Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

HorseRenoir posted:

Their last concert should just be "Treefingers" for two hours

Treefingers already feels 2 hours long, no need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ballz posted:

What is with the Feral hate

I'll never understand it. The song is awesome. And it has its own keychain!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Album has too many strings. Doubt it will be my most played RH album but I really like it. RH can't make a bad album and I'm glad they exist.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It's too bad AMSP doesn't open with Ful Stop, and save Burn The Witch for the midpoint.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

turnip kid posted:

"Too many strings" is such a strange criticism. I love bombastic string arrangements. I wish there were more strings, to be honest. Give me strings.

I've been extremely indifferent to Radiohead since 2003, when Hail to the Thief landed with a resounding thud with me, so this is an extremely pleasant surprise. I love the album and am now trying to make amends with the band and give HTTT-King of Limbs another shot.

I get where you're coming from, but this album doesn't have much in the way of bombastic string arrangements...it has gentle, sort of flaccid versions of what Greenwood was already doing better on his PT Anderson scores for the last 7 years.

The first half of this album is really great, but I gotta echo what someone else said, beyond track 5 it's really close to adult contemporary. It's nice to have a song or two that hit that natural idyll (like Codex did, or Sail to the Moon), but a whole album full of them is a bit much for me. There are moments on this album that sound exactly like a Broken Bells album, an accessibility which I don't prefer. I'll probably just cut Identikit and Glass Eyes right out of my rotation, and some of the other stuff on the album is a bit too precious as well.

HttT and KoL are two of my favorite RH albums and I love how out-there both can get, just in terms of the overall abrasiveness and glitchiness of their production. Also, I much prefer the active/alert/paranoid Radiohead to the vulnerable/defeated Radiohead. I agree that this album sounds like a band at the end of the line. :(

I'll probably come around on it.

Probably Magic posted:

I'm not going to lie and say that I listen to every single Hail to the Thief song (though it's Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door that I do skip, which people love, while stuff people dismiss like Backdrifts, I really adore), and that might be what keeps it from being one of my favorite "albums" like In Rainbow was, but Hail to the Thief is definitely my favorite Radiohead album. It's so creepy and yet whimsical in its own strange way, with all the fairy tale allusions, and I'd listen to it regularly walking through wild forests because it captures the paranoia that goes with it so well. Really a fantastic album for me.

I'm with you, there are a few sub-par tracks but overall I think it has more content than any of their albums, and is tied with Amnesiac for my favorite. Of RH's stuff it's my [desert island 'disc']. Also has Radiohead's best cover art.

Ballz posted:

The King of Limbs is a Colin and Phil tour de force and I loving love it.

Princeps32 posted:

Real talk TKOL is flawed but Bloom alone was worth the price of admission, even the first time, because of that rhythm section.

Well said. Bloom is one of their best songs, period.

Probably Magic posted:

I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't absolutely raved about Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door, while I would've been fine with the album ending with Myxomatosis, but I figure I'm the only one who feels that way. That's okay. We can all agree that There There is amazing, so it's all good.

Sometimes on playlists I cut out The Gloaming, I Will, Punch Up..., and Scatterbrain. Just leave the overall order the same and it works really loving well for the flow of the whole.

stuart scott posted:

I like that opinions on all the albums vary. I think it's a testament to the quality of the band that everyone can get something out of every album. I really like Hail to the Thief, and I think it probably holds a particularly special place for people about my age, who were just entering college in 2003 and maybe becoming newly politically aware and angry about the direction that discourse and human interaction were heading. As with all of their albums the temporal context is super important.

I can identify with this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

Almost like a jigsaw...falling into place.

You've activated my trap card!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That review...yuck

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kalensc posted:

In Rainbows contends for best Radiohead album for me, but I've never ever understood the love for House of Cards. There needed to be a "breather" between Reckoner and Jigsaw for sure so it's a fine track within the album, but I do not get the praise people give it as a stand-alone song.

Can someone who really likes the song share why they dig it so much? I'd be curious to listen to it again with a different perspective on it.

Because it reminds me of that movie The Ice Storm.

Steve2911 posted:

For as long as I've loved True Love Waits, I've been certain he said 'To have your babies', rather than 'To have you be at peace'.

It sounds exactly like that in both versions. I can't hear 'be at peace' no matter how hard I try. They have such different connotations. :ohdear:

Wait, it's not babies? Kids are garbage and all but the song was interesting to me for that line alone. You don't hear men say things like that often/at all.

The song is less interesting now... :(

thomas pynchon posted:

The review for the new one (as y'all have said) is t r a s h.

