Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

ChorpSaway posted:

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, the real final battle(s) against Tobi! With the Tailed Beasts walloped and Tobi proving to be a non-issue, what's left for Naruto to punch? Why couldn't they have left the story on a cliffhanger? Will Naruto ever become Hokage? All these questions and more today on the finale of Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3's story mode!

Next week I'll have the last two videos of the LP up which cover all of the plot-important things from the post-game content and then we'll see what's next for the Otaku Trash Machine!
Also I was too busy to finish the bios so that'll be up before the end of this whole thing too!

Thanks for watching, and stay tuned for some of the Bonus Content of All Time next week with everyone's favorite character!

In case you don't want to watch the uncut version, let me give y'all a synopsis: :lol:

Edit: Why does Killer Bee's headband symbol look like the Starship Enterprise in profile?

Ulvirich fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

In case you don't want to watch the uncut version, let me give y'all a synopsis: :lol:

Edit: Why does Killer Bee's headband symbol look like the Starship Enterprise in profile?

It's supposed to be clouds, he's from the Village Hidden in the Clouds.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yo please do Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 soon bro. I can't wait for the reactions.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i'm really glad you used the fantasy color spread that's one of the best ones.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Gologle posted:

Yo please do Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 soon bro. I can't wait for the reactions.

we're doing some other shorter poo poo soon because yeah after like loving 6+ months of naruto we need a loving break

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
is there even enough plot left for a fourth game? like what else has to happen here

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So wait did the game actually go over exactly who/what Tobi is? Or are they saving that for Ninja Storm 4?

More importantly. How can the story get more stupid than it already has?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChorpSaway posted:

Thanks for watching, and stay tuned for some of the Bonus Content of All Time next week with everyone's favorite character!

I can't wait to see what Might Guy has been up to. No doubt single handedly beating the One-Tailed Kaiju.

Looper posted:

Is there even enough plot left for a fourth game? Like what else has to happen here?

No.

Fights, fights and bullshit escalation.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So wait did the game actually go over exactly who/what Tobi is? Or are they saving that for Ninja Storm 4?

More importantly. How can the story get more stupid than it already has?

Not yet, so yeah it's going to be a dramatic reveal with at least a half hours worth of cutscene in the sequel.

So many ways. You will not believe how bad things will get. Hell, I could tell you what happens and you'd think I was quoting lovely fan fiction. It's so good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I never imagined this LP would end with everyone wishing the game had gone all-in on Ninja Politics.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Edit: On second thought, let's let things be a surprise!

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 19, 2016

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Well, they had to do something since the arc didn't actually end for like another two loving years or whatever it was, and ending on a cliffhanger (in addition to being sort of a dick move) wouldn't allow postgame content.

Also, Naruto going "my fist says :frogout:" and punching the poo poo out of Tobi is the greatest thing.

Also, I hope you're going to LP Revolution eventually, unlike the previous filler game (the only good part of which I've already posted here) it actually does some of its own thing. Also, the mecha-Naruto story is dumb in all the best ways :allears:.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Tobi's identity, iirc, is revealed literally right after where the game ends, and it's super dumb. So dumb that when people correctly guessed it right after he was introduced, they got shouted down because everyone thought it was too dumb.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I love the fact that both Naruto and Tobi both say that Naruto is running out/is out of chakra multiple times in the fight yet the fight still ended with Naruto blasting chakra through his fist into Tobi's face. Like, if it's a clever bluff that he says aloud that's one thing, but when Naruto himself says "I'm almost out of chakra" in his inner monologue, then launches 100+ clones in the air to spam kamehamehas rasengans on the guy it's a little silly.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

U.T. Raptor posted:

Well, they had to do something since the arc didn't actually end for like another two loving years or whatever it was, and ending on a cliffhanger (in addition to being sort of a dick move) wouldn't allow postgame content.

I believe the actual war part was 2 years and the aftermath from tobi losing his mask was about a year and a half, and if it wasn't, it certainly felt like it

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

To be fair Naruto running out of Chakra still gives him the Chakra level of Kakashi or Tsunade. Naruto has a truly obscene amount of Chakra, and if he managed it correctly it'd honestly last forever.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah naruto is some kinda genetic perfect chakra storm.
First off he's uzumaki so he's pretty much a chakra nuclear generator, before the nine tails implant.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The piano music that played while you guys were talking at the very end reminded me of an uptempo version of something but dammit if I can put my finger on it. Great LP, thanks for the ride.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
blaaaaargh :barf:

Thank you for LPing this, you all.

