Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I would like a Bond film that would fit to that tune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The King of Limbs is really cool yet somewhat dull. I really like the little quiet details that hangs in the lows. The talking you'll hear in the background during Separator, the vocoder in Codex (or Codex's "climax" in general, which feels like this very soft exhale), the white noise that changes in between Codex and Give Up the Ghost. How Lotus Flower begins with this thick hum while the rest of the song's elements begin very quietly but grow louder.

And there's some great sonic textures. The drumming in Lotus Flower is really fantastic, it has this stiff yet rubbery quality to it. I love how Little By Little sounds, the simple guitar playing paired up with all this acoustic noise that takes up all this space, and how little breathing room there is until the bridge. Codex and Give Up The Ghost are very bare, simple songs, but the touches with Codex very watery gliding piano and Give Up The Ghost's distorted vocal backings are impactful as all heck.

I think Thom Yorke was tired of how Radiohead songs would traditionally climax or break down. So he tried to write songs that did so in ways that were more subtle.

but the album is still pretty dull and hard to keep in a constant rotation

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

a giant dildo dies

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Little By Little's sound is great. All those acoustic sounds that fill up the space left behind by the low tempo guitars. Great!

It's only downside is that you got to listen to Mr. Magpie before it!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

this is Thom Yorke's alternate tracklist for hail to the thief

there there
the gloaming
sail to the moon
sit down. stand up
go to sleep
whereiendandubegin
scatterbrain
2+2=5
myxomatosis
a wolf at the door

it works much better imo

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I hate the synths in Where I End and You Begin.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

"Hey this song sounds promising let's drown it out in what sounds like a robot whale getting buttfucked."

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Definitely feels like a more evolved King of Limbs song.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The minimal techo is in there. The song is essentially a whole bunch of violins playing on a sparse electro beat.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The cover art for the single is real good.

From this and the tour poster, I'm guessing the visual aesthetic is going to be black and white, but with lots of textures. Fits the single nicely!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

At least 15 minutes of In Rainbows are interminable. The rest is fantastic.

You use to be alright. What happened?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Popcorn posted:

Spent the whole song becoming increasingly anxious that the drums were never going to turn up.

ditto, my gut turned sour. it actually turned sour

approved

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8zqEw1hyk

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Thom Yorke crawling inside a cave and laying down in the snow is the saddest imagery.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

all I want is A Moon Shaped Pool upon release

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Outside of a few tracks it's a very, very gentle album. Like a pleasant stream.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

This is the closest Radiohead has gotten to adult contemporary .

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 8, 2016

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

ful stop kinda sounds like a dean blunt song

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Also, for some reason my phone is autocorrecting Ed to Arf and now I'm imagining an adorable version of Radiohead made up of dogs :3:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Louisgod posted:

I never realized that True Love Waits was a jigsaw piece made years ago for a puzzle that hadn't been created yet. It's the perfect corner piece that completes a gorgeous picture.

Yeah, agreed. Talk about tragic irony.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

A song title like “Glass Eyes” hints at many of the band’s longstanding morbid preoccupations—the semblance of humanity in something cold and dead, or the violation of the biological body by foreign objects— but the song is a bloodflow of strings straight into the heart. “Hey it’s me, I just got off the train,” Yorke sings, and it’s a strikingly ordinary image: The Paranoid Android himself, picking up the phone and calling someone to tell them he’s just arrived. “I feel this love turn cold,” he confesses as the ballad draws to a close, the phrasing an echo, subconscious or not, of his Kid A sign-off “I’ll see you in the next life.” A throbbing cello appears like a lump in the throat; the song fades away.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

“I’m not living/I’m just killing time,” the 47-year-old admits. You can write a line like that and set it to music; you can perform it for years in front of adoring millions; you can carry the idea around in your heart and mind. But it might take a lifetime for it to strike, as it does here, with a newfound power. The truth, as always, lies in plain sight, right there in the kicking and the squealing, the panic and the vomit. Some truths just take longer to see than others.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

kalensc posted:

In Rainbows contends for best Radiohead album for me, but I've never ever understood the love for House of Cards. There needed to be a "breather" between Reckoner and Jigsaw for sure so it's a fine track within the album, but I do not get the praise people give it as a stand-alone song.

Can someone who really likes the song share why they dig it so much? I'd be curious to listen to it again with a different perspective on it.

It's a beautiful, gorgeous song and I love Thom's singing in it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Thom Yorke seemed pretty blatant in saying that they didn't really swing for the fences on TKOL. It's hard to imagine anything about that album being perfect other than it's sonic textures.

Also my consensus on this album is that it's pretty good! If there's any complaint it's that the final two songs are pretty weak: Tinker Tailor feels like yet another slow song on an album filled with them and the album's rendition of True Love Waits does nothing for me.

But other than that way to go Radiohead you made another good album that has it's own sonic identity.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 13, 2016

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

From Deck Darks onward the album has an airy tone to itself that you don't really hear in Burn the Witch and Daydreaming.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

it's not a moon-shaped pool

it's a moon shaped pool

as in it's a pool that's shaped by the moon

as in it's the ocean

this album is probably more about global warming than Thom Yorke's separation, looking back in hindsight. afterall, the separation occurred back in august 2015 while a whole lot of these songs debuted before. like sure, you don't have a loving relationship and then suddenly you end it but a large chunk of these songs are from 2009~2012, and a couple even before that.

also Popcorn I gotta agree. the songs themselves aren't that bad but they sound simultaneously anemic yet overproduced. really frail and skeletal sounding peformances that then have these orchestra strings and godrich-isms draped over them.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 4, 2016

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

the guitar in identikit ruins the song

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

really feeling AMSP now that we're living in a nightmare hellworld

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AARO posted:

Some very lovely quality leaks of Man O War and Lift are going around.

Both songs are quite disappointing. They sound exactly like live version with little innovation in the studio outside of some synth strings. Overall I'd give all 3 previously unreleased songs 6/10 or so. Really actually hoping these are really well done fakes.

Actually, there is a guy who use to create "studio" versions of unreleased songs such as Follow Me Around, Morning Mr. Magpie, and Big Boots. And he use to do it by taking live versions of the songs and overlaying his own instrumentation so... Maybe they're just his?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Mouse Cadet posted:

How does the remastered album sound?

I honestly can't tell the difference.

Maybe How I Made My Millions is cleaner?'

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

All three of those songs seem cheesy as hell.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ballz posted:

They were recording it for a movie soundtrack, it would've been fine there.

For 1998 bomb The Avengers, of all movies.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Man Of War sounds like The Bends era Radiohead trying to do "Live and Let Die."

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 26, 2017

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

is this becoming a meme now or what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xH7qtlC38AM

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This is lame and bad.

have another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_p1D90zdz8

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

HD DAD posted:

This is a good thing

have another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIEzcSMItlA

they're all made in the past week with 13kish views and they're bombarding my recommendations so somethings up

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Faust arp -> Reckoner -> House of Cards

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Oooh my god my funky cloak lmao

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

back in some pub in 1986, thom was really close to breaking up On A Friday until some time traveler from the future appeared before him, to take him ten years into the future to show what he'll be one day. upon traveling to 1996, they accidentally knock out modern day thom and he had to take his place for a couple hours while the band practiced for their upcoming album

that the only way I can imagine how "my funky cloak" got made

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jun 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

what if i am a very rude person?