Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Thought it was curious that Burn the Witch is going to be on a 7" with Spectre. They don't typically release any songs on multiple formats right? Is it possible Burn the Witch isn't even on the LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Where do you see that?

http://pitchfork.com/news/65286-radioheads-burn-the-witch-7-appears-set-for-indie-stores/

chime_on posted:

No, they release singles all the time.

I guess I was just thinking of recent releases, like Supercollider, Staircase, The Butcher, The Daily Mail. Man, what if they had removed the four worst tracks off TKOL and replaced them with those?

Can we use this as space to discuss our favorite non-LP tracks? The obvious answer is Worrywort.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 7, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Radiohead seems to be one of the only bands of their stature that is still managing to keep their albums under wraps and away from leakers (I suppose The Life of Pablo and that second Kendrick Lamar album managed the same), but it's really fun to have a release date that's abided by. It's a little taste of nostalgia. I'd love it if more bands were able to release albums in this fashion.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
At this point, I'm hoping for another sprawling, HTTT-length album. I was pretty disappointed in how short In Rainbows and TKOL were (due in no small part to the fact that I strongly dislike 2-4 songs on each of them).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Definitely a gorgeous album, and I think I like it considerably more on first listen than IR or TKOL, but I'm sad to see that Radiohead just doesn't have another OKC/Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT up their sleeves. The last three albums have really felt like a great collection of songs with no overarching vision or statement of purpose. Definitely a lot to like here though.

I absolutely love the menacing new bass on True Love Waits.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 8, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Eggnogium posted:

I had no idea so many people were disappointed by In Rainbows.

Arpeggi is basically a parody of a Radiohead song. And Bodysnatchers is probably the worst track 2 in their catalog.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

It is their best song.

Top five at least.

What are your other favorites? Radiohead is truly Beatles-esque in their ability to attract fans who love them for completely different reasons.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

All the songs he mentioned are great, but none of them match Weird Fishes, House of Cards or Jigsaw either.

All Radiohead songs and albums are cool and good and it's okay for everyone to like them. :unsmith: Except Pablo Honey.

I think our Radiohead tastes are opposite polarity. Those three songs are basically my least favorite in their catalog post-OKC (I assume your other favorites are Let Down, Knives Out, Punch Up, Little by Little, Mr. Magpie, Give Up the Ghost, Bodysnatchers).

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Basically the only good review of the album I've read comes from non-Radiohead fan Carl Wilson (he likes it). Also his review of Life of Pablo is itself gem.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2016/05/radiohead_s_a_moon_shape_pool_is_prettier_when_you_take_the_band_less_seriously.html

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

At least In Rainbows had rainbow colors and stuff, so it was thematically appropriate, and still a cool abstract image. So it kinda fills that "album art" cliche a little. Where Moon shaped pool has much cooler artwork visually, I think, and I guess it kinda hits some of the dreamy gauziness of the music, but it doesn't really help you understand what the album is about, if that makes any sense. Like the best album art doesn't have to be good "art", but it compliments the music and helps push the story more, so the music makes more sense because the art tells some of the story.

Like this is perfect album art imo: http://imgur.com/SYtHxHJ

You're right. I also find that album covers have a mildly synesthetic effect on my perception of an album. For instance, I hear Loveless as being a very pink/red album, whereas MBV, which has basically an identical sound, feels very blue to me (for obvious reasons). OKC and Kid A have always felt white/black/blue, HTTT and IR is rainbow-ish, etc. So a black and white album cover definitely drains some tone out of an album for me. Is that crazy?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

None of Mozart's, Liszt's, Debussy's or Saint-Saens's albums are anywhere near as good as Radiohead's catalogue, and those guys produced a LOT of albums!!

I know you're just having fun and being hyperbolic... but you do realize that at least two of those composers had such significant contributions to music theory that they demark certain eras in the western canon right?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
So is everyone in agreement that The Numbers basically sounds like an unused song from Sea Change? There's nothing wrong with it per se, but once I noticed that I couldn't stop being bothered by it.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
They also have six albums worth of additional material to play each night, which probably cuts down on the monotony.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

AARO posted:

This is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hgVihWjK2c

Directed by P.T. Anderson

I wish they had performed the whole album right there. This is luxurious.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has every album come with two EPs? It'd be nice to know there's a couple more songs on the way before they pack it up and disappear for 5 more years/break up forever.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Popcorn posted:

Since when has a Radiohead album come with two EPs? Their last EP was Com Lag and that followed HTTT.

Do you mean, like, extra singles and stuff? We had These Are My Twisted Words and Harry Patch a while after IR, and we had Staircase, The Daily Mail, Supercollider and The Butcher shortly after TKOL. There's no reason to expect more stuff from Radiohead soon based on that, but it could happen, sure.