Paperback Writer posted:

this loving Pitchfork guy

No kidding, poo poo's hilarious.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sir Lemming posted:

For reference: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/6656-kid-a/

edit: Just realized that whole stupid paragraph is about a song that isn't even on the freaking album he's reviewing, haha

Just unreal.

Also unreal. :rock:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Am I the only one who hears thunder on Identikit? It might just be bassy drum hits EQd to sound like thundercracks.

Anyway. Dig this, you cats. I seem to have been born with reverse Radiohead genes, because I loved TKOL, but I merely like AMSP. I've listened to it a few times, and I still find it kind of blurry and smudgy and difficult to get a clear view of. That's obviously the point, but still... several of the tracks just run together for me. I can never remember, for example, which song is Desert Island Disk and and which is The Numbers; they are both "folky Neil Young acoustic guitar things with strings". Likewise there are several dreamy piano ballads: Daydreaming, Glass Eyes and True Love Waits. The songs seem to use the same arrangements, with all those strings and the improvised overdubbed twinkling pianos in the left and right channels, and the lack of rhythm. (As I wrote before, the lack of rhythm is one of the things I really miss, and maybe that's why I love TKOL so much.) Only Burn the Witch, Ful Stop and Identikit really stand out in clear definition to me.

True Love Waits leaves me cold. I'm not sure why. It's a song I used to strum on acoustic guitar myself, many years ago, but I'd long made my peace with it and would have been happy to never see it resuscitated. I suppose it would never have worked as anything other than a minimal ballad, but I just find the album version... bland, flat. It's a song that should feel like a relief, a relaxing of tension, but it just sucks all the energy out of the room for me.

I do love Ful Stop though. Why? It's got a driving syncopated Radiohead rhythm section. I suppose that might be all I ever wanted. How disappointing of me.

I'm sort of in this boat. A part of me knows it's a good album, but it's the type of thing I'd listen to in autumn. TKoL was released in spring and it definitively sounds like spring, and it's what I want to hear right now. I think they should've cooked AMSP a bit longer because while a lot of the material on the album is strong the order of the tracks is pretty lame.

I've also been listening to Amnesiac a lot more these days, my favorite, and I'm just absolutely stuck on I Might Be Wrong. I've been listening to that album for more than a decade now but I'd never listened to that song on nice headphones before....HOLY COW, it's like night and day, I will never be able to unhear the intricacy of those arrangements now. What the gently caress was I doing all this time?

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Princeps32 posted:

I disagree with but understand most of your previous points but this one. 11 tracks of satisfying length, the total time about the same as OK Computer, were much appreciated this run following a short album that could have used some more meat.

OK Computer runs too long.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

I never, ever, listen to The Tourist and the album should've ended with Lucky. So OKC is exactly 5 minutes and 27 seconds too long.

TKoL is the perfect length.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

On the one hand this opinion is so blatantly wrong that I want to laugh at you and call you an idiot.

On the other (correct) hand I know I'd be the idiot if I did that and just think it's cool that a band can create songs which result in such completely different viewpoints. The Tourist is awesome and one of the best tracks on OK Computer IMO but yeah, that's just my opinion.

Happy to split the difference and cut both songs. No Surprises is a better ending by far.

Uh oh, nevermind, it would just be a lowly "EP" by that point. :silent:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Unlike films, individual songs or books, albums can't be too long. If there are tracks you don't want to listen to then don't.

Oh trust me, I don't.

But "albums can't be too long" is some whack bullshit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

They can certainly be too short. :)

hoist by my own petard :arghfist::3:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

olin posted:

No no no no no.

You couldn't be more wrong. This is the most Godrichy album Radiohead has ever put out and that's a huge part of why it sounds so great. That Godrich sound on Sea Change and HWGM's Different Ship is distinctively present here. And it's loving beautiful. Nothing sounds flat or muddy. I listened to the album on high end studio monitors and the album is perfectly crisp and lush.

Godrich is probably the greatest producer who has ever lived.

Godrich might have something in common with Phil Spector here in that he should've been more hands off, which is to say that even the greats can stumble. As for Sea Change, it borrowed its shtick from a far superior album.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

I'll bite... which album?

Ballz posted:

Kind of wondering this too. Serge Gainsbourg's Historie de Melody Nelson, maybe? But that was mostly just Paper Tiger ripping off paying homage to it, not the entire album.

I think my earlier comment about The Numbers sounding incredibly familiar may just be how at home that song would feel on Beck's Sea Change. Really, both this album and Sea Change go really well together, both stylistically and thematically. Nothing like a breakup to make a musician bust out the orchestral strings.

