Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mods, to be fair, Wrestlemania 32 really did feel like a drug trip at times. Sad to see the toll it's taken on this poster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm really liking this. Strikes a better balance between rock energy and painstaking studio craft than most of what they've been doing for a decade or so. (Not that I've been down on any of it; this is just better.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The strings do change at the panic attack line, and the style gets denser at the end, the bass changes, in an intelligent way

Gotta listen on a system with good bass for sure. Otherwise it's just A String Quartet Tribute To Radiohead.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"I don't get it, are they FOR the Salem witch trials?"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can very easily picture Burn The Witch being converted to a standard drum/bass/guitar arrangement. Or they could do something more complex. There's a lot to work with there, depending on the type of venue and show they want to do.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Lame that the 24-bit WAVs only come with the digital-only option. Seems really arbitrary. Not that I can necessarily tell the difference, but it bugs me enough to possibly deter me from the vinyl option...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Until listening with headphones, I didn't realize the weird noises at the end of "Daydreaming" are both a weird backwards voice AND a string section. At least I think they are. Crazy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CaptainYesterday posted:

I only care about Pitchfork's written reviews for Radiohead and Kanye West, because they ramp up the pretension for them.

Back in the day, either they were a hell of a lot worse, or there were just one or two guys consistently writing abysmally pretentious reviews. (I think one of them, possibly the writer of the Kid A review, was named Brent DiCrescenzo. I remember because his review of Beastie Boys' "To The Five Boroughs" mostly consisted of him announcing his retirement.)

These days, they're mostly pretty decent, but the Kanye and Radiohead reviews are kind of a throwback...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For reference: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6656-kid-a/

quote:

The butterscotch lamps along the walls of the tight city square bled upward into the cobalt sky, which seemed as strikingly artificial and perfect as a wizard's cap. The staccato piano chords ascended repeatedly. "Black eyed angels swam at me," Yorke sang like his dying words. "There was nothing to fear, nothing to hide." The trained critical part of me marked the similarity to Coltrane's "Ole." The human part of me wept in awe.

edit: Just realized that whole stupid paragraph is about a song that isn't even on the freaking album he's reviewing, haha

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 12, 2016

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I like House Of Cards because it's a very pretty song (despite the subject matter). Maybe even a nice song to play at the beach! Which probably also means it doesn't belong on a Radiohead album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's the subject matter of house of Cards?

An extramarital affair, I assume.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

olin posted:

No no no no no.

(A Punchup At A Wedding)

I abhor overwrought string production, and IMO this ain't it. In fact my immediate impression was that there's a lot of sonic breathing room on this album. Quite pleasant to listen to (despite the harsh feeling of the music).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's the second half of The King Of Limbs, obviously

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
They're still way ahead of Nine Inch Nails; we NIN fans are still waiting for the vinyls we ordered in December.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In a bit of dramatic irony, Radiohead are suing Lana Del Rey because the verse of her song "Get Free" uses a similar chord structure to that of "Creep".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzP4kQhlPBY

I do see their point, but it's an interesting glass house from which to throw rocks...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Warner records has given their side of the story, which is that there's discussion going on about how to credit Radiohead on the song, but no actual lawsuit yet and no "100%" clause.

https://pitchfork.com/news/radiohead-havent-sued-lana-del-rey-publishers-say/

quote:

As Radiohead’s music publisher, it’s true that we’ve been in discussions since August of last year with Lana Del Rey’s representatives. It’s clear that the verses of “Get Free” use musical elements found in the verses of “Creep” and we’ve requested that this be acknowledged in favour of all writers of “Creep.” To set the record straight, no lawsuit has been issued and Radiohead have not said they “will only accept 100%” of the publishing of “Get Free.”

So maybe she just misunderstood the exact legal nature of what's happening. Or there's been an informal legal threat that is technically not a lawsuit. We'll see.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah exactly, right now Radiohead is the one entity whose opinion we really have no idea of in this thing. It's probably getting blown out of proportion, though that in itself could be a marketing move...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Edward Mass posted:

I just used BitTorrent like Thom intended.

You solved the riddle -- torrents are in fact "tomorrow's modern boxes".

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

A human heart posted:

Were you really expecting something interesting to happen in the radiohead thread

Well these days a flood of new posts immediately makes me think suicide or sex monster stuff

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think time has been kind to TKOL. It was hard to overcome the initial feeling of "That's it?" when it came out and was only 8 tracks. They just had to wait for Kanye to do it first I guess. Now short albums are cool again. (Well, maybe. Kanye isn't cool anymore.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Volte posted:

To compare, In Rainbows has six songs out of ten with orchestration: Nude, All I Need, Faust Arp, Reckoner, House of Cards, Jigsaw Falling Into Place. And let's not forget that Weird Fishes was debuted as an orchestral number as well.

To be fair though, you can easily miss the orchestral parts in All I Need and House of Cards. They basically just fatten up the mix a little, they're not featured. And something like Jigsaw, which does have an obvious orchestral part, also has a lot of other stuff going on too, much more of what is typically considered a "classic" Radiohead sound, whereas The Numbers... not so much. It's more like 5 of the 11 songs are Faust Arp.

