Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I never gave In Rainbows a chance for years and now it's one of my favorites. Same for The Bends. (OK Computer, Kid A, and Hail to the Thief are my top 3 though)

I thought Amnesiac was really overrated. It felt like it wanted to be Kid A but something about it just feels incomplete and not as memorable. Some great tracks to be sure, but I haven't found myself wanting to revisit it as much. And I haven't been able to get through TKOL at all.

Just because albums like Amnesiac and TKOL are innovative doesn't necessarily make the others "albums for people who don't like the band", that's pretentious as gently caress

Framboise fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

Radiohead are more innovators in production. And by innovators, I mean them taking a lot of the “experimental” music they were listening to at the time and recontextualizing it into pop. At its core, a track like Packt is a catchy 3 minute pop song, it’s just filtered through some very intentionally wonky production.

(I loving love Packt)

You sound like a reasonable man

Polo-Rican posted:

IMHO In Rainbows is innovative because it showed that Radiohead wasn't a one-way road . When Hail to the Thief came out, lots of people would point to songs like The Gloaming or Backdrifts and say "ah, yes — this is what Radiohead will sound like in the future," as if all the band were capable of is a long, linear slide into ambient bloopy electronic music. But is that really innovation? If their next album had been the most echoey, the bloopiest, the starkest electronic album to date, would that be interesting? Or would that have been what everyone expected? In Rainbows opens with 15 step, a 5/4 track that blends rock and electronica and rocks really loving hard... who would expect Radiohead to simply start rocking again? Bodysnatchers is an even more direct and simple rock track... then later on you have tracks like Reckoner and Faust Arp, which were some of their most lush songs to date and sound like nothing they'd really done before. Anything felt possible in the band's future after In Rainbows.

Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows are especially great for that reason because it shows just how dynamic and flexible the band is, imo. Sure, they have their accessible rock like The Bends and more innovative and tougher to digest music like Amnesiac, but they're able to shift styles around and still sound impressive. Who knows what the next album will sound like?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

This is purely anecdotal, but my friends who actively seek out “challenging” music are usually very analytical types who are driven to find some sort of inherent meaning behind art. They also don’t have any clue behind how music works. On the flip side, my musician friends, even the theory nerds, loving love simple-ish pop music and don’t really put too much thought into it. Don’t know what that really means, but it’s been an observation.

Music doesn't need to be challenging and complex to be good. It just needs to invoke the right feeling in the listener.

I have a friend who has some very... high standards for music to the point where he'll even scoff at some of Radiohead's work and then he'll send me some tracks from some artist that just sounds like a lot of noise to me.

Then he'll send me something super loving weird and on the disturbing end of avant-garde.

Then he will turn around and gush over super simple bubblegum pop that I would swear he would see as beneath him. He's no musician, he just has really diverse tastes and gets bored easily, so I think his main drive is hearing something that isn't necessarily challenging or complex, but feels unique to him.

I won't scoff seriously at him though-- more in jest. He's introduced me to a lot of great stuff over the years and influenced my tastes and expanded my horizons a lot too (I used to be an emo kid in high school who would only listen to a lot of bands I look back at and cringe at now). He's the one who got me into Radiohead to begin with after all.

I think my ultimate drive in music is that while I like unique and challenging music, what I like far more is very emotional music and lyrics. So while I can appreciate albums like Kid A greatly, my favorite songs are also probably the most "accessible" tracks-- How To Disappear Completely, Idioteque, Motion Picture Soundtrack-- the most emotionally charged tracks. A lot of the other tracks sound very detached and I feel like that's kind of the point, I remember reading that Thom was more interested in the rhythm of the album rather than the lyrics being super cohesive. And that's fine, it just doesn't scratch the same itch for me.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 12, 2019

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Filipino posted:

I know everyone hates ranking albums but how about choosing your favorite 10 Radiohead songs in no particular order? Would this be acceptable or just bad and dumb? I'd be really interested to see some posters lists.

I think it's way too hard to do an objective subjective list for this so instead I'll just say my favorite Radiohead song is No Surprises. I don't care if that's a "normie" pick, that song is like a warm blanket on a cold, miserable night.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

90s Shoes posted:

I love lots of their songs but have a special place for Where I End and You Begin, feel like that one's always a little underrated.

other than that you know, Let Down, A Reminder, Fog, Nude, Idioteque, Pyramid Song, A Wolf at the Door, Life in a Glasshouse, How to Disappear Completely, Decks Dark, Talk Show Host, idk I love too many to make a coherent list.

I'd have to invent some dumb science to force a top 10.

Where I End and You Begin is so loving good. Hail has so many great tracks.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jables88 posted:

Where I End And You Begin suffers from being a gloomy number in the middle of a gloomy run of songs on a gloomy album. It'd stand out far better slapped in the middle of In Rainbows or TKOL or AMSP.

I'm all about the gloominess though, so HTTT was just great for me in general

HD DAD posted:

Essentially recording HTTT live was a very, very good idea. Its lack of polish only contributes to its charm.

I actually did not know it was recorded live. Huh.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm listening to HTTT in my car again as I drive around for work and I'm always floored by how dreamy and beautiful Sail to the Moon is.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Man I can't believe I haven't given much attention to the tracks on the second disc of the rerelease of OK Computer. Some of these songs are so drat good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/radiohead/status/1219198732098510848?s=20

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My girlfriend got me the A Moon Shaped Pool special edition for my birthday-- the one that comes with 2x LP and 2x CDs, a large art book, and a band of recording tape around it all.

I have to wonder what is on the tape.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If I had the means I'd try to do it as well, but who knows, it could just be silence between tracks too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like my top 10 changes pretty frequently. At this very moment though...

