and success ever recorded

one of the most sincere and beautiful and vulnerable albums ever made and someone can be so dead inside to write it off as "whiny"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I would suggest it is a perfect album, but otherwise yeah I agree totally

But what else would you expect from the guardian or other incurious lib contrarians

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I would not suggest Kid A is a flawless album

We have a heretic amongst us. Apostasy.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
The last song is kind of drippy. Even for them.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
While I recognize Kid A as the masterpiece it is, I confess I don't actually enjoy it all that much compared to some other Radiohead albums. I'm not really sure why, I can't really name anything it does wrong or that I particularly dislike, but it's pretty much dead center if I were to rank the albums in terms of my personal favorites.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's crystallized pain. Amnesiac is similar but it has more verve to it, which makes it a bit more universal and easy to get with

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

While I recognize Kid A as the masterpiece it is, I confess I don't actually enjoy it all that much compared to some other Radiohead albums. I'm not really sure why, I can't really name anything it does wrong or that I particularly dislike, but it's pretty much dead center if I were to rank the albums in terms of my personal favorites.

Yeah same. Like, I recognize that it’s a great piece of work, but it doesn’t really connect with me all that much.

It’s funny because even though Amnesiac is from the exact same sessions, I absolutely connect with it and it shifts between being my favorite or second-favorite Radiohead album.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

It's crystallized pain. Amnesiac is similar but it has more verve to it, which makes it a bit more universal and easy to get with

I think that's a fair way to put it. It's like my relationship with Pan's Labyrinth in that I recognize it as a beautiful piece of art but it also makes me kinda sick in my stomach and I can't always engage with it in the way I can say... In Rainbows, which is melancholy in its own right but not as overwhelming.

It is objectively better art in that sense I realize because it makes me feel more but I'm not always ready to feel that much

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I don't connect with as much since AMSP is intensely gray and despondent as well but it's my favorite of the whole discography.

I think part of it may be how dissociative Kid A feels while AMSP in comparison tears its heart out and throws it on the table for all to see. Kid A feels as if it comes from a perspective of cold disconnection from oneself. AMSP feels vulnerable and dreary compared to Kid A's distance and anhedonia. I guess it's a level of bleak that I just don't relate to as much as I used to.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah. There is a kind of cold and icy grandeur with Kid A, which I actually find somewhat more comforting/comfortable (as you say, it's an extremely dissociative album). It's escape, of a sort. When I was really into it (and in a really bad place in my life) I'd spend hours listening to it and poring over the artwork and, well, disappearing completely into it.

AMSP is just raw, bleeding grief and fear and melancholy and despair. I very rarely listen to that album, it's too much for me. It reminds me too much of the time it came out in.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There are few things I love more than a good song transition, and that's what puts Kid A over the top for me. It couldn't possibly flow better; no tracks should be moved, removed or added. Everything is literally in its right place.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

There are few things I love more than a good song transition, and that's what puts Kid A over the top for me. It couldn't possibly flow better; no tracks should be moved, removed or added. Everything is literally in its right place.

For sure. Kid A is a tightly composed work that is best enjoyed in its entirety for the way it flows from track to track. It does make it a bit more worse for wear when listening to individual songs for that reason though-- like, it feels weird listening to just In Limbo without listening to Optimistic first.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. There is a kind of cold and icy grandeur with Kid A, which I actually find somewhat more comforting/comfortable (as you say, it's an extremely dissociative album). It's escape, of a sort. When I was really into it (and in a really bad place in my life) I'd spend hours listening to it and poring over the artwork and, well, disappearing completely into it.

AMSP is just raw, bleeding grief and fear and melancholy and despair. I very rarely listen to that album, it's too much for me. It reminds me too much of the time it came out in.

