Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the debate?
Donald Trump
Ted Cruz
Marco Rubio
Jeb! Bush
Ben Carson
John Kasich
Jim Gilmore
Antonin Scalia
View Results

• Locked thread
Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

Marco Rubio's probably memorizing a few 30-second bits about jurisprudence right now to work into tonight's debate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CornflakeS.Pecially posted:

Marco Rubio's probably memorizing a few 30-second bits about jurisprudence right now to work into tonight's debate

"Let's dispel with this fiction that Antonin Scalia doesn't know what's he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing."

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Come home from the drat liquor store to this. drat it, the night's getting weird already.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Yessssss

Time to stock up on vodka & nachos

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Will there be standing o for Scalia

I was standing and had an o when I heard, so perhaps

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Come home from the drat liquor store to this. drat it, the night's getting weird already.

Just when you think you've hit peak 2016 election cycle...

I feel pretty bad for Scalia's family - dude had dinner, went to bed fine, and then they find him dead in the morning. Dark.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

And here we go ...

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/698634625246195712

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

I like that the Republicans are going to try to block Obama (you know, the guy who is president for the next year) from nominating a new justice for 11 months (a full 3 months past the start of the next SC session). This debate is going to get really interesting if the moderators mentions that.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

squidgee posted:

Just when you think you've hit peak 2016 election cycle...

I feel pretty bad for Scalia's family - dude had dinner, went to bed fine, and then they find him dead in the morning. Dark.

Yeah, its a shock, but its pretty much the least traumatizing way for a relative to go IMO. (as long as you didn't curse them at the dinner table or kick them out of bed or something)

Much rather lose a loved one at the age of 80 in their sleep after he had a day of hunting than in a freak car accident or perverse case of demnetia

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ugh this debates gonna get coated in hefty spurts of Scalia worship isn't it :sigh:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

squidgee posted:

I like that the Republicans are going to try to block Obama (you know, the guy who is president for the next year) from nominating a new justice for 11 months (a full 3 months past the start of the next SC session). This debate is going to get really interesting if the moderators mentions that.

He can nominate them all he wants they just won't confirm anyone.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Can we get Scalia's Ghost up on the poll tia

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I hope they quote passages from Scalia's dissenting opinion on Obamacare. Haven't heard "Interpretive jiggery-pokery" used in context in a long time.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

cheesetriangles posted:

He can nominate them all he wants they just won't confirm anyone.

Whoops, I worded wrong. I meant appoint.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Brannock posted:

That's seriously huge news. If Obama can somehow manage to get an appointee onto the Court before his term is out then that changes the entire tenor of the Presidential election.

It may change the tenor of the election even more if he can't get an appointment confirmed.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
HOW DARE THEY POLITICIZE AND CRITICIZE SCALIA ON HIS DEATH. THE TASTELESSNESS.

NO ONE SHOULD APPOINT HIS SUCCESSOR UNTIL I AM ELECTED

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Zwabu posted:

It may change the tenor of the election even more if he can't get an appointment confirmed.

Yeah an open seat changes the election way more than having it be done before the election

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
hahahaha holy poo poo this debate is going to suck hard tonight

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Webbeh posted:

what???

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Joementum posted:

Well, two of them are US Senators.

Not like Rubio would bother showing up for a confirmation hearing

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

a cop posted:

what???

I can't wait to see how the candidates spin "the next President needs to appoint the next Justice" for 2 hours.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Webbeh posted:

this sums it up best:

Fried Chicken posted:

The GOP debate tonight is going to be loving amazing.

It was already going to be a bloodbath.

This is throwing sharks into the bloodbath

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The best part is all the debate prep the candidates have been doing is now all thrown out the window and we get to see which of them will fall apart when they have to speak at length on an issue they haven't prepared rehearsed talking points for.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

biznatchio posted:

The best part is all the debate prep the candidates have been doing is now all thrown out the window and we get to see which of them will fall apart when they have to speak at length on an issue they haven't prepared rehearsed talking points for.

Rubio is doomed.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

added

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

squidgee posted:

Rubio is doomed.

Rubio is a legal scholar, he should be in his element (water) tonight.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Webbeh posted:

I can't wait to see how the candidates spin "the next President needs to appoint the next Justice" for 2 hours.

Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama will appoint the next supreme court justice

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

biznatchio posted:

Trump and Cruz are going to come out on top. No one else is clever enough to adjust this quickly.

squidgee posted:

Rubio is doomed.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Brannock posted:

Trump and Cruz are going to come out on top. No one else is clever enough to adjust this quickly.

Jeb! is enough of a wonk to have something coherent to say on the matter, but the world will continue to collectively not give a poo poo what he says.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Rubio should also be dominating this field of unelectables and lunatics, and yet here we are.

Him
Oct 9, 2015
JEB!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

At last, justice for baby hitler

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We've gotta make sure the will of the people nominates the next SCOTUS justice, and who better to do that than anybody other than the dude who blew our guy out in 2012 on the national stage?

Mr. World
May 6, 2007
Working undercover for the man . . .
What a loving day! The debate doesn't start for two hours and I'm am going to be so hungover tomorrow. :allears:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Ought to help the RubiOS team push a hotfix before 9

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So I guess whenever John Dickerson hosts a debate there's going to be a huge news story that derails it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

So I guess whenever John Dickerson hosts a debate there's going to be a huge news story that derails it.

We can at least rest assured that whatever questions they had planned were hot garbage terrible ones. There's nowhere to go but up!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I appreciate how Trump is willing go the extra mile just to be a petty dick to Bush.

https://twitter.com/bterris/status/698582266537050112

It is the little things that really make the difference

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

At last, baby hitler for justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I think Cruz will be extra smug tonight

• Locked thread