Sorry, was at work.

This one.

Well, it ain't just Paper Tiger. I mean the whole album, both technically and thematically, has a strong Serge motif running through it. Beck himself did some backpedaling a couple years after Sea Change to make sure people knew he was giving credit where it was due, so props to him for that. There's even a praise blurb from him on the Melody Nelson reissue.

He even self-produced Charlotte Gainsbourg's badass album IRM.So, full-circle I guess.

Princeps32 posted:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/05/ranking-every-radiohead-song-from-worst-to-best/

tired of ranking albums? let's rank every loving song including b-sides motherfucker

A list that ranks Thinking About You over Dollars and Cents, a shameful list

I'll crack your loving soul, I will

Probably Magic posted:

Electioneering is my favorite song off the album.

What's wrong with Electioneering? What did I miss?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

triple sulk posted:

If AMSP gets its Amnesiac almost immediately, I'm gonna lose my poo poo

Please, please don't tease. I can't take it...

Answers Me posted:

http://pitchfork.com/features/article/9890-internet-explorers-the-curious-case-of-radioheads-online-fandom/?mbid=social_twitter

Interesting read. The way they've built up a mythology over the years through the weird stuff they've done with their website kinda blows my mind. Are there any other bands that are this good at cultivating their mystique and getting people to obsess over every little detail? Maybe Boards of Canada, but not quite to the same extent.

NIN

trem_two posted:

A bit late to Brent DiCrescenzo chat, but this was his towering achievement, Pitchfork even wiped it from their site.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000816191450/www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/s/supergrass/supergrass.shtml

Hahaha, get the gently caress outta here.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 14, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I've never heard of this guy. This album sounds incredible, gonna take me a few more listens to soak it up. Pretty clear that Nigel has borrowed a lot from it - especially the string sound and arrangement.

No prob. Melody Nelson was one of those life-changer albums for me. Definitely check out Charlotte's IRM as well, that album is tits, even if it's a bit more based on contemporary pop structures.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Pyramid Song being the most perfect song Radiohead has ever recorded, and probably my favourite song of all time.

Edit: oops that was meant to be an edit of my post not quoting it

Pyramid Song is on top of mine as well, but then Amnesiac is their best album so...naturally. :agesilaus:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Yeah but on the other hand; kicking and squealing gucci little piggy

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'll be honest I like lists better than live track reactions. :confuoot:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

IceAgeComing posted:

I'm not a huge fan; but I'd dig seeing it live since they do it so rarely. Especially if they perform it like they did last night, Thom actually tried which he sometimes doesn't for older songs

Well, he's single now so he's basically a creep again.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Radiohead is definitive Beach™

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TKoL was awesome from day-one but got lambasted by a bunch of reactionary twerps who felt they deserved a longer album.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Corvo posted:

And then we found out there was a bunch of great b-sides that didn't make it onto the album

2 or 3 of the B-sides are decent, and RH gave them out for free. Anyone can add them to a track list or whathaveyou...but TKoL already flows perfectly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Little by Little is one of my favorites off of TKOL, but can anyone actually hear the syncopation in the studio version? My brain absolutely refuses.

It's all I ever hear in that song.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

So is everyone in agreement that The Numbers basically sounds like an unused song from Sea Change? There's nothing wrong with it per se, but once I noticed that I couldn't stop being bothered by it.

No, we decided that Sea Change is derivative of other albums made 30 years before it, and that The Numbers is probably the best track on AMSP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Now y'all just shitpostin

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ballz posted:

We've had a month to digest AMSP so I think it's long overdue that we... rank Radiohead albums.

For me, it's gotten to the point where I have trouble individually placing albums. What is my all-time favorite Radiohead album? I could argue at length that it's Kid A, or In Rainbows... or even The King of Limbs.

With nine albums to go through I feel like I can only rate them in tiers of three. I have a top 3 favorite albums and any one of them can really be interchangeable, a solid middle three that can also be in any order, and then the bottom three that... ok, those bottom 3 are pretty much set in stone.

So with that in mind:

Tier 1:
-In Rainbows
-The King of Limbs
-Kid A

Tier 2:
-Amnesiac
-OK Computer
-A Moon Shaped Pool

Tier 3:
-The Bends
-Hail to the Thief
-Pablo Honey

Ranking is a very important part of Radiohead threads.

