Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jonny Greenwood even reposted it on his Twitter lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I love The Smile but I’m also very excited for more EOB output. I really liked Earth, despite some lyrical wonkiness.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also Jonny loves him some beats and loops too. I thought I read somewhere it was Jonny and Nigel that were the driving forces behind TKOL.

Also Jonny is responsible for studio Videotape.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just figure this is the very common thing that long-running bands do where they just…stop for a decade and then suddenly there’s a new album out of nowhere. It would not be out of the ordinary to not see another Radiohead album until 2026.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

On the other hand you get plenty of bands that put out an album every 2-3 years long after they've run out of ideas - like an obligation.

Depeche Mode says hi.

(Memento Mori is actually pretty decent, fwiw)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wanna hear those abandoned Spike Stent-produced In Rainbows sessions, if they do an anniversary edition.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
HTTT is good, actually

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Framboise posted:

While I recognize Kid A as the masterpiece it is, I confess I don't actually enjoy it all that much compared to some other Radiohead albums. I'm not really sure why, I can't really name anything it does wrong or that I particularly dislike, but it's pretty much dead center if I were to rank the albums in terms of my personal favorites.

Yeah same. Like, I recognize that it’s a great piece of work, but it doesn’t really connect with me all that much.

It’s funny because even though Amnesiac is from the exact same sessions, I absolutely connect with it and it shifts between being my favorite or second-favorite Radiohead album.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I was gonna say Ed, Phil, and Colin should start their own band as a joke but no, that would actually own.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
8 track albums loving rule. Remain in Light, New Order’s Low-Life…get in, make a statement, and promptly peace out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
All of the songs on TKOL are bangers.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Amnesiac is better than Kid A, yeah

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s funny how Bangers + Mash of all songs was kinda the most indicative of the forthcoming TKOL era. Just grooves built out of loops and splices.

The main difference is TKOL was digital, while Bangers was physical tape loops. Weirdly, it was also the earliest song worked on from what would become In Rainbows, dating back to 2004. So they’ve had that funky loop streak in their system for a bit.

e: yeah forgot about Nude

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Nov 29, 2023

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

SUNKOS posted:

Am I right in thinking the song started with Thom having that bass riff and they went from there? Really cool and I love the horns and weird vocal effect (what is that?!)

Yep, according to interviews Thom had that bass riff kicking around since he was 16. He also played it on the studio version, as opposed to Colin.

The vocal effect is a ring modulator, which can produce a whole host of crazy noises - including the voice of the Daleks from Doctor Who!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I would love it if the radio accidentally picked up Creep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Ed, Colin, and Phil just go off and become a power trio.