Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Hey cool I'm going to NOS Alive :)

Arcade Fire, Pixies and Radiohead - man it's gonna be unreal!

Spectre is great, let it grow on you.

What else is new since I made the last trainwreck Radiohead thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ITxvYk-DU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doB1h2PnSDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McuHVXgR8dA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFTLxkMmY4M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGWsxWWnI5I

Thom is single!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt-ohn5C3kU

Jonny is awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG8GR1msPpo

My bet for the new album: It's called Dawn Chorus and drops in March on the first day of spring!

Edit:

Here's Ed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQGawYKY3H4

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

King of Limbs was good. The Basement versions were better.

Made me laugh when someone said 'the band played Thoms fruity loops', a dj loop software.

I want a Jonny album, piano, strings, guitars.

In Rainbows is my fave. The old thread was done to death.

I'm glad they are still going and good at 50 years old!!

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Do you like it over Tomorrow's Modern Boxes?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha, to be honest, I forgot about that album almost immediately after it came out. I was so excited that it came out. I made a thread for it here and everything. But then it seemed like no one really cared about it too much. I don't think I've even listened to the whole thing since soon after its release.

But IIRC, the memorable songs on TKOL had more staying power than Tomorrow's Modern Boxes did.

Totes dude.

It wasn't even good enough to be Eraser part 2.

I hope Single Thom starts writing poo poo like True Love Waits again (IE, songs about stuff, not his mid life crisis dubstep photobombing haircut stuff).

Ok so, the big questions now.

Phil's album or Tomorrow's Modern Boxes?

Phil names his songs after idioms exclusively.

Can't wait for Ed's solo album. All backing vocals.

Edit:

Leaked tracklist for Phil's 2nd and 3rd albums.

Alphabetical idioms - lists O :
list O1 : odds and ends → can't make an omelette
list O2 : on the cards → one good turn
list O3 : one hand washes the other → open secret
list O4 : open-and-shut case → out on a limb
list O5 : out to lunch → over and done with
list O6 : over the hill → world is your oyster
Alphabetical idioms - lists P :
list P1 : put through paces → paper tiger
list P2 : paper trail → not a patch on
list P3 : pay dearly for → penny drops
list P4 : in for a penny → no picnic)
list P5 : picture of health → pillar to post
list P6 : (at a) pinch → play with fire
list P7 : play footsie → pleased as punch
list P8 : pluck out of the air→ politically correct
list P9 : pop one's clogs → pour one's heart out
list P10 : power behind the throne → (a) proper do
list P11 : proud as a peacock → push one's luck
list P12 : if push comes to shove → put one's house in order
list P13 : put in one's place → Pyrrhic victory

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 14, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgw3Elrj81o

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Thief has a few songs too many. Goodbye We Suck Young Blood.

There There, though. That's a song right there. Thief has good variety and moods. It is not an LP form kind of album.

There's a ban on ranking Radiohead albums in these threads!

Rank your Thom albums instead!

Eraser
Rabbit in your headlights
Atoms
? Anything else, dj sets and stuff
El presidente
Modern Boxes

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Every Radiohead song in order of release.

So what?

Towering is poo poo. Just go to CitizenInsane

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Tkol is five years old already

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

I liked a few tracks from The King of Limbs (Codex, Lotus Flower, The Butcher which I count because it came out like a month later and you got it for free if you bought the album), but it was a letdown after 3.5 years of waiting after a truly great album. Hopefully they've had some better ideas in the past five. It is the longest they've gone between albums so they should've had some time for writing.

Dusting off Lift either bodes well or terribly, depending on if you find the 2002 version amazing or a sloppy slow reconstruction bearing no relation to the guitar pop original.

Identikit is the bomb though.

Burn the Witch!

... But they ruined Supercollider.

(deliberately not mentioning Videotape)

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

The original version of Videotape exists as a commercial release-quality concert recording, so I've never understood the butthurt about it not making the album like that. We have it both ways. Everybody should be happy.

Well we don't have it both ways;
1) Videotape appears on In Rainbows, this is an album.
2) Say you buy In Rainbows. The other version isn't there.
3) So you have to find the other version and like, compile it yourself.

I get what you're saying but you seem to be pretending the buffed up rework undoes the album Videotape (which I don't even mind!)

You would only be right if you could get In Rainbows in both flavours.

