Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TKOL is when Radiohead briefly became Talking Heads and it's my favorite for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

This is a good thing

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Princeps32 posted:

those are all perfectly decent laptop songs but only The Eraser and Cymbal Rush really hang with the big boys. and AMOK is the dullest of the Thom Yorke spin-off material!

yeah like opinions etc or whatnot but without thom’s voice his solo stuff would be pretty whatever

It’s actually pretty amazing how each member of the band contributes a non-expendable part of the Radiohead sound. Even Ed, who gets the butt of a lot of “what the gently caress does he do” jokes, is pretty much their secret weapon in terms of ethereal sonic texturing.

Most bands you could switch out somebody and very little would notice.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Agreed. Short, precise statement albums tend to be my favorites. New Order’s first five albums were only 8-9 songs each, and they’re pretty much perfection in my eyes.

TKOL is probably their Technique.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hail to the Thief certainly is, and it's 15 years old today!

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1005437232990343168

That means it's also been almost 15 years since I first got into Radiohead.

HTTT is Radiohead’s The Life Of Pablo.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Where I End And You Begin is the best Talk Talk song never made.

...it’s also in my top five RH songs ever.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

AARO posted:

Radiohead has been my favourite band since The Bends came out in 1995 when I was 12. I knew what was going to be on all the future albums because I would get bootleg copies of all their concerts back when they used to play unreleased songs before they came out. My anticipation for In Limbo was almost diabolical. I would have done anything for the studio version of that song to come out 1 day earlier.

Still my favorite band. That's my Radiohead story thanks for listening.

I didn’t actually get into Radiohead until HTTT, so In Rainbows was my first release that I had active anticipation for. I had that tentative “LP7” playlist of live songs played during the ‘06 tour. Oddly enough, Bangers and Mash was one of the ones I was really hyped for. I was pretty disappointed when it didn’t make the final album, and had to wait another two or so months until it appeared on the second disc. Imagine my surprise when I finally got my hands on the studio version, and that straight forward rocker had turned into a funkified tape-loop dance party. I ended up loving it even more, and kept thinking they should just make an entire album like this - groovy beats and loops and kinda nonsensical.

This is the story of how TKOL is still my number one.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Pretty sure it's the end. AMSP just doesn't feel like an album with wind in its sails, compared to pretty much every other RH release over the last 2 decades.

It's better that they stop before things get bad and dull.

AMSP feels like a thesis statement of sorts, older and wiser, and reflecting back on the past both musically and lyrically.

As much as I’d love to see them veer off into wtf-territory on another album, I wouldn’t exactly be mad if this was it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Radiohead’s best album is in second grade, at most :colbert:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
AMSP is easily their prettiest album. I feel like I should be listening to it at night while snowed in, sitting by a fire.

A fire to keep them away.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ful Stop is my jam to blast on my commute home from work

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
TKOL is very aggressively it’s own thing. It’s “we’re Radiohead, this is what we’re doing at the moment, listen for 38 minutes or gently caress off, bye”. And it’s better for it.

I think it’s hilarious its conception was basically them not knowing what to do next after IR, and it just cuts to The Gang Becomes DJs.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think I need to rank RH albums agaoin, good idea? y/n?

Good idea yes

1. TKOL
2. Amnesiac
3. IR
4. AMSP
5. HTTT
6. Kid A
7. OKC
8. The Bends
9. PH

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Even from a purely musical sense, I think one of HTTT’s strengths is that it’s long and not fussed over. Just a band getting together for two weeks and banging out an album. Compare that with the Kid A/Amnesiac and In Rainbows sessions being over two years each.

All of them are excellent for different reasons, but HTTT does have a sense of carefree fun about it, despite the dark subject matter

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Plus The Gloaming live loving kills

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

“I Can’t”-> “Lurgee” ->“Blow Out”

You are probably being ironic, but I legit have a soft spot for those three songs. PH bangs if you’re in the right mood

That being said...

YAWA > I might be wrong > knives out

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m a massive Talking Heads fan and that’s probably why I have a big predisposition to loving TKOL.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Before Radiohead splits, I want them to come out of nowhere and end their career with a PH-esque album of shameless, sometimes questionable, guitar pop.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I really would not mind Hooky just going to town over some Radiohead.

