Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Princeps32 posted:

Packt like Sardines from the 2001 tour was worse than the album version, the fuzz bass didn't work as well. They dropped that from set lists pretty quick

I actually adore the live version of Packt. So much so I kinda wish the album version was a bit more like it. :colbert:

(According to CI, they played it once more in 2012.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I adore TKOL, but including The Butcher on it would have shot it into the stratosphere. No clue where it would go on the tracklist, though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really, really like Identikit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I Can't has a really catchy chorus, as does Anyone Can Play Guitar.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Probably putting more anime stickers on his guitar.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Can we take a second to recognize that Bangers & Mash rocks the gently caress out? It's reminds me a lot of Crosseyed and Painless, which is always a good thing.

That drop A riff is amazingly nasty.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

This is also absolutely true, although I'd keep The Gloaming and get rid of A Punchup At A Wedding.

I love the dark fairytale vibe of the Hail to the Thief era (also including related stuff like The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time).

Honestly, I'd rather them having waited a bit until they realized to put in that sweet bassline Colin plays in the live version of The Gloaming.

Shove We Suck and I Will into b-side territory.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I suspect that they're getting to that stage where they want to spend more time at home with their families, and they're just doing Radiohead stuff when they get around to it. That could explain the limited tour and long gap since TKOL. And they've earned it.

Might try and make it to the NYC show.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Whenever I buy a new album I immediately throw it in the garbage

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

little by little, homie. by hook or by crook

Little by Little is one of the catchiest things they've done in years. Though, my brain absolutely refuses to parse the syncopation in the studio version. The live version threw me for a loop initially when I realized where the "one" beat actually fell.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
But it's an awesome bass doodle.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mutant Standard posted:

I hate the synths in Where I End and You Begin.

Watch, but not take part.

In posting.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The only thing that would have made Amnesiac even better would have been replacing Pulk with Amazing Sounds of Orgy. And I like Pulk.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Popcorn posted:

People who ordered stuff from Radiohead are receiving these menacing little postcards today.

If Radiohead want another release gimmick, cold-mailing the new album to previous WASTE customers would be hilarious.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I can already hear Ful Stop in studio quality with pizzicato strings plucking away the main riff. I need it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If and when Radiohead plays their last ever show, I want them to come back on for one final encore:

"Oh no, pop is dead, long live pop..."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Oh gently caress, there's a good surprise in there if it's legit.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What a wonderful album. That's all I really have to say.

One thing, and this is not a slight against the album. If you replaced Thom with Matt Berninger and called this the new The National album, I would have believed you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The verse melody for Identikit really reminds me of...something from the 90s. And it's driving me crazy trying to remember what.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Decades posted:

Ed on the other hand, I tend to have a hard time guessing what he might be doing on the studio recordings. I mostly think of him as the general auxiliary guy / eye candy. I feel like I remember reading a long time ago that he had written one of the band's most iconic lead guitar lines though. I wanna say Street Spirit?

Ed is the atmosphere man, nowadays. Early on, he was more of the rhythm guitarist, but now any sort of spacey, whooshy, reverby texture you hear is usually Ed and his freakishly impressive pedal board.

That awesome synth/organ sound at the climax of 15 Step? Ed cutting up and processing his guitar, and playing it back as programmed samples. That's what he's prepping when he's kinda off in the corner during the first half of the song live. Super, super talented.

And yep, he's responsible for Street Spirit, Meeting In The Aisle, Big Boots, and I think Go To Sleep. Probably more, but who knows.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Anyone can play guitar and I Can't are catchy as gently caress, and Blow Out is legit good.

Not a masterpiece, but Pablo is fun pop when the mood strikes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Louisgod posted:

Will we find out what the busy tracks are come June with the physical release? Johnny insinuated that Lift may be one.

If you look at the promo photo of the special edition, you can just barely make out Spectre and something called N Wind on the bonus disc.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Funny how opinions vary wildly; I vastly prefer the first half of TKOL to the lightweight last half (minus Lotus Flower, which is fantastic). It speaks to the Talking Heads fan in me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Electioneering is an album highlight. Also, I sometimes wish OKC ended with No Surprises, as much as I love the last two tracks.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

triple sulk posted:

I really like the actual art.

If AMSP gets its Amnesiac almost immediately, I'm gonna lose my poo poo

It's just gonna be Spectre repeated over and over, except lowering slightly in pitch with each iteration, until the disc ends with an almost inaudible rumbling noise.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
No joke Amnesiac sounds wonderful on vinyl, and HTTT sounds hilariously better as well. The CD master for that one was not that great.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I'm actually still not entirely sure how the In Rainbows art was done. I know it's wax and ink, but there's a step I'm missing somewhere, because it's goddamn gorgeous.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Listening to live stream of Amsterdam show. No strings. Burn the Witch sounded massive, if slightly shaky.

E: I think they're playing the album in order?

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 20, 2016

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Magpie live is awesome as hell

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ful Stop rocked a lot harder, and Thom played his handheld keyboard. Lotus Flower seemed a lot more focused than usual, too.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think since because it was the newest Radiohead for a while, its polarizing response left a lot of fans unsure where the band was going. Since AMSP came out, I think people are now seeing it in a new perspective, and where it fits in the discography.

I also listened to TKOL after marathoning the new album a few times, and even if I was a fan of it before, I think I love it even more. It's the loveable oddball of their work.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Little by Little is one of my favorites off of TKOL, but can anyone actually hear the syncopation in the studio version? My brain absolutely refuses.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Anaranjado posted:

My favorite member of the band is Ed.

Ed is the goddamn champion of wobbly weird noises.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
gently caress it.

T1:
Amnesiac
A Moon Shaped Pool
The King of Limbs

T2:
Kid A
Ok Computer
In Rainbows

T3:
Hail to the Thief
The Bends
Pablo Honey

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It was a pro-recording of one of their recent London gigs, followed by playlists of favorite artists from Ed, Thom, and Colin.

e; fb

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I get the feeling we might get kinda that with the demo cassette coming with the OKNOTOK box. The version that got warped into Pulk/Pull could be on there.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If you have good headphones, you can definitely tell the difference; there's been some side channel compression and a healthy bass boost. It all sounds a bit more wider, fuller, and crisp.

Listening to I Promise and Lift, you can definitely see where they started making The Bends: Even Bendier before veering off into what would become OKC.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TKOL is unironically my favorite Radiohead album. Actually I think they've put out their best music in the last decade.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also on the cassette, the National Anthem demo is a wild trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

spliffaz posted:

Opinions \ assholes and all that, but a lot of you need to get your ears checked if you think TKOL was the BESTEST EVER! The live renditions were much better, for sure. I'm torn between people thinking it's the best because it got really chilly reviews therefore was AMAZING, or a lot of folk here really like rhythm focused music over more melodic. I don't think TKOL was bad, far from it, but calling it the best is pretty silly now, isn't it?

Not really. I think it's their most consistent in terms of establishing a mood that I personally enjoy/connect with. In terms of making cultural waves, then yeah, OKC, Kid A, and IR are the more notable albums, but TKOL scratches a musical itch for me that they hadn't previously, and didn't expect them to.

It's a very strong, brief statement that doesn't try too hard. It just is. And I like that.