Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Steve2911 posted:

Unlike films, individual songs or books, albums can't be too long. If there are tracks you don't want to listen to then don't.

????

Do you regard albums as random collections of songs?

Do you regard songs as random collections of sounds?

Mutant Standard posted:

Thom Yorke seemed pretty blatant in saying that they didn't really swing for the fences on TKOL.

No he didn't. Ever.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Is it just my imagination or is the rhythm track on Ful Stop pretty much the same as Bodysnatchers?

Yep, it's almost the same - snare on the backbeat, syncopated kicks. Which is probably why I like it so much. But it's more complicated, with fills and some extra snare work from Clive.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 13, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Decades posted:

Similar though bodysnatchers is in 4/4 while Ful Stop's a weird kind of 6/4 or 6/8. Not sure exactly, but as a drummer I'd count it as six beats. It's neat.

It's 6/4. But that doesn't make a huge difference to the drumming.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I am astonished by the lead guitar tone on Identikit. It sounds brittle and strung-out.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Stanley's art is great. AMSP is the exception.

I dig the Burn the Witch single art.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Princeps32 posted:

I can't source it but I think I remember reading Jonny in particular really hated the song, stating that he couldn't listen to the album because of it.

This is one of those things like "Ed wrote Street Spirit" that fans say from time to time but never, in all my years of nerd fandom, have I ever found evidence of.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

This just got stuck on their site:

So much lovelier than the actual art.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I'm actually still not entirely sure how the In Rainbows art was done. I know it's wax and ink, but there's a step I'm missing somewhere, because it's goddamn gorgeous.

He filled syringes with paint and squirted them at canvases.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Holy poo poo, Burn the Witch sounds like a HTTT-style rocker live. Completely different arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhHJc0mJO8

Most of the whole gig here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XithTcxKqBE

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 21, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

That arrangement of Burn the Witch confirms that it has one of the best choruses Radiohead have ever written. A soaring, thrilling melody. Works just as well here as it does on the record.

The tom drum intro also fits the theme well - it's evocative of flaming torches, rituals, tribalism. But it also sounds jubilant.

... It also confirms that the song ends too suddenly, though.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 21, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I'd like Down is the New Up and especially The Butcher. Both would be perfect for the two-drummer setup and I was surprised and disappointed they didn't play them on the TKOL tour.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

AARO posted:

Piss off; lists are fun.

They're really not. They're the opposite of conversation. Write something about your favourite stuff, don't just list it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

AARO posted:

That was the first ranking list I've ever made. Never even occurred to me to make a list about something else. So it was new to me.

Yes, for some reason Radiohead does this to people.

Nonetheless lists are banned in the rules thread, and have been for a long time.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

loving hell, Ful Stop is a furious whirlwind live. Sounds like I'm speeding through a dark tunnel to OBLIVION.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Please enjoy this mashup of Lotus Flower + J-pop: https://soundcloud.com/raggadociob/uugirlvsradiohead

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Little by Little is one of my favorites off of TKOL, but can anyone actually hear the syncopation in the studio version? My brain absolutely refuses.

Nope. Every time I listen to that song I'm conscious of the syncopation I know is there but can't feel, a bizarre tension I find weirdly addictive.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Since people seem to be confused: syncopation is not at all unusual. It's just when some element in a song (a kick drum, the notes in a bassline, a melody, whatever) fall between the normal beats of a song, instead of exactly on the beat. It's in ten billion zillion pieces of music.

The thing Radiohead do repeatedly is hide the syncopation, so you think the stuff is falling on one beat, but actually you're hearing the beat wrong. They do it on Identikit, for example; they cut off the first beat of the drum track, so for the first few bars of the song, you're feeling it "wrong". It's intentionally disorienting and cool as gently caress and yes, as Zodiac points out, I do never stop going on about it, but, well, since people seem to be asking...

edit: here is the most notorious example, the "correct" way to hear Videotape (ie how the band hears it but no one else): http://popcorn.gunsha.com/videotape%20syncopated.mp3

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 31, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Volte posted:

Yeah you're right nobody else ever hears it that way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH3GGREPj-c#t=2m30s

I guess this is some sort of clever irony post, but this is the version of the song they abandoned; the point is they buried the syncopation on the record.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I always kinda thought they just ditched the syncopation for the record. Instead of being on the ee of one it's just on the one, the way you hear it initially in either version.