1. No Surprises
2. Nude
3. Lift
4. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
5. Daydreaming
6. Optimistic
7. Sail To the Moon
8. There, There
9. Knives Out
10. Lotus Flower

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
i joined bnr, needs more radiothread

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Really nice post-wedding photo.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFXHSUEDnrG/?igshid=16xilkzrbjllj

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Motion Picture Soundtrack always seemed like it would work well for something like that. The harp at the end is so beautifully haunting.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't get in on the super fancy OKNOTOK special edition but I do have the one with blue vinyl.

Meanwhile, my girlfriend got me the A Moon Shaped Pool special edition for my birthday this year and I love it and wish I knew what snippet my tape band was.

I'd jump on a Kid A one.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I really do wonder why they didn't stick with the far better version of Videotape that they did live. Maybe it's because they wanted to play up the illusion that's going on in the song?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they're going to release it next year on the 21st anniversary.

Kid A will officially be 21 and therefore no longer A Kid.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

IR, and TKOL AMSP are all better albums

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

no

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
In Rainbows came out 13 years ago today. Giving a spin on the turntable and remembering why I don't play it as often outside of my car on Spotify-- I forgot how much bad luck I had trying to get a good one. The first one I bought straight up had like, a bubble in the vinyl that made it skip, and the second one skips on Jigsaw Falling Into Place.

Still one of the best.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I really hope Radiohead will have something new after Covid so I can go see them live already.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/radiohead/comments/jhfbaa/this_should_cheer_you_guys_up_thoms_been_busy/

Something is in the works. Thom was being really vague so there's no clue whether this is more solo material or a proper Radiohead release, but still, something could be coming next year.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe I didn't care for A Moon Shaped Pool when I first listened to it. It's arguably my favorite album at the moment; probably the one I keep coming back to most this year.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Daydreaming is one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful and depressing things I have listened to.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Jewmanji posted:

Same, but I’d add Decks Dark. That’s a great opening trio. I don’t love the opening 3 track sequencing on HTTT, In Rainbows, or TKOL for various reasons.

Agree, Decks Dark flows well.

Also agree that while the first three tracks of those other albums are good they don't flow as well.

And I say that while also feeling there isn't a single weak song on In Rainbows too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
What's that music in the background of the tiktok? It sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting. Someone on the subreddit mentioned something about Philip doing a solo album and that's what the news was about. Maybe there's more to it after all.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Finished listening as well. It ain't bad, but as someone who has been obsessed with A Moon Shaped Pool for over a year straight now, it didn't really do much to scratch that itch-- not that I really expected a side project to-- nor can I really expect whatever the next Radiohead album is to do so either since they change it up so much.

I feel like the second half of the set was the much stronger half. First couple songs didn't really grab me. Last 4 songs ranged from solid to pretty nice.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Volte posted:

Paul or any of the Beatles could never read music, even to this day. Anything that needed to be transcribed for orchestration was done by George Martin. It's not uncommon at all for rock musicians playing their own material. Thom doesn't read music but Jonny does, given his background. Regardless, I think he has a good intuition about music theory, even if he wouldn't necessarily be able to explain his music academically.

This kind of makes me feel better about myself. I feel like I have a decent ear for music, and when I was in band in high school, I could never READ the music but I could always replicate it by ear very well.

I've always wanted to get back into music, but knowing I'd have to dive into theory and stuff turns me off, so knowing that you don't entirely need it is kind of a relief.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Was kinda hoping for new stuff, but hell, I'll buy it. Don't got Kid A or Amnesiac on vinyl yet.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
gimme

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Got the colored vinyl. I adore my deluxe version of AMSP and I don't have Kid A or Amnesiac on vinyl yet, so it's a great chance to get them.

After this, I think the only albums I don't own records of are Pablo Honey and King of Limbs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

incoherent posted:

Heads up: a indie-exclusive red 3xLP is out there as well. I wasn't ready to jump on a $120 colored variant, but for $60 the red variant is much more in line with the art.

Wait, does it come with the other special stuff the cream colored one has?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Post 9-11 Windows posted:

I'm listening to AMSP again for the first time in years and... Yeah, the quality of the album drops hard after the 2nd song, but it feels like I need to write something longer than this post to explain why. I guess overall there's just this anemic, passionless quality to it. It's like instead of the typical Radiohead fashion of wailing against the horrors of the world, this album started taking SSRIs and shrugged.

That was my first impression of the album back around the time it came out.

I listened to it a couple years ago to give it a second chance and it's now probably my favorite and a masterpiece on the level of OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows, in my opinion. :shrug:

It's not passionless. The whole album encapsulates the feeling of defeat and crushing loneliness so very well-- keep in mind Thom was going through a divorce when the album was being made (and his ex-wife passed away from cancer shortly after). AMSP isn't an exciting album, it's a heartbroken gut-punch and it does what it was meant to do extremely well.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
You absolutely need to be in the mood for it. I picked it up again after dropping my girlfriend off at the airport to go back home back in December 2019 or so*. It was miserably cold and dreary and we felt like we didn't get to see each other enough (and the stress of a long distance relationship was really wearing us both down since it's really expensive to visit consistently). The mood of the album absolutely grabbed me by the throat and it really hasn't let go since then.

*She moved in with me last year and we own a house now. So things do look up! Album's still a masterpiece even when I'm not in the mood for it though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Just finished premiering.

Song's okay. I like If You Say The Word more.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

:sigh:

(why the gently caress is an order from Europe going all the way to an LA port? we got a full-rear end east coast over here, y'know.)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
If they have, I'm not going to accept that as truth until they openly announce it.

Gonna be massively bummed if true, I never did get a chance to see them live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
would you say it's following you around