Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The production in In Rainbows really bothers me, it feels like they sucked all the air out of the sound (except for Reckoner and House of Cards, which are my favorite tracks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

On Jigsaw Falling Into Place there’s a buildup and during it the sound of the fingers sliding on the guitar string seem to have more travel than the guitar itself and I hate it. It’s so gross.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Reckoner was the last time a song gave me chills. I still remember going into that song expecting to hear the "Pulled Apart By Horses" version but instead being treated to that. It's like having a good cry in a warm rainstorm.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 16, 2019

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

finally, a place worth publicly masturbating in

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 21, 2020

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AMSP sounded like it was recorded remotely. I’m surprised it wasn’t, actually.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

TBH as a dumb 14-year-old, that review got me really pumped up for Kid A.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I'm listening to AMSP again for the first time in years and... Yeah, the quality of the album drops hard after the 2nd song, but it feels like I need to write something longer than this post to explain why. I guess overall there's just this anemic, passionless quality to it. It's like instead of the typical Radiohead fashion of wailing against the horrors of the world, this album started taking SSRIs and shrugged.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 21, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

good takes folks, I see your points on amsp. I think portishead’s third is better with that whole sound of being defeated by despair.

I think the strings on the album (after the first song) is kinda contradictory to the whole vibe. like they’re trying to tell you how sad and dramatic everything is, and the rest of the sound of the album feels sorta… detached from them. I guess that’s another aspect of the album, a lot of elements feel awkward and detached from one another. like they’re off in their own little eco system. It’s like looking at a petri dish of different organisms.

like that guitar in identikit, it’s so awkward and feels so entirely separate from the rest of the song.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

hughesta posted:

chiming in to say that Third is one of the greatest albums ever recorded

It is. It’s an incredible album. I’m not even that big of a fan of their other records. one of the most powerful and bleakest endings I’ve ever heard.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

remember that one guy in the 2000s that did full band renditions of follow me around and good morning mr magpie?

shout out to him, good stuff

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Here’s the fan creation I spoke about

https://youtu.be/jlnvbarG4g4

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AMSP is a pretty good album to end on, in regards of all that was said about it earlier. Very “Post”. They can continue to kick back and work on these 20 year rereleases.

I hope they rerelease HTTT and go wild with it. Bring in Stanley to remaster and reproduce it, and revise the track list.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 3, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It feels like studio leftovers that they touched up a bit to flow together with a bit nice. I like it for what it is. Ending with just the string section from HTDC feels a little lazy though, lol.

It would've been better if they took Follow Me Around and If You Say the Word and put them alongside the Amnesiac B-Sides (why aren't they here?), and then do another disc that's just those studio sessions and leftovers that are sequenced and mixed nicely. Like a curated version of the OKC Minidiscs.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 5, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

You know what the second half of the third disc reminds me of? Pink Floyd’s The River.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I don’t think the production qualities of the two albums match. One is pristine, grand, and futuristic. It’s sound is either bright to the point of nearing blindness, or pitch dark. The other is intimate and (relatively) restrained while remaining creative and colorful.

I would say AMSP is more of a sister album. The same spirit weary of the hellworld OK Computer foretold, just more defeated.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 13, 2021

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It is, it’s so simplistically gorgeous. I like it when Thom goes “oh heck it” and just sings nicely

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Not what I expected! Nice.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The guitar syncing with the vocals gives me a very King Gizzard vibe.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

he’s got the thomicron

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It does sorta feel like an emotional conclusion to their whole work.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

in rainbows disc 3

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It’s good but it’s also one of those annoying side releases where for the most part it’s just a weaker iteration of what the full band does. Even if it’s means it’s a B compared to an A-.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

i think this was just their covid project

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Man, when I first listened to In Rainbows and Reckoner came on, and I was expecting that song instead of one of the greatest Radiohead songs ever.

I’d say “That song is good, don’t get it twisted” but eh, I find a lot of the material they were drafting during that period after HTTT and before they went back into the Studio to do In Rainbows to be very corny.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 28, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Dang the SA app just ate my post but I’m going to say that In Rainbows is a series of S tier songs but I’d say the production is pretty mid. It has an airless quality to a lot of the songs (something shared by quite a bit of indie rock at the time) that I’m not a fan of. It’s a nitpicky preference but I’d put the production above Pablo Honey and HTTT but under everything else.