I'm curious, Chorps et al, as certified Expert Anime Opinion-Havers: why do you think Naruto blew up to become the international shounen manga/anime sensation it has? Obviously by the point in the story that we're seeing in the LP, things have gone horribly wrong in Masashi Kishimoto-Land, but what glimmers of promise and originality in the beginning stuck around to get developed, and what got lost along the way?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Arbite posted:

The piano music that played while you guys were talking at the very end reminded me of an uptempo version of something but dammit if I can put my finger on it. Great LP, thanks for the ride.

It's a piano remix of the first Naruto ending, Wind.
And thanks for the kind words!

Ghost of Starman posted:

blaaaaargh :barf:

Thank you for LPing this, you all.

I'm curious, Chorps et al, as certified Expert Anime Opinion-Havers: why do you think Naruto blew up to become the international shounen manga/anime sensation it has? Obviously by the point in the story that we're seeing in the LP, things have gone horribly wrong in Masashi Kishimoto-Land, but what glimmers of promise and originality in the beginning stuck around to get developed, and what got lost along the way?

So I honestly didn't pay much attention to The Industry until a few years ago so I might not have the full picture and someone can correct but here are some things about Naruto that I believe helped its popularity.

- Shonen is an extremely popular genre and appeals to IIRC one of the biggest demographics for anime and manga.
- There are a lot of characters each with their own unique powers and abilities and it's pretty easy to latch on to any of them since they all play a decent role in the story at times.
- It was one of the first manga published in the English language Shonen Jump, a lot of American kids' first introduction into the world of Japanese media.
- It was about something pretty distinctly Japanese (ninja) that American kids can easily latch on to and it was about them doing magic which is pretty cool like did you see that guy blow a fire ball???
- VIZ pushed hard for the dub on Toonami during the era where Toonami was pushing more for the pre-teen/teen demographic and had a lot of the other big anime of the time airing.
- Against all the other major anime accessories, a ninja headband is a lot simpler and more convenient.

From what I understand Naruto's success lies heavily in its English audience. Not to say that it wasn't also popular in Japan, but I believe Naruto consistently outsold One Piece in the US while it was vice-versa in Japan.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

- Shonen is an extremely popular genre and appeals to IIRC one of the biggest demographics for anime and manga.
That's a bit of a tautology, isn't it? "Comics made for boys are popular with boys"?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

That's a bit of a tautology, isn't it? "Comics made for boys are popular with boys"?

I mean that shonen appeals to the largest demographic, that of younger boys.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That's what I mean, though - thinking of "shonen" as a genre at all seems misguided to me. It doesn't appeal to the largest demographic, it is the largest demographic.

I don't want to start writing a leftist thinkpiece about children's comic books in your Naruto thread, but I think it's important to keep that straight, for a few different reasons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Naruto is popular because it's Dragon Ball. I'm being reductive in a jokey way, but really there are a lot of similarities even beyond Naruto being the always-hungry shonen protag like Goku. You have the early chapters where all the (hero) characters are young and everyone has unique fighting styles and powers and sometimes people even use martial arts like whaaaat. Occasionally there are dumb victories like the time Naruto won a fight in a tournament by farting or the time Krillin advanced in the World Martial Arts Tournament when matched against a stinky man because Goku reminded him mid-fight that he doesn't have a nose... but that's just the story, silly things happen, and mostly it's enjoyable. But then Dragonball Z Naruto Shippuden happens and suddenly every other character besides Goku Naruto and Vegeta Sasuke gets less and less important as the lead characters get more and more incredible powerups and buddy if your favorite character isn't at least part-Saiyan doesn't have at least one bullshit superpower that's contained in their eyeball then you better just get ready for them to do a whole lot of nothing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, now people are making manga and animes and they're aware of the fact that 'gently caress, if I actually make other characters and they're cool like the main one then people are going to want to see them doing stuff too instead of taking the female role of saying the main character's name in a worried tone of voice in nearly every shonen ever.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: FINAL UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today it's a Sasuke Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 double feature! In these post-story missions, we learn what Sasuke has been up to during the events of the game, rebelling against all sorts of authority figures and trying to come to terms with his hosed up family. One last hurrah for the end of the LP!

Character Introduced Before This

Yugito Nii
The jinchuriki of the Two-Tailed Matatabi. She was praised in life for her pride and her courageous attitude, and was a well-regarded strategist. Her primary techniques involved using her hair to create powerful fireballs and also lengthening her nails with chakra to turn them into blades.

