Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Fog - Again Again Version is very pretty and flows really well into If You Say The Word. I've not heard the original yet though. Should look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Pull/Pull True Love Waits is... I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Like it's nice, but in a "how does this sound good together? These sounds clash quite a bit" way.

Really like how How To Disappear Into Strings makes the Ondes Martenot stand out too. Such a gorgeous instrument.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My "SCARRY" Book arrived the other day. I wasn't expecting how bulky it was.

Happy to finally get it though. Now the only albums I don't own are Pablo Honey and The King of Limbs.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

I got the TKOL special edition and it's fun as an art idea (no big box set, just a newspaper that is intentionally supposed to get ripped, brown and eventually rot to nothing) but not great as, y'know, an expensive special edition. Materialistically speaking.

I didn't pick up OKNOTOK, but kinda wish I did in hindsight, since once the HttT one comes out (if it comes out - I hope it'll come out) I'll have all the special editions (they'll never do one for Pablo Honey or The Bends)

I missed out on OKNOTOK special edition and In Rainbows special edition, sadly. I do have AMSP special edition with the tape band though!

Also, The Smile live on Instagram right now. Thom on bass.

Never mind, it ended right as I posted this.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Strangely mine arrived a couple days before I even got any shipping notifications.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
very radiohead tbh; they do stuff on their own time and never when you expect it and it ends up being a pleasant surprise regardless

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Damnit I'm gonna have to get my turntable unpacked and set up to test mine too.

Is it just Kid A having issues?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

I sat down and listened to moon shaped pool over the weekend. It’s very good.

On reflection it's still probably my favorite.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Instant preorder. It ain't a new Radiohead album, but I'll be happy to have it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Liking what I'm hearing so far.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I want to say that this is easily album of the year, but Kendrick just dropped an album and I haven't listened to that yet.

Sir Lemming posted:

The Smile : Radiohead :: Them Crooked Vultures: Queens Of The Stone Age

I don't mean to gloss over the fact that there are actually a lot of personnel differences, but simply judging by the way the record sounds, this feels very much like a Radiohead record unburdened by the idea that they have to constantly innovate and top themselves.

I get this. It feels like there's a little bit of the spirit of a bunch of Radiohead albums in here, without actually being a Radiohead album. I definitely like it more than any of Thom's solo stuff, but that's to be expected when Jonny's involved too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's not really AMSP 2, the mood is completely different.

I feel elements of Kid A, Amnesiac, and King of Limbs in here quite a bit too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Album's definitely scratching the itch. I like it a lot.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Agree with House of Cards being In Rainbows' weakest track. It's not bad, it's just not anywhere near on the same level as the rest of what is otherwise an utter masterpiece.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's just that the song doesn't really feel like it goes anywhere. It's still pleasant and Thom's singing is good, but the rest of the song is kind of eh.

I haven't heard a live version, but it may be like how I feel about Videotape too. It's a great song, but the live version is so much better.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The Smile is good. A Light for Attracting Attention will probably be my album of the year.

It's still not Radiohead.

I really do wonder how they can top AMSP though. It feels like such an emotional zenith for them. Or whatever the polar opposite of a zenith is since that emotion is so raw and painful and negative.

Either way you get what I mean.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The weather is cold and the wind is cutting me to the core, which means it's time to listen to AMSP again.

Daydreaming is one of the most hauntingly beautiful songs ever made.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Costco Meatballs posted:

people who get mad for people standing at a concert are the worst

I'm still proud of myself for smoking a joint in the 700 dollar seats at a stones concert. I had to stay sitting the whole show but man were the aristrocrats mad.

As someone with asthma who had someone smoking next to me the entire time I went to a show, please don't, it was loving miserable

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I spent 9 minutes waiting for them to put AMSP in S tier but they never even got to it :smith:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There are two kinds of people in the world: people who think HTTT is real good and people who are wrong.

Never understood why folks dislike it so much.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Jet posted:

There’s more tracks I skip on HTTT than any other Radiohead album. I still enjoy it but anyone who puts it over TKOL is insane to me
I'm definitely insane then, TKOL is probably the album I listen to least. Lotus Flower's top tier though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Pizza Club posted:

They skip (obvious) stuff too. I feel the same way you do, but this isn't a good example.

Still waiting on that Machina repress/anniversary edition...........