Edit: btw I think that AMSP might have the second best production? I can’t seriously put it above OKC, since that album is absolutely and undeniably immaculate in its sound, but ASMP’s sound does capture so many aspects of grief in a way that few albums have. And more specially it captures the confusion of grief better than anything else I’ve listened to (except for maybe “ill try living like this” by dds, but ASMP is definitely less janky sounding than that album, lol.)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 29, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

lol the video covers the 2006 version of videotape

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

gently caress yeah

The last album was so, so good, my favourite non-Radiohead thing he's ever done, I think

Not a high bar lol.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Thom Yorke’s solo and side projects, up until Anima, are pretty self indulgent releases. Excuses to tinker with beatmaking and minimal techno, but they feel like releases strictly for the fans (although Eraser does have a few standouts.)

After AMSP he has treated his solo efforts and side projects like they’re his main focus now, which is cool. Anima is a good album, it is still very much minimal techno but you can tell he put more work into the “texture” of the album.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 24, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Volte posted:

I don't think it's discount Radiohead or anything like it. The only time Radiohead ever really strayed in that direction were a few tracks on Hail to the Thief and Com Lag.
King of Limbs is the culmination of Thom Yorke’s beatmaking. Slicing up and looping his bandmate’s playing to create awkward and tense polyrhythms.

Some really cool songs (some annoying loops though, like the drum loop in “Bloom”) but somehow that album is less than the sum of its parts. Wish they let that project cook a while longer. The “In The Basement” version feels like the kid who turned in his final draft too late, so he was graded on his first draft.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 24, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

https://youtu.be/0QXcO94xu3Q

gotta admit, I lol’d a bit

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

That last discussion got me to go back and listen to Thom Yorke’s discography, KOTL, and The Smile and I kiiiiiinda think The Smile is Thom Yorke’s new band. Or in other words: he fired everybody but Johnny and got a drummer that can organically create the wonky drum patterns he’s been obsessed with. And now he has a band that’s tailored to making the music he’s been trying to write (for twenty years now) without needing a MacBook, and without the baggage of being a legacy act.

Framboise posted:

I spent 9 minutes waiting for them to put AMSP in S tier but they never even got to it :smith:
I’m going to be honest I did think about this in bed last night.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

When I got into Radiohead, the software application Kazaa is all had. I had to download each song individually, typing in each song name on the tracklist I found on atease.

So I built Pablo Honey unknowingly with the acoustic version of Creep and thought that was the official version of the song for years. I was confused why it was so popular.

Also I did this with a remix of “Climbing Up The Walls” on OK Computer.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

A double LP version of HTTT that is the thom tracklist for disc one and then the album songs not on the tracklist + b-sides for disc two

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

New big rear end The Smile single just dropped. 8 minutes!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBtJ9_zTqdE

Press release says it's a loosie and won't be a part of any album. So uh, pair it with that Creep remix or whatever, lol.

Honestly, the song... Is good. Best Smile song, maybe even as good as a s-tier Radiohead track.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 20, 2023

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

wait what?

*listens*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjAiHuEHq0

Actually, I think it's a decent impersonation of his dad. But yeah, a LOT like his dad. But y'know, early in his career. Let him figure things out.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

lmao he even figured out nigel godrich's production style. good on him I'm impressed.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

AMSP feels like real, actual loss. Whereas stuff like OKC/KID A/HTTT is sorta like… artistic interpretations of the fear of suffering. Like “oooh boy, that’s gonna be bad. Can you imagine it? Aaaah that’s so scary oh no” and AMSP is just “global warming is here, fascism is here, your partner left you and will leave the world soon.” A suffering that you have no choice but to experience and endure. A suffering that humbles you and shows you what’s important, like firing your band except for the guitarist with the orchestra, and hiring a jazz drummer.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

hmm wall of eyes is also eight songs long…

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The Modern Leper posted:

"If you think this is over, then you're wrong"

I mean, they weren’t lying. Afterwards they released four singles, a live album, and a remix album. That album had a pretty long tail of related releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

It’s good but it feels like there’s no concept behind it. Like they were just riffing out a bunch of songs and since they had enough that fit together for over 40 minutes it was time to release an album.

I think these songs are pretty dang strong though. They sound great, they build up great, and there’s a looseness to it that’s very alluring. Like watching smoke transform in an alleyway.

I hate that loving cover though. You couldnt figure out a better text placement?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 27, 2024