I'm not criticizing AMSP for it, personally. Just saying.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I'm totally fine with the tracklist being alphabetical (especially as that accommodates the bonus tracks perfectly), but the irrational part of me thinks the album would've worked perfectly if Ful Stop and Burn The Witch switched places.

I like to do that as well as switching Identikit and The Numbers. I like the one-two punch of Glass Eyes and The Numbers as a resting spot between the more upbeat Burn The Witch and Identikit.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 14, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think "lush" is the word we're looking for. AMSP definitely has the most lush orchestration on any Radiohead album.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I wish I could listen to 15 Step for the first time ever after reading these descriptions of it. It would be some pretty good whiplash.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

speaking as someone who's been a fan of both RH and thom's solo work for over a decade now, i saw thom's live show like a month ago and iiiiii did not love it. the music itself is good but man is it not fun to watch being performed. you get thom doing his dances along with two guys (one of whom specializes in basically doing a dynamic version of the old windows media player visualizer) who stand at tables and don't move the whole time.

plus their tables were silver so it just kinda looked like a few guys loving around in an apple store

This makes me feel so old, but despite how much I'm on board with unconventional / electronic / auteur music, I still can't really figure out how anyone will ever make it just as exciting as live instruments in a concert setting. #changemymind

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Trent Reznor-produced Saul Williams "Niggy Tardust" album was 100% pay-what-you-want and came out really close to the same time as In Rainbows. But it didn't really do what they hoped, so Reznor was slightly less generous when it was time for him to try it on his own music, haha. Ghosts had 9 free tracks and 27 behind the paywall, although it was still really cheap, like 5 bucks, plus higher tiered options. And probably more significantly, it was licensed under Creative Commons, so for all intents and purposes it was basically free.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

stev posted:

Hopefully in a few weeks a new album gets slapped onto the library without any fanfare.

In fact if that doesn't happen I'll be shaking with rage.

I'm quite certain they'll upload The Queen Of Limbs and A Moon Shaped Pool (Correct Track Order Version) any day now

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Kid A is one of the all-time greatest feats of track sequencing on an album. I'm not saying Amnesiac is poorly sequenced or anything, but Kid A is peak.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The biggest value of music theory seems to be music appreciation. Especially of a genre you don't normally like. It can help you see the value in it. But that is only tangentially related to being able to create it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

SUNKOS posted:

'These Are My Twisted Words' is also a really good and underrated track as well, reminds me of 'Silence' off Third.

Oh man, I forgot all about this one. I remember liking it a lot. Kind of a precursor to King of Limbs in retrospect.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

hallo spacedog posted:

drat I can't believe I walked right past that one.

I mean how can you when it's following you around

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Regardless of anything else about Twilight, they were able to wrangle some pretty top-tier soundtrack contributions.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not sure who cares, but Pitchfork loves it.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-smile-a-light-for-attracting-attention/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Smile : Radiohead :: Them Crooked Vultures: Queens Of The Stone Age

I don't mean to gloss over the fact that there are actually a lot of personnel differences, but simply judging by the way the record sounds, this feels very much like a Radiohead record unburdened by the idea that they have to constantly innovate and top themselves.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Framboise posted:

I want to say that this is easily album of the year, but Kendrick just dropped an album and I haven't listened to that yet.

Already listened to both, and I'd say this album probably has nothing to worry about.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I've pretty much just accepted that the only concerts I'm ever going to again will be if I win tickets for free, it's an unknown band, or it's part of some event where a bunch of other stuff is also happening.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah really, these days, when a successful band is basically by definition not contractually obligated to a certain # of albums -- if a band "calls it quits" due to anything less than a personal falling out, it's basically just marketing. There's no other reason to try to put a definitive cap on things. Unless I guess one of the core members is truly deciding to quit music entirely.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm in favor of bands/artists not officially "retiring" until they either die or just make a huge life change and truly don't want to do music anymore. Most musicians never really stop being musicians. No need to artificially end something you enjoy just so you can "go out on top" or whatever. (That certainly applies to TV shows, but not just like... being an artist.)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

HD DAD posted:

Depeche Mode says hi.

(Memento Mori is actually pretty decent, fwiw)

Booooo, they only put out like 2 albums a decade and they've all been good or better!

Obviously there will always be those sad examples, like actors who keep being in terrible movies to pay off gambling debts. But I still prefer "just going away for a while and will be back if we feel like it" to a pointless "retirement" (which is usually just a marketing ploy that doesn't stick anyway)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
There are few things I love more than a good song transition, and that's what puts Kid A over the top for me. It couldn't possibly flow better; no tracks should be moved, removed or added. Everything is literally in its right place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Oddly, I've never really found Radiohead overly depressing like a lot of people do. Maybe I just have a higher threshold for that, or maybe it's just their Britishness? Honestly I couldn't necessarily recite a whole lot of their lyrics even though I know the songs pretty well. Sometimes when I actually read the lyrics I'm surprised because the song seems to be about something totally different than I thought.

There are some clear exceptions though, like Street Spirit, How To Disappear Completely, Daydreaming, True Love Waits. Street Spirit is probably the hardest to listen to for me, for whatever reason. Musically, it feels so hopeless.

Especially the Darkness version :v: