Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've been super-hyped for this ever since I heard Full Stop (Ful Stop?) from the 2012 bootlegs, which has the potential to be my favorite Radiohead song in years. I know there's no guarantee it'll be on the new album in recognizable form, or at all, but it sure as hell didn't sound like another track destined for obscurity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The original version of Videotape exists as a commercial release-quality concert recording, so I've never understood the butthurt about it not making the album like that. We have it both ways. Everybody should be happy.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

ZoDiAC_ posted:

The vinyl was transparent, really cool

Haha, I never took the vinyl out of the sleeve, so I never knew this.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Princeps32 posted:

Even some of the Pablo Honey b-sides are inexplicably better than the actual album.

Faithless, the Wonder Boy is a fun glimpse of an alternate universe where Thom Yorke was the frontman for Weezer.

Also the Drill/Itch version of Thinking About You is far superior to the album version.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Mutant Standard posted:

this is Thom Yorke's alternate tracklist for hail to the thief

there there
the gloaming
sail to the moon
sit down. stand up
go to sleep
whereiendandubegin
scatterbrain
2+2=5
myxomatosis
a wolf at the door

it works much better imo

I like that it cuts the tracks I don't think work very well on the album, but sticking 2+2=5 somewhere in the middle is so wrong. Hail to the Thief is a flawed album, but it has the strongest opening of pretty much any Radiohead album except for Kid A.

Of the cut tracks, Punchup at a Wedding is a particularly good song, but I don't think I ever recognized that until I had it come up in shuffle. Even now, it's an album where I inevitably tune out at some point until Myxomatosis regains my attention.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The early live Identikit didn't really click with me, but I absolutely adore this version. In a three-way tie with Ful Stop and Present Tense for my favorite track on the album at this point.

Only tracks I think I don't love are Burn the Witch and True Love Waits. Burn the Witch because it's comparatively a bit unadventurous and feels like it's mainly there to be a single, and True Love Waits because... well, I'm not sure yet. I wasn't expecting it to sound like the live version, but it still surprised me. Maybe I'm too familiar with it and can't help but hear it as a mangled old Radiohead song that doesn't belong on here. Maybe if I'd heard the live acoustic Motion Picture Soundtrack first, I'd have felt the same way about the Kid A version.

I feel like next to True Love Waits, The Numbers is going to be the most divisive track on here. It's the most unapologetically psychedelic pop-sounding thing they've ever done, and the arrangement is quite busy, but I think it really works.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's too bad AMSP doesn't open with Ful Stop, and save Burn The Witch for the midpoint.

I was thinking exactly this 2/3 of the way through my first listen. Even just opening with Ful Stop and keeping the rest of the track order the same feels like it flows better.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 9, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
1. Ful Stop
2. Glass Eyes
3. Daydreaming
4. Burn the Witch
5. Decks Dark
6. Desert Island Disk
7. Present Tense
8. Identikit
9. Tinker Tailor

(B Side to the Burn the Witch single) The Numbers
(B Side to the Identikit single) True Love Waits

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

If only it were a Pomeranian.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6GUYHunE1c

[Radiohead song] was good live and pretty different before it appeared on [album].

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
The more I listen to A Moon Shaped Pool, the more my affection for it wanes. I don't think in the long term I'm going to consider it one of Radiohead's better albums.

Identikit is loving brilliant in a way I can barely articulate, though. Melancholic, bombastic, and funky all at once, and every part of it works. It just feels like a new signature Radiohead song, and I don't know if I've truly felt that way about anything else they've done since maybe Nude. And among the songs they debuted live in 2012, this was the one I was least excited about. What a wonderful surprise this turned out to be.

Edit: Ful Stop and Decks Dark are great, too, but holy poo poo do I love Identikit.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Combining my old last.fm (which I haven't used since last year) and my current music player, here's my top 10 Radiohead songs in play frequency:

1. Everything in its Right Place (Kid A + I Might Be Wrong + every bootleg I have on which they play this)

2. Like Spinning Plates

3. Reckoner (I forgot this was my favorite track on In Rainbows back when it came out and I listened to it a ton then.)

4. Videotape

5. Idioteque

6. Nude

7. Ful Stop

8. Glass Eyes

9. Identikit (No big secret what my favorite stretch of A Moon Shaped Pool is, I guess.)

10. Pyramid Song

This list would look very, very different with car listens included.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

BigFactory posted:

Do other NMD threads constantly dissolve into people ranking albums? this is uncanny.

If we had a dedicated Frank Zappa or King Crimson thread, those would.

Radiohead are an extremely popular band who changed their sound considerably, multiple times, over the course of their career. Their most critically successful albums came after their most significant reinvention of their sound. It's entirely possible to be a Radiohead fan while liking none of the same songs as another Radiohead fan. A constantly evolving, difficult to categorize band that a lot of people are passionate about for different reasons + no consensus among fans as to what their best work even is = lists lists lists lists lists.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 7, 2016

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
You might say I'm not optimistic about my chance of getting tickets tomorrow! :)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Got my Kansas City tickets. In not as nice seats as I would have liked, but at least I got them.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Okay, I peeked. I'd be happy with either of those setlists, honestly. Three of my most-wanted songs were played at the Miami show, but not Atlanta.

