Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I liked a few tracks from The King of Limbs (Codex, Lotus Flower, The Butcher which I count because it came out like a month later and you got it for free if you bought the album), but it was a letdown after 3.5 years of waiting after a truly great album. Hopefully they've had some better ideas in the past five. It is the longest they've gone between albums so they should've had some time for writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Popcorn posted:

Little by Little owns. It's sexy and slinky and catchy and silly all at the same time. The only thing that bugs me is the apparent lack of bass guitar. I mean, isn't that weird? To just have no bassline at all (at least on the record)?

Feral only has like one six second bass doodle.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Truly, Radiohead has yet to reach the heights of Chumbawamba.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

True Love Waits or Daydreaming would be good songs to play at the beach if you want everyone to drown themselves.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

As with most of Radiohead's albums post-OK Computer, it took me a few listens to get into this one, but it might be my favorite since Kid A now.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

This review written while the reviewer swirled PBR in a snifter glass and wore a fedora.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BigFactory posted:

Ha! Could you imagine?

Yeah because I've literally seen that at a bar recently, though I don't think he was writing for pitchfork.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BigFactory posted:

You saw him pour Pabsts blue ribbon into a brandy snifter or could hr possibly have been drinking Belgian ale in a Belgian ale glass.

No, I literally saw him get a tallboy of PBR and a snifter glass, and proceeded to pour said PBR into said glass.

These people actually exist, yes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Anyway, it's a good album but Pitchfork guy needs to tone it down a little IMO

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Thom also does walk onto a beach during the video for Daydreaming.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's definitely about swinging, "throw your keys in the bowl, kiss your husband goodnight." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_sex#Key_party

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I absolutely love this album, but I agree it should at the very least not be in alphabetical order. It's almost as if they don't even care if anyone tries to experience it as an album anymore. There might be a worse choice for an album opener, but not many would have been worse than Burn the Witch. Ful Stop should definitely be the first song, kind of in the vein of Packt Like Sardines.

I also kind of agree with the production complaints, it's so quiet and hazy that it only works with headphones or a great sound system that you can turn up loud. If you listen on computer speakers to something like Ful Stop or Identikit, you're missing a lot and you'll probably think the song is boring.

The cover art does suck too.

quote:

I agree wholeheartedly that there isn't some "ideal" length, cohesiveness is much more important. TKOL left me a bit cold partly because the two halves didn't seem to go together

Speaking of which, I remember in the TKOL thread that a bunch of people thought that it was only half the album, and that Separator's lyrics "If you think this is over/Then you're wrong" meant there'd be more coming.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 13, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Decades posted:

Further to Bodysnatchers / Ful Stop chat, I remembered that Cuttooth's beat is also similar. They love that groove. Cool how the three songs still feel so different.

Is this not just a general "listening to good music on lovely speakers thing"? When music is compressed and boosted to sound equally good across all media that's largely what I'd consider bad production.

This album in particular a lot of the instruments are very, very quiet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Well I'm definitely going to at least get the vinyl version, but I'm working real hard at talking myself into the stupid box of tchotchkes.

edit: hoo boy, shipping on the regular vinyl version is $19 to the US. I sure do hope Amazon gets it at some point.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 3, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

This song is kind of ho hum but I'm still very excited for Lift.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I guess I'm happy these songs weren't on OK Computer, but I'm very happy to have them now and Lift in particular will probably be in some of my playlists for a bit.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

lelandjs posted:

So some people have gotten their boxsets and apparently there's some quite interesting stuff on the tape that you may not wish to be spoiled on:

There's a ZX Spectrum program hidden at the end

If you ever figure that out *without* a spoiler you need a hobby

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Barry posted:

This is why people hate Radiohead fans

Just for emphasis. What is this garbage "hurf durf this music isn't challenging enough"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

A keytar could help!