T1:
-Amnesiac
-Hail to the Thief
-Ok Computer

T2:
-The King of Limbs
-In Rainbows
-A Moon Shaped Pool

T3:
-The Bends
-Kid A
-Pablo Honey

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Ranking is a very important part of Radiohead threads.

T1:
-Amnesiac
-Hail to the Thief
-Ok Computer

T2:
-The King of Limbs
-In Rainbows
-A Moon Shaped Pool

T3:
-The Bends
-Kid A
-Pablo Honey

BigFactory posted:

Nah it's the bends because high and dry makes its way on to lots of sunset mixes if youre hanging with babes by the shore.

You bring up an important point. All lists need to include a second Beach Tier list

Beach Tier1
-The Bends
-The King of Limbs
-A Moon Shaped Pool
-OK Computer

Beach Tier2
-In Rainbows
-Amnesiac
-Kid A
-Hail to the Thief
-Pablo Honey

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sand Monster posted:

Please include a gym tier breakdown, as well.

Gym Tier 1

-Pablo Honey

Gym Tier Null

-Amnesiac
-In Rainbows
-Hail to the Thief
-OK Computer
-Kid A
-The King of Limbs
-The Bends
-A Moon Shaped Pool

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

In a world...of pointless news stories that travel at light speed...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

a sober punch-up at a record shop

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Louisgod posted:

Will the physical release have additional unreleased tracks?

The Collectors Edition, yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I know one of you goons bought the collectors edition so upload the tracks for me tia

I did, and I don't know why I jumped. I guess because TKoL had such a cool collector's edition.

Oh well, it's cool to get the CD in addition.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I like bleepbloops actually

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Popcorn posted:

Right. It’s been a month, or two months, or something, and I think my opinion on the new album is pretty much settled. Which is to say, it hasn’t really changed since release. Which is to say, I like it, but not as much as I liked the previous, erm, seven Radiohead albums. Which is a mild bummer.

I liked Burn the Witch from the start, but man, it really is a fine piece of work, some dodgy lyrics aside (see my earlier complaining)… I love the cheery electronic percussion, I love the gliding strings in the second verse, and most of all I love the chorus melody. The jubilant feeling of the music and the creepy fairy tale lyrics put it well in HTTT territory, but with modern Radiohead’s high-production-value orchestral gloss. I still think it needs a proper outro but we'll keep quiet about that.

The other track that really grew on me is Tinker Tailor. It reminds me a lot of Amnesiac, with its eerie synths, retro percussion and jazzy drumming, but the outro is pure Portishead. It's the one track on AMSP that really opened up to me on repeated listening, which is what traditionally happens with Radiohead songs; everything else on the album seemed to arrive disappointingly fully-formed to me, no further secrets to unpick, no riddles to solve…

I like Identikit, particularly the brittle guitar tone - but I still say it’s overstuffed, like they suddenly had a crisis of confidence. The simpler 2012 arrangement brought out the song in better detail. Ful Stop is also good, especially in the rhythm section, yet somehow never quite ramps up to the extent I want it to.

The new acoustic emphasis is where the album is weakest, I think. I still confuse Desert Island Disk with The Numbers; they are both blandly pleasant hippie songs, without strong identities of their own. I’m honestly surprised to hear this kind of thing coming from Radiohead at this point. The Present Tense almost falls into the same trap (I really think the percussion is particularly lame) but it’s rescued by a lovely, flowing melody.

I don’t get True Love Waits. I just don’t get it. It’s boring. Wishy-washy. It has no effect on me. I always liked the song but I’d long since made my peace with it. Don’t need it here. Playing it on piano feels like a lazy shorthand for “sad emotional song” that doesn’t pay off.

For me the biggest failing is the lack of focus. A lot of these songs just feel so fuzzy-edged to me, out of focus. And that’s what TKOL was so good at avoiding.

I think you have some really good points here, and in general I'd agree that AMSP lacks identity compared to something like tKoL or HttT, but there's definitely room in the Radiohead catalogue for an album that relaxes its grasp a bit. For me The Numbers is a standout track, along with Tinker Tailor, Burn the Witch, and Daydreaming.

As I originally posted Ful Stop as an opener would've improved the album on the whole. Burn the Witch already commands so much attention that it doesn't need to be frontloaded.

It's a good album, a bit more on the passive listening side of things, but certainly nice to paint to, or sit in a hammock to, also beach music derail :regd08:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hyphens are some dogshit.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

yes... finally a venue where i can shove my opinion of TKOL>AMSP onto others

Umm, facts aren't opinions, dude.

edit; Whoa nelly at that Pablo Honey section :haw:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 6, 2016