Yagura
The jinchuriki of the Three-Tailed Isobu and the Fourth Mizukage. He was called to the lead the Village Hidden in the Mist and was known for being cruel and brutal during his presidency, particularly to those disloyal to the village. He used a hook-ended club in battle and was known for a technique that would completely reflect attacks and jutsus in the form of a water mirror. He was controlled by Tobi during a significant portion of his reign, so this reanimation thing is really nothing new.

Roshi
The jinchuriki of the Four-Tailed Son Goku. His proficiency in Earth and Fire techniques allowed him to create molten rock, which could be used as an offensive attack or a way for Roshi to armor himself. Also he was a bad jinchuriki who never seemed to make peace or come to terms with his Tailed Beast in any way.

Han
The jinchuriki of the Five-Tailed Kokuo. He was something of a gentle giant personality-wise, but could be incredibly dangerous in battle. He created steam armor using Water and Fire techniques that would reach an incredibly high temperature and then integrate that into his taijutsu attacks.

Utakata
The jinchuriki of the Six-Tailed Saiken. He was apparently a charmer in his life, and wore a loose kimono to show off his chest. Of all the jinchuriki, he was the most agile and observant. He used a pipe and soap solution in order to fight with deadly bubbles, also adding to his incredible charm. Everyone loves a guy who can do party tricks.

Fu
The jinchuriki of the Seven-Tailed Chomei. A happy-go-lucky girl, Fu mostly just wanted to make friends and have fun. She can shoot sparklers out of her mouth, speak to people in secret over long distances, and create webs and cocoons in order to heal or trap other ninja. She had to fight for it but was able to join Naruto's Chunin exams, but was killed soon after.

The Two-Tails
One of the seven tailed beasts controlled by Tobi and taking the form of a bakeneko. He’s got a fur pattern and color scheme that would make Guy Fieri proud, and he's a very polite beast. He can also launch fireballs because I mean obviously.

The Three-Tails
One of the seven tailed beasts controlled by Tobi and taking the form of a turtle but with a crab-like shell. He’s timid but also recognizes his incredible power. He can roll into a ball as an attack, create incredible shockwaves, and also produce hallucinogenic mist.

The Four-Tails
One of the seven tailed beasts controlled by Tobi and taking the form of a big monkey gorilla. Full of pride, he can shoot lava like his host and also breathe fire. He is ready to go ape at any moment in order to protect his self-image.

The Five-Tails
One of the seven tailed beasts controlled by Tobi and taking the form of a white horse with a dolphin's head. Reserved but polite, he can gather steam like his host and infuse it into his chakra in order to do more powerful trampling.

The Six-Tails
One of the seven tailed beasts controlled by Tobi and taking the form of a big ol' slug. He is boastful but kind compared to the other beasts. He also seems to have some nasty tummy troubles that cause him to spew acid as a defense mechanism. Give that guy a pack of Tums and tell him to take a nap, he deserves it.

The Seven-Tails
One of the seven tailed beasts controlled by Tobi and taking the form of a rhinoceros beetle with crazy wings. He's rather happy-go-lucky like his host and I hate him.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks everyone for sticking through the LP! I know we had our ups and downs during it, but I think it was still a fun time overall and that once we get to UNS4 I'll be glad to finish off this saga and put Naruto behind me*. But it'll be a while until then, since my co-commentators really need a break after all this Naruto, so look forward to October when we start up a brand new LP project that's sure to be plenty of fun and extremely 2000's cool. See you then!

Also for anyone listening to Choco Disaster, I'll post this week's podcast in this thread still, but won't be doing any more updates for this thread. Time to put it to rest. It's been through a lot.

kurt phillips
Feb 1, 2014

Holy poo poo, that last fight, talk about artificial difficulty. Just give him more health bars, make him take less damage, and bam! you got yourself a tough boss fight.

So that last bit, there's no more reanimated ninja, right? Madara's army is now completely destroyed?

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

kurt phillips posted:

Holy poo poo, that last fight, talk about artificial difficulty. Just give him more health bars, make him take less damage, and bam! you got yourself a tough boss fight.

So that last bit, there's no more reanimated ninja, right? Madara's army is now completely destroyed?

