Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hedrigall posted:

Neither sadly. Was a bonus track on A Moon Shaped Pool’s limited edition disc 2, along with Spectre.
Ugh, it had me hopeful that there was a new album coming which went in a direction I actually enjoyed :(

Oh well. The song's still good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ill Wind sounded more interesting than how I remember AMSP sounding, though it has been a while since I listened to all of AMSP. Is there more like this on there? Should I listen to the album again?

I just don't think AMSP made much of an impression on me. It kinda came and went in my mind. Nothing on that album was as exciting to me as anything on In Rainbows or The Eraser or Hail to the Thief or Amnesiac or Kid A etc.

Yes, I count The Eraser as a canon Radiohead album. The songs on it are way tighter than anything on TKOL or AMSP, even 13 years later.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ICHIBAHN posted:

Eraser ain't Radiohead
It's a more satisfying listen than just about everything Radiohead's done for over a decade

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steve2911 posted:

I loved AMOK and really wished we got more of that.
Hell yeah, AMOK was good poo poo. I haven't listened to it in a long rear end time though.

I remember it wasn't on Spotify for a long time but it looks like it's there now! I think I remember hearing about it coming to Spotify, I just forgot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Thom and the Heads posted:

so many opinions packed into this post about an album it sounds like you listened to once. lol just listen to AMSP again it's good i promise (I Promise is not a good song but luckily it is not on AMSP, which is good)
I've listened to AMSP in full a few times, it's just that each time I listen to it, nothing from it sticks with me at all haha

I'll give it another shot, I've just not gotten anything out of it in the past :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm listening to AMSP again right now. It...doesn't sound like a Radiohead album for the most part. It sounds more like a film score, or an experimental Thom solo project, or Thom appearing on another artist's music. The Eraser sounds more like a Radiohead album. It would make sense that it would sound like a film score, considering both Jonny and Thom have done film scores, but still, that ain't Radiohead.

Not that every Radiohead album has to sound the same. They absolutely do not, and I appreciate them for that. But this just doesn't have what I listen to Radiohead for. The framework of their previous albums seems largely absent here.

It sounds like the Radiohead I know and love on tracks like Decks Dark, Ful Stop and Identikit, but the entire album doesn't keep up that spirit unfortunately. Had it just been an EP with all the non-Radiohead sounding stuff trimmed off, I probably would've enjoyed it far more. But unfortunately it's less than a handful of great tracks with a bunch more snoozers.

TKOL is absolutely better. I'm not crazy about a lot of TKOL either, but if given the choice between listening to TKOL or AMSP again, I'd choose TKOL no question.

e: Listening to Ill Wind immediately after AMSP, I honestly believe this one track is better than that whole album. I mean goddamn, at least it sounds like Radiohead. The bassline, the creepy haunting synth, the drumming, Thom's voice just melting into the instruments...it's all there.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 14, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

hughesta posted:

TKOL is horribly underrated but I'm not really sure how AMSP doesn't sound like Radiohead
It's like too orchestral lol

Even though Radiohead has used orchestral elements here and there in their music for like 20 years, as BeanpolePeckerwood said:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not really a slight to say that AMSP is like a Johnny Greenwood soundtrack (even though the group itself has always flirted with soundtrack ideas)
It just leans too heavily in that direction, I feel, and foregoes a lot of the more traditional Radiohead instrumentation in favor of that outside of a few songs.

It's not terrible, but like I said, it's not what I listen to Radiohead for either. If I wanted to listen to a film score, there are other film scores I'd rather listen to instead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

1) Kid A
2) OK Computer
3) In Rainbows
4) HTTT
5) Amnesiac
6) TKOL
7) The Bends
8) Pablo Honey
9) AMSP

Honestly I'm really not sure about a few of these. I know Kid A is my favorite and AMSP is my least favorite, but I've never really thought about how some of the others would rank.

I don't revisit some of these albums often at all anymore, like TKOL, The Bends and Pablo Honey.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pirate Jet posted:

Anyways, yes, I fully agree with Volte’s post - I genuinely don’t know how AMSP got to be known as their “orchestral” album.
Because the strings/orchestral arrangements are loving all over that album lol

Yes, they've appeared in their other work dating back a couple decades, but not quite to the degree that they show up in AMSP.

