Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
The Daily Mail is kind of the mini-sequel "bad president" song.

I do wonder if Trump and Brexit might get Thom writing angry stuff again. AMSP is so mellow, for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

The movement itself is widespread, I meant more with regards to musicians specifically. I don't really keep up with current events in music or anything really so as far as I knew it was basically Roger Waters and everybody he'd managed to send a letter to. My info's probably a few years out of date though.

Nigel produced Roger's latest album, so they probably know his opinion at least.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Yep, that song's probably about as good as it was ever going to be, which is to say it's fine.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

This is like a window into a horrible parallel universe where Radiohead kept releasing The Bends over and over again for 20 years.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

It's a typically Thom Yorke "angry" response. It's odd that it came out this way. Imagine if, instead, Jonny (who always seems clear-headed and patient, and has the wife card to play) had written a letter explaining the band's reasons for playing there, specifically addressing the concerns and how they don't think the boycott helps anything.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 2, 2017

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The big point Thom misses when he says "It's deeply disrespectful to assume that we're either being misinformed or that we're so retarded we can't make these decisions ourselves" is that no one cares if they're misinformed or "retarded". If you think the boycott is morally necessary, then you have to condemn breaches of the boycott. And you can't do it behind closed doors because then there's no pressure. If Thom saw someone stealing a wallet, he presumably wouldn't shrug and go "well, I guess that person knows what they're doing".

Instead he should be explaining why he thinks the boycott is bad news. And talking a bit less about his hurt feelings.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

We're definitely getting old versions of Nude, Motion Picture Soundtrack and The National Anthem, at least. That was confirmed by a magazine review this week.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

The source for that is Record Collector Magazine so it's almost certainly reliable. Also a very reputable trusted atease poster - yes, they do exist, maybe only one though - says s/he's heard it and there's even more poo poo on the tape than the magazine review mentioned and everyone's going to be very happy.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Is that tape getting any official digital release or is it exclusively for the box buying elite?

The boxset comes with a download code.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

I honestly can't tell the difference.

Maybe How I Made My Millions is cleaner?'

I can't tell the difference in sound quality, but there is at least one change I noticed: the synth arpeggios that play on the outro to Let Down now start a lot earlier and continue all the way through the last chorus.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Bishop's Robes was a Bends B-side, not OKC.

None of the three new songs are up to snuff really, which is understandable because, you know, they weren't released. But I'm surprised that I Promise wasn't a B-side at least, since it was obviously finished. Unlike Lift, which is so obviously, tragically, a half-hearted demo take... I was never as head-over-heels in love with the song as some fans, but it deserved better than that.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

It was first released on the Street Spirit single in January 96.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

To be fair, it was recorded between The Bends and OKC IIRC with Nigel Godrich, so it was kind of a transitional song, along with Talk Show Host.

Some might say it was their transitioning from sucking to owning, but that's another matter.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

After a few listens to the whole second disc Man of War is a really, really standout track. It could have easily been part of OKC.

Agreed that it's the strongest of the three new tracks, but on OKC? Seriously? It has none of the themes or textures of that album.

I still think there's something a little half-baked about it, anyway. I was never super keen on it, and was happy to leave it in the Bends graveyard... I find the opening riff boring, that three-note progression has been done a trillion times. The production is weird in some way I can't place, perhaps a symptom of it seemingly having been stitched together from old and new recordings? It reminds me of that album of unfinished, unreleased Michael Jackson tracks they stitched together with new stuff five minutes after he died, Frankenstein-style. You can tell there's something uncanny about them.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 25, 2017

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

Wasn't aware of that. On first listen there's some similarity but... Enough to win a lawsuit?

I really think they deserved the lawsuit. You can sing the entire "sheeee's running out" section over the verse. They even owned up to it.

What's amazing to me is that so many bands, particularly Muse and Coldplay, were derided for supposedly aping Radiohead early in their careers, and yet the fact that what remains Radiohead's biggest ever hit single was so obviously plagiarised they actually got sued is barely known even by fans. Sure enough, regardless of what you think of those bands, Muse and Coldplay had transformed their sounds within a few years, just as Radiohead did.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Anonymous John posted:

Yes, I too remember when Coldplay changed their sound and then got sued by Joe Satriani over Viva La Vida.

Ahaha touche, though I think that guy had way less of a case.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

I can only see a big vagina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Jables88 posted:

Radiohead's statement mentioned that they wanted credit to go to 'all the writers of Creep' so they are clearly acknowledging that it's already a song for which credit is shared.

To be very precise, Radiohead didn't issue that statement. Their publishers did. This whole thing might be happening completely independently of Radiohead, who don't even own the entirety of Creep.