Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The King of Limbs also has the worst album art in Radiohead's career - yep, worse than The Bends. That was a big disappointment to me because flipping through the booklets that came with OK Computer and Kid A were some of my formative music memories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

they also updated their facebook image stuff - the art for the new album will probably mirror this:

it's very interesting!! From a pure design perspective, it's much, much better than King of Limbs. But it's very hard to read to mood / tone of this. Feels lighter and higher energy than anything since OK Computer. The typeface and color are very poppy. Who knows!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I thought the best thing about The King Of Limbs was its artwork,

We need a feature like the ignore list, except it's just a "discard my opinions" list

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Now if only they'd go back and delete King of Limbs! ha ha!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I like the verse but the chorus falls really flat for me - I think it needs a change of instrumentation there. Thom sings a long sustained high note and the reverb gets cranked up but the strings continue basically unchanged. This is one of those tracks that will probably sound better live because the band will be reacting to one another, as opposed to Thom singing over a prerecorded Johnny Greenwood recording.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Real Name Grover posted:

Goons, what're those strings (particularly at the beginning) reminding me of? I swear I've heard something similar in a Final Fantasy game or somewhere.

At first I scoffed at this post, but then I realized you might be thinking of Final Fantasy the artist, a.k.a. Owen Pallett from the Arcade Fire. He released an album called He Poos Clouds under the moniker Final Fantasy that's pretty heavy on stacatto strings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuzmxuGIjw0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nfw_X-rtJ70

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:45 on May 3, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

So the album is out in less than 8 hours.

Does it have a name yet?

For some reason I think it's going to be self-titled. I also think it's gonna be their last album as a band, and a self-titled final album would be a great way to end it.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

They've talked a billion times about how difficult / painful it is for them to make proper albums by this point, to the degree that people thought they had essentially broken up in the period before King of Limbs. Plus they're old, they each have good solo careers, and Radiohead has been around for a long-rear end time.

edit: this is the one I was thinking of:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/radiohead-recording-a-new-album-would-kill-us-1770268.html

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 8, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Less than 2 hours!!

It's out 2pm EST - one hour later than you think.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

What's with these reviews?

When huge records are released reviewers freak out and ramp up their literary prose in an attempt to make names for themselves - when's the next time a million people will read one of their reviews? The vast, vast majority of album reviews go mostly unread.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 12, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Yeah there are quite a few syncopationed bands and songs out there nowadays if you're into dubstep drums

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Luckily, they left the song very melodied and harmonied, which very few bands do anymore... you pretty much only hear it in dubstep nowadays

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

In Rainbows is now on Spotify. wahoo one less reason to open iTunes

Can't wait to joyfully give Radiohead $.001 this morning

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Now that trump is president it's time to listen to some motha fuckin Hail To The Thief baby!

Mutant Standard posted:

really feeling AMSP now that we're living in a nightmare hellworld

No! Hail To The Thief is the definitive radiohead "Bad President" album.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 18, 2016

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, I probably didn't NEED to purchase the deluxe edition but here we are.

I can't even imagine how many times i've listened to OKC in the past 20 years so I feel like it's worth it.

I think the only money I've spent on OKC was buying the standard-rear end compact disc for $15 in high school.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

I can't stop listening to the new version of Lift on the hacked minidiscs!

By modern standards it's a bit lofty and maybe even stadium-rock corny. But it carries a lot of weight — it's strange to listen to this track and realize that it probably would have been an enormous hit and redefined the band's popularity, but instead it sat collecting dust in a bin.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Action Serious posted:

And this post is when I realize I forgot to buy it. poo poo!

poo poo!!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

IMHO In Rainbows is innovative because it showed that Radiohead wasn't a one-way road . When Hail to the Thief came out, lots of people would point to songs like The Gloaming or Backdrifts and say "ah, yes — this is what Radiohead will sound like in the future," as if all the band were capable of is a long, linear slide into ambient bloopy electronic music. But is that really innovation? If their next album had been the most echoey, the bloopiest, the starkest electronic album to date, would that be interesting? Or would that have been what everyone expected? In Rainbows opens with 15 step, a 5/4 track that blends rock and electronica and rocks really loving hard... who would expect Radiohead to simply start rocking again? Bodysnatchers is an even more direct and simple rock track... then later on you have tracks like Reckoner and Faust Arp, which were some of their most lush songs to date and sound like nothing they'd really done before. Anything felt possible in the band's future after In Rainbows.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Pontificating rear end posted:

Someone gets really excited when Thom says he's going to play Fog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rDdAIOxAPo&t=2375s

This audio became a B-side I think?

Yeah this version is on the Com Lag EP and sounds really good. I had a friend in college with a ridiculously nice, antique baby grand piano jammed into the living room of their tiny house... it had been in their family forever... Fog was the first song I learned to play beginning-to-end that I actually liked (a song I wanted to play, vs a boring classical song I didn't actually want to play)

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 22, 2020