Idk if y'all listen to post-rock, but one of my favorite post-rock bands is Mono. They've been around since the early 2000s, and strings have appeared in their music for years and years, but that's not the main focus of their music or anything. Then I think it was their album For My Parents that came out and the strings were in full force, taking a larger role in the music than they ever had before and seeming to take precedence over the type of instrumentation I know and love them for. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't what I wanted out of a Mono album and I almost never revisit that album anymore because of it.

I feel similarly about AMSP.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HTTT loving rules and I've loved that album ever since I first heard it in 2003. There's just so much great, creepy atmosphere going on in it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

HTTT has the best opening 20 minute run of RH's entire career.
2+2=5 into Sit Down Stand Up is seriously one of the best combinations of opening tracks I've ever heard on any album ever

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hedrigall posted:

The first 6 tracks are perfect, and the album only gets bogged down in the middle with We Suck Young Blood and The Gloaming. It’s still a fantastic album overall.
I used to dislike those tracks when I first heard the album back in '03 but I've come around on them big time with age. You can basically see large sections of The King of Limbs, The Eraser and Tomorrow's Modern Boxes all being conceived from The Gloaming.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is this a different massive OK Computer era leak than Towering Above the Rest?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think I'm more excited for the Paul Thomas Anderson film than the album, but both could be cool.

Though while I love The Eraser and Amok, Tomorrow's Modern Boxes really didn't stick with me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New Thom solo album is out and it's very trippy and cool. I gotta watch the Paul Thomas Anderson thing now.

e: The visual component is cool too, I just wish it wasn't a third of the length of the album. It's basically an extended music video covering a few songs from the album.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 27, 2019

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Blast Fantasto posted:

I want to listen again, but my first impression last night was that I preferred this to any of his other solo stuff.
I still prefer The Eraser because it has a special place in my heart and I think the songwriting was stronger on that one, but I've listened to this one twice and it's pretty great! Definitely gonna stick with me more than Tomorrow's Modern Boxes did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Runwayaway almost feels like the sequel to Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors with that same vocal effect.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening again and this is definitely my favorite thing I've heard from Thom since Amok 6 years ago.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

A new Thom interview!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBuj29gFvsM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Yo54Xoxq3g

This is sooooooooo good and I can't loving believe it aired on Kimmel of all places.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HTTT is wonderful. I didn't know it was recorded live either, but that just makes me like it even more!

asecondduck posted:

The way 2+2=5 starts is probably one of my favorite album openers.
2+2=5 into Sit Down. Stand Up. remains one of my favorite album openers ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Was this posted yet? Because it's beautiful. Just Thom and a piano.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBTORzFlPd8

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Looks like they're reissuing their old shirts too! Hell yeah! Now I can finally get back this hand-me-down (it was my brother's first) one I had in the mid-00s:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oops, I just spent 2 hours watching old live performances from the 90s :shobon:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Are the videos on the site constantly buffering for anyone else or is it just me?

e: nvm, it finally seems to be working

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 23, 2020

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

actionjackson posted:

That looks like some sort of 80s leisure outfit.

I just got "The Eraser" on vinyl. I haven't heard it before but I just assumed it would be good, and it is!
The Eraser's still my favorite solo album of his, followed by Anima. Does Atoms for Peace count as a Thom solo album? That's somewhere in there too.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just getting around to this stuff.

Edward Mass posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK3cm-xO2XY

This is going to be an interesting album.
This is good, and so is this

Pontificating rear end posted:

They released footage from a concert in 2000 playing the majority of Kid A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJKOUQS1T4
that really hit the spot

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just listened to Earth for the first time and it's not bad but it's certainly no The Eraser/Anima either. It's not an album I can see myself revisiting very often.

Banksters and Olympik were the coolest tracks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember downloading the MP3s when it first came out, then buying the CD with its DIY packaging when that came out. Man, that's a great album :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Austin City Limits Fest is rebroadcasting sets from previous years this weekend. Part of Radiohead's set from 2016 is on tonight at 10:45 Central.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqJrDKy56RA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l11QjxNuk1U

This reminded me of the Rainydayz album. RIP DOOM :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New old From the Basement set from 2005 with Thom playing tracks from In Rainbows/In Rainbows Disk 2 and The Eraser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHs15fe8AnE

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just finished watching and I liked it quite a bit! Hope they put out an album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw8dL4tMDlg

15 years old today! I remember buying this CD the day it came out. I still think it's better than the last couple Radiohead albums. And that artwork, oh man.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1418702103179145219

:bisonyes:

Gonna be such a dope album

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like it but it doesn't feel like it's from that Kid A/Amnesiac era

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005