Or Radiohead doing a really bizarre cover of Fine Time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bangers + Mash is brilliant

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I gotta disagree on the full band True Love Waits. It’s obviously a rough take, but I think it’s brilliant. Like if Radiohead decided to go a bit synthpop in an alternate dimension. That bassline too.

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 6, 2019

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want Radiohead to go back and record all of their unreleased material as Stock Aitken Waterman-esque synthpop bangers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Oh this’ll probably just be 18 hours of alternate takes and random noodling. Nothing interesting.”

*first track is Exit Music smashed with Life in a Glasshouse*

:stare:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
15 Step barely has a song structure. It’s a jam and it’s excellent.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Radiohead are more innovators in production. And by innovators, I mean them taking a lot of the “experimental” music they were listening to at the time and recontextualizing it into pop. At its core, a track like Packt is a catchy 3 minute pop song, it’s just filtered through some very intentionally wonky production.

(I loving love Packt)

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 12, 2019

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Nail Rat posted:

Just for emphasis. What is this garbage "hurf durf this music isn't challenging enough"

This is purely anecdotal, but my friends who actively seek out “challenging” music are usually very analytical types who are driven to find some sort of inherent meaning behind art. They also don’t have any clue behind how music works. On the flip side, my musician friends, even the theory nerds, loving love simple-ish pop music and don’t really put too much thought into it. Don’t know what that really means, but it’s been an observation.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s very dry and close-mic’ed, making the entire album seem like a very intimate concert. It contrasted nicely with the stadium-rockish HTTT and was a good creative decision.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s very few ‘electronic’ acts that have pulled off an exciting, purely synth live show. Depeche Mode comes to mind, but even they started throwing in live instruments in the early 90s. Pet Shop Boys rely on theatrics and dancers.

Then again, maybe I’m just old too and hovering over a laptop is cool now. Not knocking Thom and company, mind you.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Bangers + Mash is low key top 10 Radiohead. It also signaled the direction they’d take for their next, and best album.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Jewmanji posted:

I don’t see the connection. Explain?

Loop-based, Talking Heads-esque, generally groovy rock.

asecondduck posted:

Little by Little is not dissimilar from Bangers & Mash in my mind. Lofi Television-inspired rock.

Yes!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Essentially recording HTTT live was a very, very good idea. Its lack of polish only contributes to its charm.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much. They recorded one song a day for two weeks live as a full band. Extremely minimal effects and overdubs. It was supposedly a super quick and easy album to make, and Ed O’Brien quipped that it was the only album they didn’t want to kill each other after making. Lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Odd Mutant posted:

Reckoner was the last time a song gave me chills. I still remember going into that song expecting to hear the "Pulled Apart By Horses" version but instead being treated to that. It's like having a good cry in a warm rainstorm.

I still really like how the original Reckoner riff appears during the outro, just muted.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Lol at them including every music video except Anyone Can Play Guitar and Pop Is Dead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s a greatest hits album, but all the tracks have been re-recorded in the style of Pablo Honey

Actually I’d be down for that

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
OG Fog is top ten Radiohead for me. The production is just lovely - aside from Thom’s vocal, the instrumentation is completely mono, which is an interesting choice that just works.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If we’re doing this then...

1. I Might Be Wrong
2. 15 Step
3. No Surprises
4. Fog
5. Lotus Flower
6. Packt
7. Down Is The New Up
8. Where I End And You Begin
9. Ful Stop
10. The Amazing Sounds of Orgy

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Edward Mass posted:

Radiohead albums, in order:

Pablo Honey
The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A
Amnesiac
Hail to the Thief
In Rainbows
The King of Limbs
A Moon Shaped Pool

Wrong

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Earth probably takes second place behind The Eraser for best Radiohead solo project for me.

We all know Ed is the band’s secret sauce, but it’s lovely that he can finally show off his prowess here. (Ed’s Scary Song notwithstanding, of course.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tenterhooks posted:

A great wee conversation with Ed on the Adam Buxton Podcast: https://overcast.fm/+FUW0FZO40. A fair amount about his solo record but loads of cheerful Radiohead chat too. Both seem like the goodest of eggs.

This is a pro click. Ed continues to just be the best. :3:

The bit about them filming the videos for Anyone Can Play Guitar and Stop Whispering had me in stitches, along with Ed excitedly showing them to his dad at the time. “I am not proud of you son”.