Sorry, I guess I was thinking of singles like Harry Patch/These are My Twisted Words, Daily Mail/Staircase, Supercollider/Butcher, There There/Paperbag Writers/Where Bluebirds Fly etc.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess I'll just never listen to True Love Waits again. Holy poo poo :(

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What's wrong with playing Tel Aviv?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
It's just gonna be a triple-album of covers and remixes. Don't get excited. Or they'll throw in a disc of all the b-sides and alternate versions we already have.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Bonus material is always fun, and I appreciate them releasing it. But if a song has been sitting dormant for over 20 years, especially from a band with a considerable output, it probably wasn't that great.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Had never heard The Air I Breathe before. Wow.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I realized over the weekend that the lovely bad idm radiohead I don't like actually starts in earnest at King of Limbs, not In Rainbows like I thought and IR is actually good.

I don't know why I thought that for so long.

Maybe my brain is just changing because I realized Reflektor from Arcade Fire is also not the lovely rear end terrible album I thought it was either recently. Maybe I just hate when bands make new albums.

I did a reappraisal of IR and KoL right before AMSP came out and I came to the same conclusion: I had been very much underrating IR. KoL is the lone Radiohead album that doesn't seem to get any better with repeated listens.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Making your way backwards through their discography? Hold on to your hat!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The sad thing is they definitely had enough material in and around the TKOL era to make a better album. Just lop off the 2-4 worst songs on the album (take your pick, Mr Magpie, Little by Little, Give up the Ghost, Feral), and subbed in Staircase, Supercollider, The Butcher, and the Daily Mail, you'd have a pretty great album. It still wouldn't be as coherent as any of their other great albums, but it'd be a lot better. Throw in Twisted Words and Harry Patch as b-sides.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Is this confirmed to be his writing? I have no idea how I've never heard of a 25 page review of my favorite album by my other favorite artist.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah that sounds like a loose cover. Same exact chord progression and melody. It even includes the backing vocals of the "social network" version of the song.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

BigFactory posted:

One of my favorite concert memories is seeing Radiohead after amnesiac came out at Suffolk downs in east Boston. It’s a really lovely racetrack now, it might be closed actually, but it was still pretty lovely back then. The stage was set up at the far end of the oval, so when they opened the gates all the kids who had been waiting all day to get front row in the pit had to race down the track that the horses run on. Fat kids and people with bad footwear definitely got beat. Show was good too. The kid a tour was basically non existent so nobody had seen stuff like idioteque live before unless you went to one of the tiny shows in NYC or LA.

The Beatles played at Suffolk Downs. It’s a few years away from being converted into condos.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
That is arguably a demerit

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Probably why they're going out of their way to seem indifferent about it.

I guess. I just wish they could drop the mopey act for one second and find some silver lining in finally joining the rarefied air occupied by previous rock legends such as *checks notes*... Green Day.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Bangers + Mash is low key top 10 Radiohead. It also signaled the direction they’d take for their next, and best album.

I don’t see the connection. Explain?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

Say what you will about their musical output, Radiohead seems like just the most gracious band of their stature. In Rainbows’ release basically created the model for Bandcamp, but I can’t imagine another worldwide band doing that. Especially in 2007.

I’m not disagreeing with you but NIN was co-pioneering this at the exact same time.

Also I think the virtue of it isn’t necessarily black and white. You could argue it either way.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What are the songs with the greatest delta in quality between live performance and studio version (in either direction)? The only thing I can think of as a somewhat consensus pick would be The Gloaming (long considered to be superior live).

I also remember being really let down with how 15 Step turned out after seeing it on that preview tour in summer 2006- they totally EQ’d / compressed the bass out of the beat for the record. I’ve learned to love it since but that was a let down.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

While AMSP isn't my favorite, the one-two hit of Burn the Witch & Daydreaming is a spectacular way to start an album.

Same, but I’d add Decks Dark. That’s a great opening trio. I don’t love the opening 3 track sequencing on HTTT, In Rainbows, or TKOL for various reasons.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
April fools?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think having a basic understanding of harmonic progression and cadences is pretty helpful to writing good music. I mean, Thom might have fantastic intuition with these things, but Jonny’s arrangements are not possible without a masterful handle on music theory.

Also music theory isn’t the same thing as being able to read sheet music. There’s certainly some idioms/eras that would be easier to operate in without any knowledge of theory.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Am I supposed to know what this real estate listing is?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The new How to Disappear Completely sounds like it was written by Johann Johansson as a b-side to the Arrival OST.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I really hope in 2027 or whatever we get an expanded In Rainbows with the aborted self-produced/Spike Stent sessions. The thought that there’s an alternate partial album just hanging around somewhere in their vaults is really cool to me, and those tracks would easily be my Radiohead holy grail.

I don’t know the history behind what you’re describing, but based on how incredibly inessential IR Disc 2 was, can’t we assume that they only have 10-ish viable songs from the era?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Jonny just mentioned at the end of an interview in The New Yorker that Radiohead doesn’t have anything in the works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Congrats to Bends lovers and Eraser haters :(