Plus there is something to the idea of the "released studio version" being definitive. Even if many bands, and definitely Radiohead, frequently have better live / radio / basement takes than what's on their albums.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

A human heart posted:

Getting an mp3 and putting it in a playlist is a titanic struggle

Son, I have In Rainbows on vinyl.

Drop your smart assed smarky bullshit and inform me the vinyl editing process! :)

And no dodging it by saying Listen to MP3s instead!

I'll wait. ;)

This thread is gonna be so funny.

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 24, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Sam Smith's song for Spectre won an Academy Award

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah I have a playlist of those called "Kid EP" as its from those sessions. They're all amazing songs, that were just 2001 bsides. Crazy.

Not to mention the album ("Sarky Cogs Swkringround" or something) that's all songs written after OK Computer that were going to be on the followup before it became Kid A (Nude, Pyramid Song, How To Disappear, Last Flowers etc.) but that's more a sequencing thing.

There's always the earlier bsides album - Killer Cars, Talk Show Host, Banana Co etc.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

It would be nice if we had a Radiohead that wasn't just subjective opinion

We had a ban on ranking last time round

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Earwicker posted:

Yes, because it's dumb when the thread devolves into people simply posting lists of the correct "order" of albums. However, subjective opinion is a hell of a lot broader than that. If you eliminate subjective opinion you are left with little other than plain facts like... Radiohead consists of the following members, they released X album on Y date, they will be touring Z countries, etc. which is information that either everyone here already knows or that simply isn't public and available yet.

Yeah, but in a band that's been going since 92 or something, with such a breadth of work, with festival dates being announced, set lists to speculate over, great resources that capture the genesis of the songs, and a new album coming, not to mention tons of side projects, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the 'you guys are all wrong!' posts til the pages are in double figures at least.

Just my two cents. There is a middle ground between ranking and stats :)

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 6, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Popcorn posted:

My Radiohead opinions are objectively correct and I can prove it.

Exactly.

Some people are content to just list "here is my little top five" like that can mean anything to anyone else.

You, sir, as we proved in the ol' threads, not only have your favourites but TALK about WHY and what they mean to you. Syncopated beats, the lot!

All I want is intelligent conversation. If you can make a case for your subjective to be intelligent, well. Go for it.

Too early in the thread for me to ask you for your Amnesiac analysis?

Cause I can't face the evenin' straight....

Popcorn posted:

I think this is exactly right. Radiohead's "classic" songs are known for their climactic releases - "For a minute I lost myself" in Karma Police, the strings swelling in Reckoner, All I Need's big outro, There There and Paranoid Android's guitar freakouts, etc. But The King of Limbs is all about the denial of catharsis, the unbroken water...

There isn't a single crash or ride cymbal anywhere on the album, and that's incredibly revealing.

Yes. Thom's lyrics are indeed good at lending themselves to wholesome, interpretative meanings. Very soulful, and the music does back up a release, as it were.

"Fake Plastic Trees" very cathartic.

"Pyramid Song" I would put forward as a high watermark for however you judge music - lyrically, melodically, production, the time signature, from many an angle it is fine, good, whole music. Synocapated enough, eh Popcorn? :)

King of Limbs has elements of this. My favourite example, probably Give Up the Ghost.

Astrochicken posted:

Spectre feels and sounds exactly like what i would imagine a classic slow burning moody radiohead number done as a schmaltzy bond theme would sound like. It's a neat and gorgeous song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_CwBqKSNno

-------

So!! I'm back from probation.

Is anyone else seeing Radiohead at a festival this year? How excited are you? Objectively.

1. Jonny
2. Thom
3. Colin
4. Nigel
5. The others

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 7, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Jonny still has guitar work, guys.

Hell he just evolved anyway,

Wasn't Ed scoring them strings in Spectre.

Or Big Boots 2

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Astrochicken posted:

Aside from possibly also being considered for a (different) Bond theme, what is the connection between Big Boots and Spectre?

Is this a Zen koan?

They share some of the same notes, but are of a different scale.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Wouldn't it be funny if the new album is TKol part 2

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The vinyl was transparent, really cool

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

gently caress the world and its inhabitants. There was no loving chance of getting tickets in the UK.

Sounds like the Roundhouse shows could be half empty though, seeing as the band just confirmed that IDs will be checked on the door. People will have paid One Thousand English Pounds and will be turned away.

They've wanted Id on the doors for the past two tours.

I'm seeing them in portugal so I'm happy.

