Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I would suggest it is a perfect album, but otherwise yeah I agree totally

But what else would you expect from the guardian or other incurious lib contrarians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's crystallized pain. Amnesiac is similar but it has more verve to it, which makes it a bit more universal and easy to get with

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah. There is a kind of cold and icy grandeur with Kid A, which I actually find somewhat more comforting/comfortable (as you say, it's an extremely dissociative album). It's escape, of a sort. When I was really into it (and in a really bad place in my life) I'd spend hours listening to it and poring over the artwork and, well, disappearing completely into it.

AMSP is just raw, bleeding grief and fear and melancholy and despair. I very rarely listen to that album, it's too much for me. It reminds me too much of the time it came out in.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Kid A and Amnesiac are like ying and yang, one might have a preference but neither can be properly thought of as 'better', at least imo

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man I'm just obsessed with Teleharmonic. Those synths give me the shivers (good style)

Otherwise, gonna take a few listens. The album as a whole feels very of a piece - similar tempos, similar vibes the whole way through

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

:yeah: :smith:

I've only listened once, but it felt kinda sleepy. I'll give it another shot, but my first impression was that I wasn't wowed by it.

It is sleepy, that's a good way to put it

In fact it might be the sleepiest thing Thom has ever put out

Even more than AMSP

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Oh well. I'll always have ALFAA.

That album is such an all timer, goddamn

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I do feel like the whole Radiohead gang is it's own particular magic, and ultimately think I'll always love it best.

It's just different without the Phil + Colin rhythms or the Ed sounds and vox

And that's being too reductive, because it's not as simple as 'Ed does the whooshy noises' or whatever, it's a genuine Energy they have together

When Thom and Johnny are situated in the Radiohead context they're making music with people they've known and played with since they were kids, and they just fit together, and it's audible

I'll never begrudge anyone of them doing whatever they want for however long they want, because they're artists and they should do exactly what they feel

But it's been a long time since we've had some Radiohead, and I miss it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Daydreaming is enough on its own to make AMSP a great album

And there are other excellent tracks on there too

But Daydreaming, goddamn