It's all philosophical, of course, but...

I'd argue that the syncopation is still there on the record. The main clue is the 909 snare that enters in the final bars, on the backbeat.

When they play it live (after the record came out I mean), the band also still feels it syncopated. For example, take the Feet East performance; Thom has trouble feeling the syncopated beat. He asks Jonny to turn the drum machine hi-hats on so he can find it again. In Thom's words: "Temporary loss of information.”

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Annoyingly the newly re-uploaded "I Will (LA Version)" is the misprinted version released on Com Lag and not the real LA version. I hoped they'd fix that.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

68k posted:

I'm still curious what happened with this. I bought a FLAC download of Com Lag a while back, and it had the incorrect version of "I Will" on it. From what I read, it's the version from the old HttT leak. If that's true, that doesn't make any sense to me how that could happen.

Yeah, it's the unmastered version from the HTTT leak, which has a few minor differences, like extra reverb or something. it's weird. Must've been a mix-up down at the Radiohead factory.

It's especially annoying considering the LA version rules and is definitely deserving of wider listening. I personally think it's better than the album version.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

It was a B-side to the 2+2=5 single.

Look, here's a new Radiohead thing, some kind of live webcast-y event happening at record stores around the world: Live From a Moon Shaped Pool

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

As far as I know there are no pro recordings of live AMSP stuff available yet. That might change on Friday though.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 12, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Princeps32 posted:

I know we're a long way out from the OK Computer misery period but it still makes me happy that they seem to enjoy touring so much now.

Jonny says he doesn't understand bands who complain about touring because it's great fun.

Didn't Radiohead make an entire documentary of complaining about touring?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You had to piss on our parade / you had to shred our big day / you had to ruin it for all concerned

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Dead thread

Where's popcorn

Right. It’s been a month, or two months, or something, and I think my opinion on the new album is pretty much settled. Which is to say, it hasn’t really changed since release. Which is to say, I like it, but not as much as I liked the previous, erm, seven Radiohead albums. Which is a mild bummer.

I liked Burn the Witch from the start, but man, it really is a fine piece of work, some dodgy lyrics aside (see my earlier complaining)… I love the cheery electronic percussion, I love the gliding strings in the second verse, and most of all I love the chorus melody. The jubilant feeling of the music and the creepy fairy tale lyrics put it well in HTTT territory, but with modern Radiohead’s high-production-value orchestral gloss. I still think it needs a proper outro but we'll keep quiet about that.

The other track that really grew on me is Tinker Tailor. It reminds me a lot of Amnesiac, with its eerie synths, retro percussion and jazzy drumming, but the outro is pure Portishead. It's the one track on AMSP that really opened up to me on repeated listening, which is what traditionally happens with Radiohead songs; everything else on the album seemed to arrive disappointingly fully-formed to me, no further secrets to unpick, no riddles to solve…

I like Identikit, particularly the brittle guitar tone - but I still say it’s overstuffed, like they suddenly had a crisis of confidence. The simpler 2012 arrangement brought out the song in better detail. Ful Stop is also good, especially in the rhythm section, yet somehow never quite ramps up to the extent I want it to.

The new acoustic emphasis is where the album is weakest, I think. I still confuse Desert Island Disk with The Numbers; they are both blandly pleasant hippie songs, without strong identities of their own. I’m honestly surprised to hear this kind of thing coming from Radiohead at this point. The Present Tense almost falls into the same trap (I really think the percussion is particularly lame) but it’s rescued by a lovely, flowing melody.

I don’t get True Love Waits. I just don’t get it. It’s boring. Wishy-washy. It has no effect on me. I always liked the song but I’d long since made my peace with it. Don’t need it here. Playing it on piano feels like a lazy shorthand for “sad emotional song” that doesn’t pay off.

For me the biggest failing is the lack of focus. A lot of these songs just feel so fuzzy-edged to me, out of focus. And that’s what TKOL was so good at avoiding.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Radiohead are the best band and any act that is not trying to sound exactly like them is wasting their time.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

My other persisting bugbears: that title, and that artwork.