Shame they're doing so few UK shows though.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

quote:

Thom Yorke ✔ ‎@thomyorke
I'm as hosed off as you are . and am only human

Poor Thom. Write a song about it, creep!!

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Strangely small tour. I wonder what the reasoning is - carbon footprint?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

The album isn't done!!

http://diymag.com/2016/03/21/radiohead-album-work-of-art-stanley-donwood

THE NEW RADIOHEAD ALBUM IS A “WORK OF ART,” SAYS COLLABORATOR STANLEY DONWOOD

quote:

Radiohead’s close collaborator and artist Stanley Donwood has confirmed to DIY that he has heard the new Radiohead album. “It’s a work of art,” he says.

Donwood has created all of Radiohead’s album and poster artwork since 1995’s ‘The Bends’, along with designing visuals for Yorke’s solo material, and Nigel Godrich and Yorke’s project Atoms for Peace. A new Radiohead album is expected in the first half of this year, following the band’s confirmed Primavera appearance, along with festival organisers billing the headline slot as a “the presentation of the new album by the British band Radiohead.” The band also announced a world tour last week, suggesting that a new record is imminent.

When asked if he had heard the new Radiohead album, and if it was complete, Donwood told us; “I have. Is it done?” he added, “not yet…”

When we first reached out to Donwood over email, he told us “I’m a bit busy at the moment” - surprise, surprise! As always, Stanley Donwood has been working on the artwork alongside Radiohead as they work in the studio, and “there’s quite a lot I still have to do,” he tells us. He also alluded to the fact that Radiohead may have been working on the new record in France. Asked about his favourite art collaboration to date with the band, he said “I’ve just had a think about this, and I think it’s the one that no-one’s seen yet. It was made by the strong warm winds of southern France.” Sounds like a bit of a hint, tbh!

Obviously, we then asked Stanley Donwood to spill the beans, and give us the exclusive scoop on the release date. Unsurprisingly, he wouldn’t. Asked whether the new Radiohead album will be out this year, he responded with a fairly coy “ha ha”. There you go, then.

Meanwhile, Radiohead are the latest inductees to DIY’s Hall of Fame, with their game-changing pay what you like album ‘In Rainbows’. Read our in depth look at the record here.

(Clarification: This interview was conducted via e-mail. Questions were sent in February and Stanley Donwood sent answers back on 19th March)

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Princeps32 posted:

sometimes it is painful being a fan of this band. Something like a two paragraph update on progress with the album would be nice at least once or twice! They did all those neat little updates and clips during the In Rainbows recording sessions, I miss that.

At this point it isn't dumb to suggest the tour comes before the album

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

When I got NOS ALIVE tickets it was temporarily billed as Radiohead present the new album.

I think Stan is definitely talking about the music being finished, since they go 'have you heard it'

When asked if he had heard the new Radiohead album, and if it was complete,

Donwood told us; “I have. Is it done?” he added, “not yet…”

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Crazy Radiohead and their new companies (yes another one)

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10026028

Here's all Thom's companies. Weird

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/65VdXdTzvYHZ8Ek7vxZB6f8xYuw/appointments

Uhoh Thom your accounts are overdue!

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07884244

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 22, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

New musics featuring one of The Radioheads!

Tom Pritchard ft Thom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6rW2GpQLQE

Beautiful People.

"The original instrumental to 'Beautiful People' is a personal song about loss, hopelessness and chaos, but ultimately the message is love and hope," Pritchard said in a press release. "Thom's contribution to this collaboration captured perfectly what the piece is about. I will be forever grateful to have worked with such a immense talent."

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 23, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Seems Nigel is now working with the RHCP, about to be all mixing their album and stuff

Radiohead album done? Cancelled? Postponed? Unaffected? The mind boggles (and sometimes plays Cluedo)

http://pitchfork.com/news/64302-red-hot-chili-peppers-working-with-radiohead-producer-nigel-godrich/

Little by Little content: I like it just fine, and don't even mind it doesn't sound anything like the Oasis or Harvey Danger originals!

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 23, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Haha, Little by Little discussion - so that new track with Thom I posted? I like it. It's no Little by Little though

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

This thread was a wad shot way too early and LP9 is still an unknown. These forums as a whole show terrible taste in things...

I posted an actual song where Thom did guest vocals on and it got no views - no discussion, nothin'. Go over to Reddit if you want to hang on LP9.