I feel you. I didn't actually care much for AMSP when I first listened to it-- then there was a time in my life where I had listened to it on a whim and it struck the right nerve, and it was suddenly like a blanket wrapped around my shoulders and a cup of hot cocoa. Or a drink of whiskey at 2 in the morning in the dim solitude of my office. Different kinds of comfort, but comfort nevertheless.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 12, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AMSP feels like real, actual loss. Whereas stuff like OKC/KID A/HTTT is sorta like… artistic interpretations of the fear of suffering. Like “oooh boy, that’s gonna be bad. Can you imagine it? Aaaah that’s so scary oh no” and AMSP is just “global warming is here, fascism is here, your partner left you and will leave the world soon.” A suffering that you have no choice but to experience and endure. A suffering that humbles you and shows you what’s important, like firing your band except for the guitarist with the orchestra, and hiring a jazz drummer.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was gonna say Ed, Phil, and Colin should start their own band as a joke but no, that would actually own.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

AMSP feels like real, actual loss. Whereas stuff like OKC/KID A/HTTT is sorta like… artistic interpretations of the fear of suffering. Like “oooh boy, that’s gonna be bad. Can you imagine it? Aaaah that’s so scary oh no” and AMSP is just “global warming is here, fascism is here, your partner left you and will leave the world soon.” A suffering that you have no choice but to experience and endure. A suffering that humbles you and shows you what’s important, like firing your band except for the guitarist with the orchestra, and hiring a jazz drummer.

Yeah. AMSP is such an emotionally devastated album in a way that the others don't really convey. The perspective of someone who saw the metaphorical trainwreck and couldn't look away.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Agreed, and I think you drew the line at the right place, since In Rainbows is already distinctly darker than HTTT.

"And I can't face the evening straight" is still a bit of a gut punch.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oddly, I've never really found Radiohead overly depressing like a lot of people do. Maybe I just have a higher threshold for that, or maybe it's just their Britishness? Honestly I couldn't necessarily recite a whole lot of their lyrics even though I know the songs pretty well. Sometimes when I actually read the lyrics I'm surprised because the song seems to be about something totally different than I thought.

There are some clear exceptions though, like Street Spirit, How To Disappear Completely, Daydreaming, True Love Waits. Street Spirit is probably the hardest to listen to for me, for whatever reason. Musically, it feels so hopeless.

Especially the Darkness version :v:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Radiohead's music embodies anxiety way more than depression, but people aren't experts at articulating their mental state in general (especially in the 90s) so it got filed under "depressing". How to Disappear Completely in particular is pure anxiety.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Sir Lemming posted:

Honestly I couldn't necessarily recite a whole lot of their lyrics even though I know the songs pretty well. Sometimes when I actually read the lyrics I'm surprised because the song seems to be about something totally different than I thought.

This is how I am. I always listen to lyrics/singing more as another instrument. I can sing a lot of my favorite songs word for word but if you asked me what any of them were actually about I could rarely tell you. It's particularly pronounced with Radiohead - the lyrics/singing are more of a mood setter to me than something I pay any particular attention to. No idea what Thom is on about in 99% of their songs but I know it sounds cool.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I don’t find the band depressing because the melancholy stuff is spiked with spite and rebellion, Kid A being a good example. Even at his lowest Thom packs a gun and cigarettes; even No Surprises talks about bringing down the government.
AMSP is loving sad though

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://store-usd.thesmiletheband.com/

New The Smile album Wall of Eyes just announced, alongside EU tour.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That’s so far away :(

Gorgeous art though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsqqjOxEuAg

Oh hell yeah, I literally listened to A Light for Attracting Attention and Bending Hectic yesterday not knowing this would get announced. Looking forward to hearing what else these guys cooked up on this album. And it's coming in January, so not too long a wait.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

quote:

Tracklist:

Wall Of Eyes
Teleharmonic
Read The Room
Under Our Pillows
Friend Of A Friend
I Quit
Bending Hectic
You Know Me!

So Bending Hectic made it onto the album after all. Some songs they've been performing live didn't make the cut as well, wonder what their fate will be? I did read that apparently Radiohead will be getting together near the end of the year, but apparently just to plan HTTT reissue.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Any long lost Radiohead demos in that? I’m not as up on my Thom song lore as I used to be

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Wall of Eyes, or at the very least some of the lyrics, dates back to The King of Limbs, since some early fragments of it were included in the promotional newspaper they released at the time to promote TKOL, including the big graphic in the center featuring the text "Let us raise our glasses to what we don't deserve".

There was also a fan rumour (some might say delusion) that an EP called "Wall of Ice" was going to come out after King of Limbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Wall of Ice was pre-TKOL, people thought it would be an EP with Twisted Words/Harry Patch