Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Tenterhooks posted:

As someone said earlier, it's crazy that fans of RH can have such varying opinions on their records. HTTT has never totally clicked for me and the tracks you listed are, by and large, my least favourite on the album. I don't hate them at all (or HTTT), but seeing your list particularly illustrated the divide to me. I guess it's inevitable (and good) that a huge pile of material will appeal differently to different people.

Punch up at a wedding has a sick bass line. I like that song.

olin posted:

Thom and Rachel Owen lived together for 23 years and had two children but they never married. They split up last year on "totally amicable terms" or some such. Really lovely for the kids; they have a 15yo son and a 12yo daughter.
People break up, sometimes they have kids. You don't know if it's really lovely or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Anyone can play guitar and I Can't are catchy as gently caress, and Blow Out is legit good.

Not a masterpiece, but Pablo is fun pop when the mood strikes.

It's probably their best album.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Indeed, but is it good for the beach or the gym?

Both!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I also call it journalism - critical journalism. It is a brilliant, scathing critique of Yorke's diction. :colbert: They will continue to publish absurd misheard lyrics until Yorke starts to a) sing clearly or b) publishes all his lyrics. Ask Michael Stipe.

I like the album. I like HttT and The Bends best and although I like a few tracks on Kid A and Amnesiac, I listen to those least because they are hard work and not very rewarding. I thought In Rainbows was pretty decent but TKoL was unfinished.

I'm bummed that I will have to wait until mid-June to get the CD. I know physical media would probably have led to leaks so that was why they held that back but six weeks....seriously?

If you are in the UK you can hear the full album played on Radio 6 here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tk6ll

Don't know if this link will work for non-UK listeners.

You could pre order the cd, select the wav files, and burn your own until then.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

This review written while the reviewer swirled PBR in a snifter glass and wore a fedora.

Ha! Could you imagine?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah because I've literally seen that at a bar recently, though I don't think he was writing for pitchfork.

You saw him pour Pabsts blue ribbon into a brandy snifter or could hr possibly have been drinking Belgian ale in a Belgian ale glass.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

No, I literally saw him get a tallboy of PBR and a snifter glass, and proceeded to pour said PBR into said glass.

These people actually exist, yes.

I saw a big fat guy at a chinese restaurant bar order a Captain and milk once.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

For as long as I've loved True Love Waits, I've been certain he said 'To have your babies', rather than 'To have you be at peace'.

It sounds exactly like that in both versions. I can't hear 'be at peace' no matter how hard I try. They have such different connotations. :ohdear:

Where are you reading be at peace? Isn't it To have your babies?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pop music journalism is also usually really lovely but it's even worse on the web without editors.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sir Lemming posted:

An extramarital affair, I assume.

I thought it was about swinging?

Edit: or whatever the british term for it is. Spousey-sharey.

Edit 2: Some other bloke's bird?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 12, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Decades posted:

Is this not just a general "listening to good music on lovely speakers thing"? When music is compressed and boosted to sound equally good across all media that's largely what I'd consider bad production.

If it sounds good coming out of speakers built into a cooler it sounds good to my ears.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Popcorn posted:

So much lovelier than the actual art.

That looks like one of the pages you can see in the pic of the limited edition set.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Are there more pictures than the one on the store front? Because it doesn't look like that.

It looks like that second page. Same color scheme.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

You mean red?

Yeah, red and orange.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Listened to the album a bunch with friends over the weekend. I was surprised but everyone was really into it. Took a pic!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ICHIBAHN posted:

Not feeling any of the current art.

I think it all looks cool, but album art usually tells more if an obvious story?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Rehash of In Rainbows tbh

At least In Rainbows had rainbow colors and stuff, so it was thematically appropriate, and still a cool abstract image. So it kinda fills that "album art" cliche a little. Where Moon shaped pool has much cooler artwork visually, I think, and I guess it kinda hits some of the dreamy gauziness of the music, but it doesn't really help you understand what the album is about, if that makes any sense. Like the best album art doesn't have to be good "art", but it compliments the music and helps push the story more, so the music makes more sense because the art tells some of the story.