Here we just float like jellyfish. People who love Radiohead don't swamp here. This isn't a place of love and sharing. Karma Police is a part of the musical fabric - you can busk it anywhere and people know it. That's cool :)

You think your similar bloops will catch fire Corny?! ;) Maybe. Gave it a listen.

Bless your soul. Post some covers from your friends! That's Radiohead-themed. Liven it up.

I await seeing this band in sunny Lisbon. I want to see what this band means to people who don't link the band to their Chris Morris era Britpop culture enlightenment or American Dubya years... or anything, gently caress tags and labels and filters that must be applied. That is a shot at myself, for this band is now colossal - I am just going to see Radiohead at a festival in Portugal! That's gonna be awesome.

Experience music where you find it.

They have given me an incredible journey full of meaning and wonder and given me threads I have followed. Good people, with a positive effort.

And opinions will seethe and fume for years online, things will get deeper in deeper in the hole, as thinks get ranked, shuffled, hot topics get acerbically bated.

Popcorn old chum, or anyone, I thoroughly recommend this book:

http://stephenwittbooks.com/books/how-music-got-free-hc

It is brilliant. I remember Kid A leaking early. Old's cool.

------------

There is Radiohead news! There is always news. News is a myth anyway.

quote:

Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke has finally put his foot down and used a court order to demand Ted Cruz immediately cease not using “Creep” during campaign events.

Yorke argued that although Cruz is uniquely suited to enter every room ever to this song, he was only being ordered to use it during official campaign events.

“It’s truly unconscionable that this weirdo thinks he can get away with not using this song,” said Yorke. “What the hell is he doing?”

Yorke offered Cruz’s failure to use the song as evidence that he doesn’t belong on the national stage.

http://stubhillnews.com/2016/04/02/radiohead-cruz/

Rather than use the courts, The Lonely Island band said Cruz’s continued failure to use their song “The Creep” would result in a punch in the jeans.

Discuss that all you want!!

-------

Thom tweeted a picture of his skylight. I remembered it from an awkward Kid A interview. Other parts of the internet went crazy (the internet is where crazy lives).

This band. They could play more shows, they know there is demand. But nope. Nope. Thom angrily tweets, he is still stuck inside the machine Pink Floyd warned him about. Syd Barrett would be rolling in his grave if he was really dead.

When LP9 drops I'll listen to it gladly because that's all that matters - the feeling I get when the sound they make hits my ears. I think they will be happy to be judged that way.

Can't wait for the CAN-style "Lost tapes", the Beatles Anthology alternate takes; the mixing desk leaks when they no longer care about their empire of sound, to pore over when I am an old fucker, just look at the Steve Hoffman forums. But they aren't done yet!

Bleep! Bloop! Gentrification!! Anxiety and nausea and unicorns. Thom, are you doing it again?

Thom is 47 years old and may his deity bless him for still getting the old gang back together to unleash something for a reason.

Edit:

Thom walks into the room.

THOM: Bleep bloop! Pause the album lads! Get off the Twitter. The wife's only bloody gone and left Thom Yorke!

THE RADIOHEADS: Ye Gods. The album needs to be re-shuffled on the 1999 Minidisc player then. Unplug the wire Colin. Please not erased. Can we get down to some Coldplay angst or Roots Manuva? Will we get some honest-to-god SONGS? Are you all worked up Thom? Fired up and angry? Want to pick up my Ibanez?Can Jonny just DO?

THOM: (Dancing backwards, with a porkpie hat on) (winks, saucily, into the mirror)

NIGEL: I'll be around still when you're ready lads.

STANLEY (in robot voice like that butler from Clone High): I also *muses, reads new Irvine Welsh novel to kill time*

I'll finish this terrible skit when I know what the next album is "about"

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 3, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Me? Loads mate. Hectic, life, innit. Musing about that Brexit. Yourself?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah. I'm not gonna leak it

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Who tells em

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

I write songs you know. We all do.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Omg Thom wrestlemania-xv is on produce a new album or read a book

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

, I'm using my tablet to type you make s*** on Jericho winning but the thing is new generation need to learn that you apply technique to win that's all it is come on love has gone before don't just live in a little bubble

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Prevent me probate me badly I am the real face of a number of anonymous Dr robot but nothing on me the thing is Rotax spoke to me years ago the thing is somewhere

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Haha before I get banned

Free speech

I held my tablet auto trained to the tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

This is how we get music free

Caps locl used to make sense.

Police come raid me