Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

TKOL would have been a great album if it included more songs that were written during that era. I remember at the time people said there was nothing wrong with it being only 8 tracks, but I have no idea why they left songs like Staircase, Daily Mail, These Are My Twisted Words and Supercollider etc. on the cutting room floor when the album would have been so much better with them. The band had some great output during that era, but unfortunately a lot of it never made it onto the album.

They played Ful Stop when I saw them live during the TKOL tour and it was an amazing song, but who knows if it will be on the upcoming album or not. I remember reading somewhere that someone in the band confirmed that a reworked version of Lift was going to be on the upcoming album however, which was really surprising to hear. That song's been floating around since the Bends era, I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I'm disappointed with how TKOL turned out but I think that Codex is one of the best songs they've ever written.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Popcorn posted:

guitar freakouts

I miss these. I know they wouldn't really fit nowadays with how Radiohead has evolved over the years but Jonny really could play.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Yeah, it looks like the new album is gonna be dropping sometime within the next few months. I was watching some live performances of new songs from back in 2012 and although it's a long time ago now I really hope all these tracks make it onto the new album and are just as good as the live versions because they're all excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4AEzM-e5eA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B1D5kz0yus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prhSe71_nmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGm1dxyOSco

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I hope they do what they did with In Rainbows and compile leftover tracks that didn't suit the album onto a bonus disc.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Princeps32 posted:

i want to go to bed but now there might be new radiohead

gently caress is it happening or not

i want to be confused and mildly disappointed by the next style change and then slowly grow to really love it god dammit

They're probably gonna run a month-long PR campaign on social media since all this started on May 1st and the manager guy let slip that the album was apparently planned to release in June.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I think these are the lyrics:

Dreamers
They never learn
They never learn
Beyond the point
Of no return
Of no return
And it's too late
The damage is done
The damage is done

This goes
Beyond me
Beyond you
A white room
By a window
Where the sun comes through
We are just happy to serve
Just happy to serve you

Corvo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 6, 2016

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

The first encore should be an extended thirty-minute jam of Trans-Atlantic Drawl.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Anyone Can Limbo

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

68k posted:

I'm still not ruling out something crazy like a double album

I'm just really hoping that what we do get is more substantial than TKOL, at least. They've played so many great new songs live since that album released that it would be a shame to see those tracks left off the new album. I'm hoping that if they insist on keeping things tight that they do what they did with In Rainbows and have a deluxe edition of some kind with extra material.

Speaking of which, considering both The King of Limbs and In Rainbows had some really nice deluxe editions, I think it's a safe assumption that the new album will have something along those lines as well. It will be interesting to see what they do since they're one of very few bands that care enough to put a lot of effort into something like that.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I doubt that Radiohead will ever officially announce the end of the band or that any particular album is their final one because it doesn't really seem their style at all. They definitely take a more leisurely approach to their career at this point and just do albums whenever they feel like it, so there doesn't really seem to be any need to officially end things. Besides, there's also that interview with Jonny from last year where he said that they left it too long without making music together, which leaves me thinking that they don't want to have another large gap between releases and are probably going to try and reduce all the side projects.

Jonny also hinted that Lift will be on the new album during that same interview.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Would be bummed if Cut a Hole didn't make it onto the album because that song is amazing.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Hahaha loving Google.

Corvo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 8, 2016

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Google really screwed up, the albums leaked everywhere now.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

True Love Waits got the Videotape treatment :(

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

I wasn't expecting to laugh 2:30 into Identikit. Jesus Christ.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

HorseRenoir posted:

Gave it a few listens today and it's not doing much for me, unfortunately. It's very pretty and ethereal, but outside of a few tracks it's not really feeling anything more than "well that was nice". I think it's just too mellow for me; I was disappointed that Burn the Witch was the "punchiest" track on here and even that song feels awkwardly tacked on to the beginning of the record.

I'm used to a lot more variety in Radiohead albums, everything on this one just blurs together which is unusual for these guys. It's really disappointing to hear how the studio versions of Identikit and Ful Stop turned out as well, the live versions were phenomenal. Burn the Witch & Daydreaming are fantastic songs and have some great use of strings but on a whole it's disappointing how samey the album is throughout. I think the band is in a weird position where they can still write excellent songs but they're struggling a lot with actually putting albums together.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Popcorn posted:

Part of the reason I think AMSP feels too long to me is the sameness of the arrangements, and the way the edges blur together, like I said. By the end of it, I've had enough, and am in no mood to sit through True Love Waits.

I feel the same way. I'm used to Radiohead albums having a lot more variety and being something interesting that you can really sink your teeth into. AMSP is just dull, repetitive and hollow, there's just nothing really there and the whole album blurs together a bunch of tracks that sound the same and go on for far too long. This is easily tied with Pablo Honey for being their worst album for me, which is really disappointing because Burn the Witch & Daydreaming showed a lot of promise and they had some incredible material ready for AMSP, but what they actually did bring forward was ruined. There's nothing wrong with albums being this length when they're actually interesting though, the reason AMSP falls apart is just because it's so dull. The only real standout moment is 2:30 into Identikit because of how comical it is.

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

Ballz posted:

We're cool with talking about where to download these shows, right? I seem to remember passing around links during the King of Limbs tour without any :filez: controversy.

Were there any soundboards of the old versions of Ful Stop & Identikit made available? The old live versions were so much better than what made it onto the album and having some decent recordings without the crowd being audible would be great, the same goes for Cut a Hole & Skirting on the Surface as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TKoL was awesome from day-one but got lambasted by a bunch of reactionary twerps who felt they deserved a longer album.

And then we found out there was a bunch of great b-sides that didn't make it onto the album