Like this is perfect album art imo: http://imgur.com/SYtHxHJ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

I listen to music in too many different places to get an accurate list like that, but I'm pretty sure my most frequently played song is Reckoner. It's not my absolute favorite but I like it a lot and listen to it most frequently because I was learning it on piano for a while.

Good song.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This guy makes pretty good lists at least, with the links and everything's numbered.

Do you do other lists now that youve got the bug? Best number of times to tap a doorknob before you open it?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Best albums for the beach, best albums for the beach!!

It's all about the mixtape when you're down at the shore. But Legend is up there for sure.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I saw them play Creep in concert once. People clapped a lot and stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ballz posted:

Everyone raised their cellphones pretending they were lighters. Thom prefaced it by saying "We like this song now." And that's my Creep live performance story.

People still used lighters when I saw them play it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Hedrigall posted:

Someone mash-up The Numbers with Unsustainable by Muse.

I'm on it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

Luckily, they left the song very melodied and harmonied, which very few bands do anymore... you pretty much only hear it in dubstep nowadays

Seriously. Artists are so loving lazy right now, dubstep aside.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

68k posted:

Those tiers are all incorrect.

Yup. HttP and HTTL are both top tier records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Anaranjado posted:

The best one is In Rainbows, idiots.

Nah it's the bends because high and dry makes its way on to lots of sunset mixes if youre hanging with babes by the shore.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You bring up an important point. All lists need to include a second Beach Tier list

Beach Tier1
-The Bends
-The King of Limbs
-A Moon Shaped Pool
-OK Computer

Beach Tier2
-In Rainbows
-Amnesiac
-Kid A
-Hail to the Thief
-Pablo Honey

That's stupid. Bends and Pablo honey are on the list and then it's just select tracks like killer cars or lotus flower.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

auzdark posted:

Got my LP delivered this morning - oddly a nice way to start a Saturday (slow and smooth). Artwork I feel isn't as great as Kid A or Amnesiac.

Album is also on Spotify in the UK if you wanna give .0001 cents

Not delux edition, right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Do other NMD threads constantly dissolve into people ranking albums? this is uncanny.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rollersnake posted:

If we had a dedicated Frank Zappa or King Crimson thread, those would.

Radiohead are an extremely popular band who changed their sound considerably, multiple times, over the course of their career. Their most critically successful albums came after their most significant reinvention of their sound. It's entirely possible to be a Radiohead fan while liking none of the same songs as another Radiohead fan. A constantly evolving, difficult to categorize band that a lot of people are passionate about for different reasons + no consensus among fans as to what their best work even is = lists lists lists lists lists.

Nah.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Has anyone heard anything about the limited edition?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Nope. Maybe it's running late. Haven't got an email or anything.

waste still says it's supposed to ship starting the last week of september, which i figure means most people will get them in october. I'm just wondering if anyone has gotten one yet

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Hey my thing shipped.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Amnesiac special edition is still the best one

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Kid A special edition was worse only because the first press regular edition with the hidden booklet was better than the special edition

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Festivals are generally pretty terrible unless you're 20 and love eating drugs in huge crowds. They're fine if that's your thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My best festival experience was going to the gathering of the vibes a million years ago when it was literally a 10 minute drive from my house at the time. It was also before tickets became super tough to counterfeit so with a scanner and color printer I got to see tom tom club for free in a muddy field.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Reinanigans posted:

Yes. What's your point. :colbert:

In all honesty, I know it's at 10 am on Friday, but I've logged in and left the page open so I can be sure to get a seat.

You don't think it might log you out at some point between now and friday morning?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Radiohead71 posted:

Did you get the floor standing tix or actual seats? I got thru and only got an offer for standing floor which I declined. I went back into the queue and got zilch. I don't want to stand for anyone. I'll try some other avenues.

I can't picture wanting to sit on purpose at a rock concert. I always hate it when everyone around me is super old and I feel weird standing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think that's what concert t shirts cost now.