Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rollersnake posted:

Faithless, the Wonder Boy is a fun glimpse of an alternate universe where Thom Yorke was the frontman for Weezer.

Also the Drill/Itch version of Thinking About You is far superior to the album version.

Now there's an image. Imagine that Islands in the Sun video with the muppets, but replace Cuomo with Yorke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PostEldar posted:

Wow, I just devoured that. I loving love how batshit it is, how personal and joyful. I've long admired the Mountain Goats and I knew he was a writer, but hadn't checked anything out yet. My favorite thing about this whole analysis is a patient, focused discussion of the songs themselves. I've always wanted music writers to do that, dissect the songs and offer lots of striking images to accompany them during future listens.

Check out his works of fiction, both really good books.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The subject of that message made me chuckle.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My favorite is Reckoner. The vocals are just....perfect, it's hard to explain.

It's a beautiful song.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Do they play Reckoner much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Thom’s just one of those musicians that plays by pure feeling, which seems to send music theorists into a tizzy (not you, Hedrigall). Kinda like how some people analyze Beatles songs and wonder how they came up with these crazy chords and progressions and it usually just amounted to “lol my finger slipped and it sounded cool”.

IIRC Paul said he didn't learn to read music until the Beatles split and that type of thing is very common