As of the conclusion of that fight, which is happening in tandem to the Kage's fight with Madara, all the reanimated ninja are being sent back to the afterlife. So yes basically.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I figured Kabuto would be a final boss and was surprised he was no where to be seen in the main story. Glad I still guessed right.
Even if the damage/health values are a bit unbalanced, this still seems like a far more fun fight than either Madaras, if only because the mechanics are a lot more basic and traditional. And that was pretty clever use of the Izanami gimmick even if it just looked like infinite health bars and repeating QTEs between boss phases.
Being stuck in an infinite loop with Sasuke would turn anyone into a vegetable really. Also worth mentioning is the technique's amazingly stupid escape clause, namely that whoever is hit by it needs to have a genuine total change in character to be able to leave the loop.

I totally did not remember Kabuto eating Kimimari and the Sound 4 though.

HGH fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 26, 2016

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

You won't defeat me by becoming Dr. Snakes!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Thank you for your service, gentlemen

White Coke
May 29, 2015

HGH posted:

Also worth mentioning is the technique's amazingly stupid escape clause, namely that whoever is hit by it needs to have a genuine total change in character to be able to leave the loop.

It's more that one has to accept their fate, which in Kabuto's case was coming to terms with the fact that no matter how many peoples' special DNA exclusive abilities he took he would never become as good as Naruto or the Uchiha clan. Such is the fate of a secondary antagonist who seeks to become a main character.

Looper posted:

Thank you for your service, gentlemen

Ditto, and I look forward to seeing UNS4 and Naruto Online when you've recovered.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
So... how many tries did it take to get an S on the Kabuto fight? I had to actually write down all the QTE's so I could get all 29 of them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ChorpSaway posted:

Today it's a Sasuke Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 double feature! In these post-story missions, we learn what Sasuke has been up to during the events of the game, rebelling against all sorts of authority figures and trying to come to terms with his hosed up family. One last hurrah for the end of the LP!
The words "Sasuke" and "hurrah" don't belong in the same paragraph. I suggest "last wet fart".

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sasuke Shippuden is an accurate name for the series as a whole. Seeing as Sasuke has nearly as much if not more screen time then Naruto.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

mateo360 posted:

So... how many tries did it take to get an S on the Kabuto fight? I had to actually write down all the QTE's so I could get all 29 of them.

The S-Rank was my first attempt where I finished the fight. There were probably more than 10 takes where I reset early because I was getting too rear end-kicked for the LP. Maybe half of them made it to phase 2 of the Itachi bit.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You know what? Forget Jay, FutureFriend and that third guy! I'm gonna get excited about Sasuke, since no one else will do it! Okay, here goes, I'm charging up! I'm gonna-

http://i.imgur.com/ApwZuKN.mp4

Itachi's super jutsu was probably my favorite one in this game.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

As of the conclusion of that fight, which is happening in tandem to the Kage's fight with Madara, all the reanimated ninja are being sent back to the afterlife. So yes basically.

So wow I guess we'll never see Madara again, huh. :rolleyes:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
So, like, watching the last game, I felt like the story was goofy and bad, but it at least felt like a complete story, and the fighting game stuff looked pretty fun.

This one just wasn't a story at all. I know that's probably an issue that comes from dividing this show into like, four or five parts, but in this one absolutely nothing got resolved. Two big villains came out and had fights, and then they just said "well bye" and hosed off. You killed a bunch of guys who you had already killed in the last game, and they didn't really do anything interesting with the characters coming back except for them going "okay let's fight now".

And the epilogue stuff in the last one was kinda goofy and charming, with the bird grabbing and the introduction of Killer Bee, but this was just "here's an exceptionally long and tedious boss fight against a smug nerd who's also a snake". I pity Chorps for having to do TEN TAKES of that poo poo.

Most of all I'm just most disappointed at how minor and pointless a role Danzo played. He seemed to be the only thing that brought everyone joy.

Still, even if the game was bad, the LP was great and I'm sad to see it go, but congrats on finishing. Everything is now Danzo until the next one.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

TwoPair posted:

So wow I guess we'll never see Madara again, huh. :rolleyes:

Which one?

And the epilogue with Kabuto should have been part of the main game, since the dispelling of the zombie spell would make a much better reason for the Madaras to run away instead of just running off in a huff since they got beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

Which one?

And the epilogue with Kabuto should have been part of the main game, since the dispelling of the zombie spell would make a much better reason for the Madaras to run away instead of just running off in a huff since they got beaten.

The undead one that should be (re)dead but I'm assuming will be in the next game anyway.

• Locked thread