Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My custom HTTT playlist goes:

2+2=5 / Sit Down, Stand Up / Where I End and You Begin / Go To Sleep / Sail to the Moon / I Will / Punch Up / Myxomatosis / Scatterbrain / There There / Gagging Order / Wolf at the Door

(I put the missing songs on a companion Com Lag playlist). I don't dislike the original album, but I don't think it flows particularly well. There There is practically the climax of the album in my mind, but it's right there in the middle and the album just kind of coasts along after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
So did all of the pre-IR albums. They were just EMI cash grabs featuring already existing material and the band promptly memory holed them when they got the rights to the recordings back (though technically they still exist on Spotify, sans the songs that aren't on there otherwise)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The extra songs on the Collectors Editions are definitely great, but aside from the convenience of having those songs on one CD (which isn't much of a convenience in the streaming era), they don't really offer anything to make it worthy of being a "special edition". It's more like one of those old discount Playstation Classics "two classic games in one package" releases as opposed to any kind of elaboration on the original idea, which is probably why the band wanted them forgotten about.

edit: as far as B-sides not being included on Kid Amnesia, I think that was mainly Thom and Stanley's art project and they still had plenty to say and all the material still available to say it with, so filling it up with stuff that was left off the album in the first place wasn't their priority. I think that if OKC had a lot more stuff left over that was usable, we wouldn't necessarily have gotten the B-sides on that either.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 6, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought the opposite. Other than I Promise, Man of War is a great song but it was likely recorded largely during the AMSP sessions, and they released a comparably lame version of Lift compared to the version they actually finished for OKC. The coolest part was the cassette and that wasn't even available to most people unless you pirated it. The whole Kid Amnesia project was done in a cool way that made it feel like a real revisiting of the original albums and not just a compilation album in an era where compilation albums are essentially obsolete.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm surprised Bending Hectic won't be on the record. I got the impression that was kind of the centerpiece of the new material from last tour. The studio recording is incredibly good though, I love the Penderecki-esque breakdown.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That last one sounds very much like I Will / Spinning Plates, though I don't actually think his voice sounds too much like Thom's. Ironically I think he sounds more like Chris Martin, especially in the first linked track.

edit: I also hear some early Steve Winwood e.g.,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLK3dPPryiw

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 1, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Radiohead's music embodies anxiety way more than depression, but people aren't experts at articulating their mental state in general (especially in the 90s) so it got filed under "depressing". How to Disappear Completely in particular is pure anxiety.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Wall of Eyes, or at the very least some of the lyrics, dates back to The King of Limbs, since some early fragments of it were included in the promotional newspaper they released at the time to promote TKOL, including the big graphic in the center featuring the text "Let us raise our glasses to what we don't deserve".

There was also a fan rumour (some might say delusion) that an EP called "Wall of Ice" was going to come out after King of Limbs.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

hughesta posted:

Wall of Ice was pre-TKOL, people thought it would be an EP with Twisted Words/Harry Patch
Whoops you're right, I was conflating it with the imaginary followup to TKOL

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Also 8 tracks doesn't mean much, I imagine they had more but decided to cut a couple and replace them with Bending Hectic which originally wasn't going to be on the album, as far as I know? There's some songs they've been playing live for a while that aren't on the tracklisting so I'm sure there's plenty of b-sides laying around somewhere that may (but probably won't) be released.
All they said was Bending Hectic wasn't an album single, which was true. They weren't releasing it in promotion of an upcoming album. The album mix seems to be a bit different as well. My guess is there are 8 songs because that's all they managed to get recorded that they were happy with.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think HTTT is almost a good album, but a bit bloated and not sequenced particularly well. I have my own track list for when I do want to listen to it.

TKOL is a great album but I think the stuff really shines live. The album version of Lotus Flower is mellow, but the live version has way more energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiaf-ErX1Ow&t=43s

Magpie really rocks live too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ko-qRJVME&t=34s

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the only track they actually left off TKOL was The Butcher. The rest was finished and released after TKOL came out. I could see The Butcher on there, but the other ones don't really fit the chopped, looped, and sampled nature of the other tracks on there. I think the post-TKOL, pre-AMSP era is almost its own era, with heavier use of synths and grooves with tracks like Staircase, Supercollider, Identikit, and Ful Stop. As much as I love AMSP, I do kind of wish we got a followup to TKOL that went deeper into that sound.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

HD DAD posted:

Weirdly, it was also the earliest song worked on from what would become In Rainbows, dating back to 2004.
Nude would like a word

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Twisted Words came out and was first performed during the In Rainbows tour

edit: It was accompanied by art reminiscent of the TKOL art though, so the association is pretty natural

Volte fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 30, 2023

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Twisted Words feels closer to the Amnesiac B-sides than TKOL. It has the same dark vibes as like Fast-Track, Kinetic, Orgy.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jewmanji posted:

Is there a good version of the pre-ASMP Identikit on Youtube someone can share? I'm not sure I've heard it.

https://www.radiohead.com/library/#tkol/2012-03-06-austin-city-limits

Skip to about 27:30 for Identikit, but the whole performance is great

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Speaking of, I can't remember what song it was now but I saw someone post a clip of Jonny on Reddit a while back and he was playing keyboard with the headstock of his guitar (modified so it was thin enough to hit single notes) while playing guitar :stare:
He does that in Street Spirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXy5xdwJaIY&t=4980s

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Extremely strong album, no real weak spots. If I had to pick one disappointment, it's the muddy reverb-laden production on the climax of Bending Hectic. Otherwise it exceeded my expectations in every way. You Know Me is an incredibly good album closer.

edit: Weird, I've only listened to ALFAA like three times because it struck me as an insanely mellow album aside from a couple of tracks, whereas Wall of Eyes feels like it has a bit more teeth, even in the slower songs, largely thanks to way more interesting production. I've already listened to it three times and it held my interest the entire way.

Volte fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 26, 2024

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm so confused about all the descriptions of this album as "sleepy", or any Radiohead music for that matter. Read The Room is sleepy music?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sir Lemming posted:

Also I somehow missed, before, that Bending Hectic is describing some kind of car crash and it's so much more chilling now, and the first part keeps my attention better than it used to, knowing how it's going to end.
I think it's even darker than that. The slings and arrows part evokes that famous speech from Hamlet, where Hamlet is contemplating suicide:

quote:

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them?
The song starts out describing coming up to a hairpin turn on a mountainside, then in a frozen moment in time he sees the two possible outcomes playing out simultaneously ("I swear I'm seeing double"): let go of the wheel and go over the edge, or force himself to turn. In the climax, the moment passes, and he triumphantly forces himself to turn.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I like the two part nature of Read the Room. Kind of reminds me of Transatlantic Drawl in that way.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think both albums are pretty thematically in line with most of Thom's writing, which is to say loosely connected via a thread through both abstractly personal songs and songs about the news and society in general, with The Smile definitely leaning into the latter a lot harder than Radiohead tends to. The lyrics of that lost In Rainbows-era song Bodies Laughing (as sung on the last Smile tour) revealed it to pretty explicitly be about that bizarre UK fad of "happy slapping" that was in the news circa 2005-ish so I'm not at all surprised that they shelved it as being thematically totally wrong for In Rainbows, while equally not being surprised that The Smile dragged it back out. Looking forward to hearing a studio version of that one actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I didn't get a W.A.S.T.E. email today (yet?), but he's doing a movie soundtrack so I imagine it probably has something to do with that.