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
This isn't going to be on the next album? Huge misstep, this song owns

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted it when I inevitably pick up the next album as a vinyl lol

As far as streaming era releases goes, it's not a big deal though yeah

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
While I recognize Kid A as the masterpiece it is, I confess I don't actually enjoy it all that much compared to some other Radiohead albums. I'm not really sure why, I can't really name anything it does wrong or that I particularly dislike, but it's pretty much dead center if I were to rank the albums in terms of my personal favorites.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

It's crystallized pain. Amnesiac is similar but it has more verve to it, which makes it a bit more universal and easy to get with

Yeah. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I don't connect with as much since AMSP is intensely gray and despondent as well but it's my favorite of the whole discography.

I think part of it may be how dissociative Kid A feels while AMSP in comparison tears its heart out and throws it on the table for all to see. Kid A feels as if it comes from a perspective of cold disconnection from oneself. AMSP feels vulnerable and dreary compared to Kid A's distance and anhedonia. I guess it's a level of bleak that I just don't relate to as much as I used to.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Lemming posted:

There are few things I love more than a good song transition, and that's what puts Kid A over the top for me. It couldn't possibly flow better; no tracks should be moved, removed or added. Everything is literally in its right place.

For sure. Kid A is a tightly composed work that is best enjoyed in its entirety for the way it flows from track to track. It does make it a bit more worse for wear when listening to individual songs for that reason though-- like, it feels weird listening to just In Limbo without listening to Optimistic first.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. There is a kind of cold and icy grandeur with Kid A, which I actually find somewhat more comforting/comfortable (as you say, it's an extremely dissociative album). It's escape, of a sort. When I was really into it (and in a really bad place in my life) I'd spend hours listening to it and poring over the artwork and, well, disappearing completely into it.

AMSP is just raw, bleeding grief and fear and melancholy and despair. I very rarely listen to that album, it's too much for me. It reminds me too much of the time it came out in.

I feel you. I didn't actually care much for AMSP when I first listened to it-- then there was a time in my life where I had listened to it on a whim and it struck the right nerve, and it was suddenly like a blanket wrapped around my shoulders and a cup of hot cocoa. Or a drink of whiskey at 2 in the morning in the dim solitude of my office. Different kinds of comfort, but comfort nevertheless.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 12, 2023

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

AMSP feels like real, actual loss. Whereas stuff like OKC/KID A/HTTT is sorta like… artistic interpretations of the fear of suffering. Like “oooh boy, that’s gonna be bad. Can you imagine it? Aaaah that’s so scary oh no” and AMSP is just “global warming is here, fascism is here, your partner left you and will leave the world soon.” A suffering that you have no choice but to experience and endure. A suffering that humbles you and shows you what’s important, like firing your band except for the guitarist with the orchestra, and hiring a jazz drummer.

Yeah. AMSP is such an emotionally devastated album in a way that the others don't really convey. The perspective of someone who saw the metaphorical trainwreck and couldn't look away.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://store-usd.thesmiletheband.com/

New The Smile album Wall of Eyes just announced, alongside EU tour.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

HD DAD posted:

Amnesiac is better than Kid A, yeah

Agree, kind of.

I used to be strongly indifferent to Amnesiac, but after listening again earlier this year it really grew on me.

I feel like Kid A is the stronger album of the two, but I don't really like listening to it unless I'm listening to it in full, which I'm rarely in the mood for. Amnesiac's individual tracks are way more enjoyable.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm really not in love with this one. ALFAA was better but still just doesn't captivate me like the stuff that comes from the whole Radiohead team.

Maybe I'm just not in the right headspace for it but this was a really sleepy album. Might like it more if I was inebriated or something lol.

Bending Hectic was the star of the show though. What a pretty song.

I'll have to come back to this one sometime. I didn't like AMSP at ALL when I first heard it, but then I listened to it at a different time in my life and it's my all time favorite album now. So who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

shoeberto posted:

I think AMSP is just too loaded emotionally. It's kinda draining. There are movies I've loved that are the same way. I can't just watch them at the drop of a hat, it feels more like an investment. That's the difference between AMSP and the older albums for me.

Agreed. It's my very favorite, but I can't just listen to it any time. The mood needs to be right for that one.

Meanwhile I can listen to In Rainbows or Amnesiac anytime.