The title is just plain bad. I probably complained about it before here, can't remember, but it just doesn't work, because what shape is a moon? A circle? A sphere? A sphere-shaped pool? There's nothing specific about the shape of the moon that lends itself to anything being "moon-shaped". Something that is moon-shaped is also ball-shaped, or orange-shaped, or clock-shaped. Unlike, say, something being banana-shaped, which is specific and concrete. You dig me? It doesn't work, it doesn't scan. (And I'll never get over that missing hyphen.)

I find the artwork so bland I find it somehow actively annoying. Of all the gorgeous stuff Stanley came up with this time, they went with that?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Ballz posted:

If someone is describing the shape of the moon, they often describe it as a crescent.

But that's the other thing. "A Crescent-Shaped Pool" would have been a much more specific image. But that isn't what the album's called. Why allow for that lovely ambiguity?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

it's not a moon-shaped pool

it's a moon shaped pool

as in it's a pool that's shaped by the moon

That would still be a moon-shaped pool, with hyphen. For example "hand-written letter" or "self-taught painter".

Putting aside its shiteness as a poetic image, the grammar in the title is a gently caress-up. If there's one thing this album has taught us it's that no one understands hyphens.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 4, 2016

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Someone has made a site thing where you can rank Radiohead songs for ever: http://thenumbers.rocks/

It's annoyingly absorbing. And the more people use it, the closer to the truth it gets.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

And I don't care if it makes me a plebe, I can't stand Godrich's production here.

Can you elaborate on this?

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

First soundboard recording of an AMSP gig here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpcSmwdUV4s

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

TheAbortionator posted:

I like doing lots of things, but if I was really good at one thing, and the people who paid me for doing that thing were like, "hey you have to do this tell it stops making us money or you go crazy" I probably wouldnt like doing that thing for a long while. Looking it up, touring OK Computer (and this was only after they started filming the doc) it was 104 dates long, and the amount of press they were doing was also way way way more then you would get from them now.

Indeed, and I'm not one of those people who thinks Radiohead look like a bunch of ungrateful dicks in that documentary. Just weird to hear Jonny saying touring's a bag of laughs and always has been, considering Radiohead's particular history.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

Has every album come with two EPs? It'd be nice to know there's a couple more songs on the way before they pack it up and disappear for 5 more years/break up forever.

Since when has a Radiohead album come with two EPs? Their last EP was Com Lag and that followed HTTT.

Do you mean, like, extra singles and stuff? We had These Are My Twisted Words and Harry Patch a while after IR, and we had Staircase, The Daily Mail, Supercollider and The Butcher shortly after TKOL. There's no reason to expect more stuff from Radiohead soon based on that, but it could happen, sure.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

hughesta posted:

are there any songs we know for sure were recorded for AMSP but not used other than Lift and Ill Wind? we already got one, and I can't imagine they'd just put Lift out by itself. Maybe Cut A Hole?

No, there's nothing else we know about.

Also, we don't know they recorded Lift for AMSP. Jonny mentioned they had worked on it recently, but that might not mean they actually got a version together they recorded.

publishko posted:

My long-shot hope is that they put out another album early next year in a Kid A and Amnesiac sort of deal, seeing as AMSP was so light on b-side material compared to almost every other one of their albums other than Kid A, but that might just be wishful thinking.

Yes, I think this is super unlikely.

Radiohead are touring again next year so if we're lucky they might still be tinkering with things on the side and we'll get another single or two sometime in the next 12 months, as we did after TKOL. But there are no guarantees.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Anyone know what's up with the words that are underneath the lyrics?

Probably words culled from earlier drafts of the lyrics. Almost certainly contributed by Thom either way. He might just given Stanley random words from his notebooks to assemble into cool patterns or whatever.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yeah, and Ed confirmed it in a radio interview recently too. I'm 99% sure they were already announced as a headline act at a 2017 festival but I can't find the announcement now.

I've got a funny feeling about Glastonbury 2017.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Popcorn posted:

I've got a funny feeling about Glastonbury 2017.

Radiohead posted:

Friday 23 June 2017 - Glastonbury Festival.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BLyQBXmB9zl/