Climbing Up the Walls, Nude, Identikit

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 3, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Just got back from the Kansas City show. Where I End and You Begin was the most unexpected song of the night, and I believe they also played Give Up the Ghost for the first time this tour.

The sound was about as good as I could reasonably expect from a stadium show—though some of the louder songs, particularly Airbag, were a barely distinguishable wall of noise.

It turns out Bloom loving rules live, and might've been the highlight of the whole set for me.

I was kind of disappointed they didn't play Everything in Its Right Place—I figured that song was a sure thing at pretty much every Radiohead concert. No Climbing Up the Walls either, but I wasn't expecting it—just strongly hoping for it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Real Name Grover posted:

Not sure why you're spoiler-tagging all that, but uh, I was surprised how great the live renditions of "Burn the Witch," "Ful Stop" and "Identikit" were (OK, I heard them do the last one when they were in KC five years ago, but I wasn't as familiar w/ it as I am now).

I was worried someone would yell at me about setlist spoilers if I didn't. :shrug:

I also enjoyed the live version of Burn the Witch, probably more than the album version.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I think High and Dry is the only song they hate so much that they'll never play it again. I don't think they've played it since 1996, and the one show I've heard from that era has Thom Yorke introducing it saying something like "it's a useless loving pop song, it doesn't mean anything."

Ballz posted:

Would rather they brought back You or Blow Out, tho.

That same show (Pinkpop Festival 1996) has an absolutely killer performance of You that doesn't seem to be on YouTube anymore. It might be my favorite pre-Bends song of theirs on the basis of that performance alone.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 11, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Where are you seeing that Big Boots is on this at all?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
This does leave a worrying thought in the back of my mind—with this release, Radiohead have tied up all their loose ends, haven't they? There aren't anymore rarely played, semi-mythical unreleased songs except for, like, their cover of Thief.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Man O'War is good enough to have been a standout among the OK Computer B-Sides. Lift is good enough to have been on The Bends instead of Bullet Proof or something. I Promise is just kind of a dud.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I know I'm super late making this discovery, but I have the recommendations in this thread to thank for it—The King of Limbs: Live from the Basement is extremely good. I'm not sure if it's the different arrangements, more acoustic instruments, addition of the singles, different track order, or all of the above, but suddenly Radiohead's pleasant but forgettable electronic album is this spellbinding weird jazz/funk thing that I felt like I was hearing for the first time and is easily the best thing they've done since In Rainbows. Codex and Give Up the Ghost are both much more enjoyable when they're not back to back. How did I not completely love Lotus Flower before? How did I not even notice Separator?!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
No idea why Daily Mail and Staircase didn't make the album—it should have had the same setlist and track order from TKoL: Live from the Basement. Putting Codex and Give Up the Ghost back to back, and not ending the album with Give Up the Ghost, were their biggest mistakes.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I've never been the biggest fan of The Bends as a whole, but Planet Telex -> The Bends -> High and Dry -> Fake Plastic Trees is a remarkably good sequence of tracks. Yes, even High and Dry, which may be a useless pop song that's about nothing at all, but it's a good useless pop song that's about nothing at all.

As for HTTT, I've always felt Sit Down, Stand Up sounded like it belonged somewhere later in the album (maybe after Backdrifts?), but I dunno what would work better as a second track except maybe Go to Sleep. 2 + 2 = 5 was absolutely the perfect track to begin the album with, though, and that's the main reason I was never able to get behind Thom Yorke's proposed alternative track list.

In Rainbows is the only Radiohead album where they got the sequence of tracks so perfect that I don't think I've even entertained the idea of an alternative tracklisting. (I guess technically Kid A too, if combining it with Amnesiac doesn't count.)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

quote:

55:50 Full band song that sounds vaguely familiar but I can’t identify @ soundcheck

I really like this track from disc 3, but also am not sure if this is something previously unheard or not. That and the versions of Nude and Motion Picture Soundtrack from the same disc are my favorite bits from what I've listened to so far. Also, multiple early performances of Paranoid Android with the organ outro!

I gotta say though that the full band True Love Waits kinda sucks, and it's not surprising that they never released it in anything close to this form. And the misguided attempts at a heavy version of Last Flowers are hilarious.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I don't know if the disc 16 tracklisting is necessarily indicative of this, but if they initially intended to have A Reminder follow The Tourist as the last track on OK Computer, that actually would've worked pretty well.

Also, what the gently caress was going through my head a few years ago that I chose it, out of all Radiohead songs, for my wedding playlist? I guess True Love Waits would've been a more cynical choice, but not by much.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I assume there's probably still a substantial amount of recordings from around this time that haven't leaked, considering Man of War and Meeting in the Aisle are nowhere to be found among any of these discs.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 12, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I still haven't listened to that or Attention in all my skipping around. I need to get on that as soon as I get home. Is it, like, Pop is Dead terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Bangers and Mash is fun, and rivals Dollars and Cents as the closest they've come to sounding like Damo Suzuki-era Can.